Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teeson1111
    replied
    some pics my sister took from the last event at Monroe. I love open drifts.

DSC_0147 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

DSC_0175 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

DSC_0196 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

DSC_0433 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

DSC_0435 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

DSC_0437 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

had a bunch of non car friends come down and took them all for ride alongs, good times. That was my first day doing real tandem, once I was warmed up and getting comfortable, Nick pushed me to lead and that was the kick I needed. Spent the day in tandem group, had a few close calls but didn't add a single scratch to my car or anyone else's.

My new exhaust however was hitting the front U joint, so after tech I took it out and hammered if flat ish. Then broke an exhaust stud on the header, also found some melted wiring loom. Got to deal with that this week before Pumpkin smash. Also had an incident when the starter heat soaked so bad it wouldn't start the car, bought a heat blanket and some wire covering from DEI to solve those issues.

Leave a comment:

• Skervey
    replied
    Well that's good to know that motor likes to shake. I need to check my motor mounts, my kit took one style of motor mount for one side and another style for the other side. I had a lot of issues with my kit from granny speed. I think I just had a bad apple. I have never had a 5.0 before so don't know if its more or less shake then normal. I have never driven a rotary or a 5.0 and now I have a 5.0 rotary car! Lots still to learn but thanks for the help and the killer build thread!

Meech- Do it! Its an amazing car and you can pick them up for so cheap!
    Last edited by Skervey; 10-14-2015, 07:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• meech
    replied
    i want an rx7 now

Leave a comment:

• Teeson1111
    replied
    Originally posted by Skervey View Post
    New motor mounts would be nice I get a lot of vibrations from the motor in high revs. More then I would ever think to get. I thought it was the drive shaft but after driving the car a bit iv found that the vibrations are based on RPM and not speed.

Well they aren't the smoothest engines.. But if you're getting a death shake, it could be the flywheel or the harmonic balancer as well. You can get new engine mounts, the Granny's kit uses Galaxy engine mounts. I want to switch to fox style for the aftermarket options.

Leave a comment:

• Skervey
    replied
    New motor mounts would be nice I get a lot of vibrations from the motor in high revs. More then I would ever think to get. I thought it was the drive shaft but after driving the car a bit iv found that the vibrations are based on RPM and not speed.

Leave a comment:

• Teeson1111
    replied
    Man very cool things going on with your car! I hope your numbers were low because if your are that low I know my more or less stock setup is going to be very low! I did some math and knowing how my 01 mustang GT was and how much power it made (bone stock) I feel that the mazda is just as fast so did the math and it looks like mine should be around the 210hp and 250tq. Maybe I will strap mine down and find out one day!

Also I agree with you on the granny kit, it could be made a bit better and the way you have midified yours makes it much eiser to get the bolts out to drop the trans.

Anymore videos of your car?
    Numbers seem low for how the car drives is what I think it is. Accounting for a 15% drivetrain loss those numbers are 245 hp and 315 ft-lb at the crank. Which is a bit better than factory while maintaining a wicked torque curve.
    I'm tempted to make my own version that uses fox pedestal style engine mounts. That style comes in poly and a few other options as well as being easy to drop in. We'll see.
    I have some videos from the last drift day, ill try and get a decent one or two this time round and work on finding a site to host them on that doesn't make it look like it was filmed with a potato lol.

Originally posted by Zach Thomas View Post
    Both cars are looking awesome! Maybe before I bolt in my trans again I'll mod the crossmember the same way. Cleaning the over spray off made the racecar look much more proper haha
    Thanks, ya should have done it sooner.
    I'd recommend doing if if your welder is up to the task. It's some thick stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Zach Thomas
    replied
    Both cars are looking awesome! Maybe before I bolt in my trans again I'll mod the crossmember the same way. Cleaning the over spray off made the racecar look much more proper haha

Leave a comment:

• Skervey
    replied
    Man very cool things going on with your car! I hope your numbers were low because if your are that low I know my more or less stock setup is going to be very low! I did some math and knowing how my 01 mustang GT was and how much power it made (bone stock) I feel that the mazda is just as fast so did the math and it looks like mine should be around the 210hp and 250tq. Maybe I will strap mine down and find out one day!

Also I agree with you on the granny kit, it could be made a bit better and the way you have midified yours makes it much eiser to get the bolts out to drop the trans.

Anymore videos of your car? I did another one for mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVGh22uhpwk

Leave a comment:

• Teeson1111
    replied
    Originally posted by Grime View Post
    Don't know if I missed it, but what are your plans for the offseason?
    Body kit
    Hydro
    Paint/wrap
    Power steering
    And a bunch of small random little wiring changes

We'll see what else I can afford haha

Leave a comment:

• Grime
    replied
    Don't know if I missed it, but what are your plans for the offseason?

Leave a comment:

• Teeson1111
    replied
    Originally posted by TWM Performance View Post
    I love how the drift FC looks! Such a shame that the fender on your daily FC had to get smashed into. You planning on fixing it? It looks pristine otherwise.

