No announcement yet.

1989 Saab 900 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Carling Contura switches, and I've used them in severe-service applications for years. Never had one fail yet. OTRATTW has always treated me extremely well.

Comment

Sweet, another 900 on here! Looking forward to see what you end up doing to it man, I'm struggling to choose how I'm going to lower mine. The lowest springs available to my knowledge are Intrax or Abbott Racing (the ones for 16" wheels). There's also a dude on Saabcentral who used to build height adjustable setups, but his setups were pretty expensive and I have no idea if he still makes them.
      SAAB 900 T16s

Comment

if any saab ive ever wanted its the 900. do work son!

Comment

Thanks Sam, those look pretty nice, but I guess I should've specified that I'm looking for more raw switches. Plain old toggles will do just fine!

reiernumans, I'm not aware of anything that I would consider affordable that goes lower. I know there's an awesome track build thread out there somewhere where buddy welded in towers in the rear and modified everything to fit some Honda coilovers...but that's pretty invasive. I'll try and find the link regardless. It's pretty cool!

I'm going to take a shot at rebuilding my power steering pump soon, once the seals come in. Should be fun. Get the car running a little better!
          2001 VW Golf GTI 1.8t
          1989 Saab 900 (base model)

Comment

I'll go dig for the adjustable setup I found on Saab Central and post link(s) when/if I find it! The world needs more slammed 900's.
            SAAB 900 T16s

Comment

It really does. I've got a couple projects yet before that happens though. Despite being my winter beater, she didn't see much winter last year.
              2001 VW Golf GTI 1.8t

Comment

Found the adjustable setup I was talking about!

SAAB 900 T16s

Comment

That's amazing! I never thought to do something like that. I wonder how it holds up over time.

Unfortunately life hasn't allowed me much time to do anything lately. I did order some swtiches for the dash though and bought some sandpaper to start sanding things down to paint. Maybe someday I'll actually get to do it...
                  2001 VW Golf GTI 1.8t

Comment

I've gotten a couple little projects done over the last month. Usually quite rushed since I'm working at a hobby club but I have a few pictures. What I've done since last time:

- Sandblasted and repainted steelies gold (bead was rusted and wasn't holding air)
                    - Put toggle switch in for turn signals
                    - Replaced right front outer tie rod
                    - Purchased period correct roof box (Volkswagen Dealer option), period correct bike carriers
                    - Started patching bottoms of door (pictures!)

Here are a few pictures. I don't know that much about body work so we figured this was the perfect opportunity to try!

2001 VW Golf GTI 1.8t

Comment

Originally posted by reiernumans View Post
                      Found the adjustable setup I was talking about!

This is my first post on here because I've just been lurking. But depending on how low you want go you do not need the weight jack parts for the front springs on this model 900. I have 92 900s with 16x8 wheel (12 offset) and 185/55 tire. On my setup I'm running 700# springs with no weight jack and I have I two finger gap between my wheel and front fender.

If you need any more info on lowering just ask I have some knowledge on it. Good luck with your build buddy.

Comment

Interesting, good to know! And thanks. Bit of a slow project being in school at the same time but slowly I'm making progress. She's definitely reliable!
                        2001 VW Golf GTI 1.8t

Comment

The plans to finish the doors this week went to complete shit for a couple reasons. Group project, my buddy is moving early, and flat tires. I went out to my cars yesterday to notice a flat on the GTI, so I figured I'd just drive the Saab - but it had a flat. The GTI's tire was off bead sitting there so I took the Saab and this morning when I woke up it had two flats. My buddy offered to deal with the tires tonight though while I do this project. Hopefully Saturday I can get the doors finished!

And would you guys like a little video to experience the Saab? I think you would. I'll try and get a little something together.
                          2001 VW Golf GTI 1.8t

Comment

Wasn't able to get a video done this weekend. But I fixed my flat tires. The rims were rust pitted pretty bad. Took the tires off, ground down the bead of the rim, put a shit ton of bead sealer on and she's good. Worked on the door a bit but made no significant progress and forgot to take pictures.

2001 VW Golf GTI 1.8t

Comment

Working...
                            X