'83 Thunderboat Dorm Room Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '83 Thunderboat Dorm Room Build

So, as is the case with most new build thread posters, I've been lurking on the forums for a while. I never planned on making a build thread but my car has been getting a lot more attention than I expected so I figured I'd share the (horribly documented) build with you guys and see how you like it.

First off, I'd like to give major props to all of the guys who document ever single step of their builds...It takes a special kind of mind to do that. I could NEVER remember to take pictures during this build.

Well, here's how I built this car from my dorm room at college.
    I was browsing craigslist in October of 2012 when I stumbled across a 1983 Thunderbird Turbocoupe. I had never actually seen one of them on the road and I thought it was the coolest looking car ever. I did some googling and it turns out no one has ever slammed one of these cars or really done much of anything to them . So, I did a quick paintchop and I was sold on the car. The car had 140k miles, it had been sitting for 8 years, and from what I was told, it was pretty clean and had been well-maintained before it was left to sit.
    I flew from WSU (where I go to college) over to Seattle, got a ride to Bellingham and saw the car for the first time. The buyer was not honest about a lot of things but I had already flown over to buy the car and I still had a vision for what I would do to the car so I bought it for $1800. The car was a piece of shit and I definitely got ripped off big time. I do not have any pictures from right after I got it but here is what it looked like a month or so after I bought it. I just "washed" the car lol
    The previous owner tried lowering the car by taking a torch to the springs...

Here are some more pictures of the piece of shit.

So, over the next 2 months after I bought the car, almost everything that could possible go wrong...went wrong. The car developed an oil leak, every ignition system component failed, thermostat failed, coolant hose burst, a wheel bearing literally exploded in the hub, the other front wheel bearing failed within a few minutes of the first one, the fuel filter was clogged, the rear brakes wore down to almost nothing, the front pads started sqeaking, the 02 sensor went bad, the coolant temp sensor went bad, the timing belt skipped a tooth, the EGR valve froze, the accessory belt started cracking, the fuel pressure regulator failed, the radiator fan broke, the intake hoses started cracking, the idle air control valve broke causing me to have a 2200 rpm idle, a bearing failed in the alternator, the voltage regulator broke causing the new alternator to put out 18 volts which fried the battery and wore out the alternator AGAIN. A bunch of other stuff broke that I can't remember but the point is...I literally bought the worst car I could have possibly bought.

Since I was living in a dorm and there was no way the college would let me spend hours in the parking lot working on my car, I had to find another way to fix everything. I looked on Craigslist and found a dude 2 hours away who was willing to let me use his tools and garage as well as help me out whenever I needed for $40/hour. So, I got the car in barely running condition and after a few trips to the guy's garage and a new TFI module (mustang guys will understand), distributor, ignition coil, ignition wires, dist. rotor, dist. cap, coolant temp sensor, o2 sensor, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, fuel pump, IAC block off plate, front brake pads, rear brake overhaul (drums, cylinders, shoes, springs), timing belt, accessory belt, intake plumbing, blow off valve, boost controller, boost gauge, oil catch can, coolant hoses, dual electric radiator fans, thermostat, coolant, air filter, 3 batteries, 3 alternators, and 2 voltage regulators....finally I had a reliable daily driver.

Now comes the modding
    Being a college student on a budget, I couldn't afford a custom bag or coilover setup. However, I did some research and sound out that mustang suspension parts for 83-2004 mustangs would work for my car too with the added benefit that stock (mustang) ride height components would substantially drop my car. So I ordered 2004 Mustang GT 2.5 inch lowering springs, KYB shocks, and Energy suspension bushings. I made another trip to the Craigslist dude's shop and installed everything. The setup worked exactly as I had hoped

2 shocks hadn't arrived in the mail yet. It was a bitch dragging all this stuff from the lobby to my dorm...

The car has a nice ride and from what I've seen, is the lowest 83-88 Thunderbird IN THE WORLD

I completed all of the following work during the course of the last month and they all really bring this car together: a custom center exit exhaust, 15" Ivory painted Auto Drags with gold center caps, a gold ford hood emblem, gold thunderbird logos on the tail lights, tinted headlight covers, repainted rubber bumpers, yellow tinted turn signals, detailed paint (compound, polish, wax, sealant), sound system (alpine HU, Polk audio speakers in front and doors, pioneer speakers in the rear, 2 10" MTX subs, a 1000 watt MTX amp, dynamat in doors, trunk, and dash), and restored the interior. Here's the car's current state

Here's a shot of the rear before the wheels were painted

My plans for the near future include air suspension, super wide+low offset 18" wheels with stretched tires, pulled fenders, sparco seats, and big power (big turbo, standalone ECU, injectors). Well, let me know what you guys think...idk if this build would be considered "doing it right" but I sure hope I haven't done anything horribly wrong/tacky haha[/SIZE]
    Last edited by Deebo; 07-28-2013, 05:50 PM.

