X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell yes...

Comment

Cheers guys

It's currently running a 4" narrowed beam, dropped spindles and 944 discs hence the 6" ET52 wheels tuck quite nicely

Plans for it:
      -Steering rack conversion. The steering box hangs really bloody low on these buses; it is the thing that hits the floor as it's about 3" lower than the bumper. Being almost 50 years old, it has some slack in it as well, so the steering is not as tight as I'd like it. The common choice is to cut the chassis rails at an angle either side of the steering box, and weld it about 40mm higher.
      I'm not liking the idea of going to all of the effort to chop up the chassis rails for more clearance, only to still end up with crappy steering. So, plan is to either buy a kit which has just come onto the market (there are others that have been out longer, but don't think they're good enough for what I want) which is about £800... Obviously that is a lot of money, so I'm seriously considering sourcing the parts and having a go at creating my own rack conversion; but don't want the bus to be off the road too long.

The kit will essentially raise all of the steering components by around 50mm, involves no cutting of the chassis rails or floors, is fully bolt on and would make the steering a lot lighter, and a lot tighter. Potentially a lot more money/effort than a box raise, but in the long run I think it's the best option.

Once the steering components are out of harms way, it shall be going lower

Comment

Originally posted by dillon7 View Post
        The things I would do to own one of these
        Amen brother. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by JSM Graphics View Post
          Cheers guys

It's currently running a 4" narrowed beam, dropped spindles and 944 discs hence the 6" ET52 wheels tuck quite nicely

Plans for it:
          -Steering rack conversion. The steering box hangs really bloody low on these buses; it is the thing that hits the floor as it's about 3" lower than the bumper. Being almost 50 years old, it has some slack in it as well, so the steering is not as tight as I'd like it. The common choice is to cut the chassis rails at an angle either side of the steering box, and weld it about 40mm higher.
          I'm not liking the idea of going to all of the effort to chop up the chassis rails for more clearance, only to still end up with crappy steering. So, plan is to either buy a kit which has just come onto the market (there are others that have been out longer, but don't think they're good enough for what I want) which is about £800... Obviously that is a lot of money, so I'm seriously considering sourcing the parts and having a go at creating my own rack conversion; but don't want the bus to be off the road too long.

The kit will essentially raise all of the steering components by around 50mm, involves no cutting of the chassis rails or floors, is fully bolt on and would make the steering a lot lighter, and a lot tighter. Potentially a lot more money/effort than a box raise, but in the long run I think it's the best option.

Once the steering components are out of harms way, it shall be going lower

Comment

Working...
          X