- Renato
    oh its fixed lol. Guy who hit it his insurance covered the repair. Like 1400 later or so, car should have been written off but when the adjuster saw it he didn't (thankfully) because the hit was so minor.

IMG_0061 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

All good. Got it done at a small local shop called Candy Autobody. Pretty happy with the paint match and stuff. They even got a brand new OEM fender.

a certain someone got me hooked on this Noah Gunderson guy. Still have to go back and listen to the rest of his albums but this is good. Dark, intense and reminds me of Sufjan Stevens and or Damien Rice in moments.

IMG_0018 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

went to a local shop's Dyno day. They were really confused by the switch panel, and really impressed with the torque curve.

IMG_0034 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

topped out at 213 HP and 274 ft-lb. I felt like that number was a bit low, next day I went to Evergreen and found out why.

1st lap in felt fine, maybe a little cold.
    2nd lap something felt off,
    3rd lap had no power and shut down mid corner.

I knew I had a full tank and it felt/sounded like fuel. went to the pits and sure enough fuel pressure was dropping even in neutral. So went to the local Autozone and got an FD fuel pump. side note, auto zone employees are useless, and even more so on a sunday. The most painful parts store experience of my life probably.
    Threw it in there, good to go. Car felt way faster and stronger through the rev's than before. the Walbro was screaming so I really should have dealt with it sooner lol.
    Shoutout to Rhys and Zach for helping get her fixed up real quick.
    Family came out to watch and get a ride or two, I only crashed once

IMG_0081 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

IMG_0079 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

caught a bit of grip at the top of the bank, I think I initiated at a faster speed than I had been all day and flew off the top onto the gravel. slid down onto a dirt pile they have from a drainage trench they dug. thankfully I didn't end up in the trench. Broke my ghetto tow straps trying to get me out, but other than a debeaded tire car was good to run the rest of the day.

IMG_0030 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

oh and a dent

Which is good because the blue car was scheduled to go in for the repair and I was gonna daily drive the drift car for the week.

IMG_0043 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

doing daily things

IMG_0048 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

parking was easy

got better fuel economy than my daily. I now want a v8 or something in my everyday life.

got the daily back, fixed a coolant leak, then after chasing down a faulty water temp sender for a month or two, causing backfires that blew up 3 mufflers I got a new one

IMG_0250 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

IMG_0251 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

started prepping the car for Evergreen coming up

IMG_0280 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

cut the resonators out of my exhaust, they surprisingly reduced a lot of noise

IMG_0322 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

welded it myself, which means it needed a lot of grinding.

IMG_0276 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

modded the crossmember to fit, I have a few criticisms of the Granny's kit, one being the lack of clearance left for a dual exhaust.

on the subject of clearance, heres my wheel clearance with 17x9 et 0 and abercrombie rack spacers

IMG_0282 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

IMG_0281 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

not sure where imma get more, maybe the extended ball joints. deal with it when I get or make modded knuckles.

then long time coming, I took some acetone to the overspray after seeing my sister and her boyfriend do it to his matte black beater

IMG_0323 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

turned out decent. paint is still crap but its one colour.

then gave them a bath, and thats all i got for now.

IMG_0336 by Tyson Floris, on Flickr

gonna do some maintenance before the next 2 events and then the offseason festivities can begin.

Leave a comment:

• TWM Performance
    replied
    I love how the drift FC looks! Such a shame that the fender on your daily FC had to get smashed into. You planning on fixing it? It looks pristine otherwise.

- Renato

Leave a comment:

• Monster Sipper
    replied
    thnks

Leave a comment:

• Teeson1111
    replied
    Originally posted by Monster Sipper View Post
    Sweet build man, i have been doing the same thing (kindq) for a few months and stumbed upon this thread. Awesome work by the way. i might have missed it but what did you end up doing to get a radiator in there...?
    thanks, I pretty much just tilted the stock rad a bit more and moved it forward a few inches.

Originally posted by RowdyRoddinRyan View Post
    Much love man. SAVE ALL FCS! (Even if the V8 swap doesn't exactly get me giddy) Still good shit.
    ha thanks

Hope your mazda is doing good! Finally got mine running! Did a quick video of it, its not a first start but a little preview of it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qDk6RN51K4

Got to drive it a little, the 4.11 gears in the back are probably a bit to high but it seems to handle the v8 up front pretty well! But found out the trans needed to be rebuilt so its on the bench right now with a rebuild kit waiting to go in. Then should be off to the exhaust shop after and then ready for final touches!
    siiiick, get her going. ya 4.10 is a short gear for v8's but I've so far just ran taller tires to compensate.

well been a while. I've had a busy summer. and I got lazy somewhere in there.

I have an update brewing, been to a drift day since the last one. Am planning to be at Monroe again on the 17th and Western speedway for pumpkin smash on the 24/25th.

Leave a comment:

• RowdyRoddinRyan
    replied
    Much love man. SAVE ALL FCS! (Even if the V8 swap doesn't exactly get me giddy) Still good shit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X