At first I was like NO, and now I want to see more. Good turn around man.

Comment

its for sure unique! i can appreciate your commitment to the car. but instead of building up a turd motor, why not put a 5.0 in it and call it done? in the long run it will be cheaper, more reliable, more powerful and you'll have that v8 rumble..... i **** fords so me suggesting a 5.0 is weird lol.

i dig the stance

DRIFT BUILD

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Savage View Post
        At first I was like NO, and now I want to see more. Good turn around man.
        Originally posted by pejsa View Post
        its for sure unique! i can appreciate your commitment to the car. but instead of building up a turd motor, why not put a 5.0 in it and call it done? in the long run it will be cheaper, more reliable, more powerful and you'll have that v8 rumble..... i **** fords so me suggesting a 5.0 is weird lol.

i dig the stance
        Thanks guys!
        And I definitely agree that this motor is a turd but it's what I'm stuck with so I'm going to max this thing out and and build a 5.0 on the side. When this motor finally dies, I can scrap it and reuse the standalone ECU, turbo, and all of the other swappable parts for the 5.0

Comment

Its definitely a unique thunderchicken. Personally, I liked the wheels in their original aluminum finish and not the cream color you painted them. Also, the tinted headlight covers, the seat covers nor the autozone foglights are working for it. They look pretty bad actually. I can understand the college kid budget but those mods are fugly. My opinion.
          Like pejsa said, don't build up that turd motor. Source either a 302 or 351. I'm almost positive that the only thing you'd need to do as far as either of those two in regards to mating up to your transmission is swap the bell housing. Maybe even that isn't necessary. I'm not very versed in the blue oval but did have some buddies back in the day that I helped them work on their fox bodies and that's the little bit of knowledge I picked up.
          Anyway, enough of my rambling. I want to see where this goes.
          Sup. Call me Z.
          My Accord "build".

Comment

Originally posted by CrackerTeg View Post
            Its definitely a unique thunderchicken. Personally, I liked the wheels in their original aluminum finish and not the cream color you painted them. Also, the tinted headlight covers, the seat covers nor the autozone foglights are working for it. They look pretty bad actually. I can understand the college kid budget but those mods are fugly.
            Thanks! I tried to make it unique and I know the wheels aren't for everyone but I tried restoring them and they were just too far gone. The seat covers are temporary until I can afford a good set of seats and you might be surprised to know that these fog lights are OEM hahaha
            Yes, I know they look tacky but that's all Ford right there

Comment

There's no fucking way in hell those fogs are stock.
              Sup. Call me Z.
              My Accord "build".

Comment

I can dig it. You should blackout the window trim. Will make a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by CrackerTeg View Post
                  There's no fucking way in hell those fogs are stock.
                  Dude, I guarantee you they are...I can take a picture of the stock brackets that hold them if you'd like? I think they are ugly too but removing those brackets is just way more work than it's worth

Comment

Originally posted by marshalR View Post
                    I can dig it. You should blackout the window trim. Will make a huge difference.
                    That's a great idea. It actually never occurred to me to do that haha
                    I'll use plastidip and see how it turns out

Comment

Mine are ford stock replacement fogs. All turbocoupes had them. some clear and some blue tinted

Comment

Get some yellow lamin-x for those fogs.

The car is definitely unique, I actually like it. Thats the only car I've also ever seen with seat covers that match the interior, and not some stupid flame design, or crazy yellow.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                        @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Originally posted by Deebo View Post
                          Dude, I guarantee you they are...I can take a picture of the stock brackets that hold them if you'd like? I think they are ugly too but removing those brackets is just way more work than it's worth
                          Originally posted by Deebo View Post

Mine are ford stock replacement fogs. All turbocoupes had them. some clear and some blue tinted
                          Well I'll be damned. See? I'm not versed in the blue oval.
                          Sup. Call me Z.
                          My Accord "build".

Comment

I love that last picture.

I liked the wheels more before you painted them.
                            Don't black out the trim, it looks classy chrome.
                            18's are going to be huuggeee.

But I 100% agree on keeping the 2.3 turbo. I've seen those motors make 500hp on a stock bottom end (they don't last forever when pushed that hard) but then if you build a bottom end you can make insane numbers.
                            It's really unique, so why would you want to take that away by putting a 5.0 in it?

You've done well so far.
                            I really like this.

Comment

The chrome around the windows is the only chrome on the whole side of the car. It accentuates the windows way too much.

Black the grille out too while you are at it.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                              @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Working...
                              X