My M5 engined, Touring car wheeled, air bagged suspension'd E36 Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe you put an E46 on the front end of an E36

and made it look so good. This build is epic...epically epic. This is what a BUILD should be. Not just wheels and suspension. Love it.
    stanceworks: I don't really fit in.

Comment

• Been following this project on different places over the years, love the build So happy too see this is not sold.
      Beautiful work man!

Comment

• Something that's really bored me about the E36's here is that they all look the same. This is probably my favorite 3 series bmw of all time. That front looks great on the e36.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
        @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

• Originally posted by driftsucky View Post
          I can't believe you put an E46 on the front end of an E36

and made it look so good. This build is epic...epically epic. This is what a BUILD should be. Not just wheels and suspension. Love it.
          Sometimes I wish it was 'just' wheels & suspension! LOL

Originally posted by Mystic View Post
          Been following this project on different places over the years, love the build So happy too see this is not sold.
          Beautiful work man!
          This things isn't going anywhere!!!

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
          Something that's really bored me about the E36's here is that they all look the same. This is probably my favorite 3 series bmw of all time. That front looks great on the e36.
          Thank you man

Website - www.ProjektE36.com

Insta - www.instagram.com/projekte36

Comment

• Into the final(ish) installment of the current goings on...

As the headlights were fitted I thought I might carry on with another small job on the front end and fit the s62 radiator, I was thinking about using an aftermarket aluminium radiator but do like the idea of using the OE rad and header tank :-) the OE item is wide! and meant I had to relieve the chassis rails of some space in order to fit it correctly, I couldn't use any of the e36 or e39 OE mounting hardware so made up some brackets and got it in place happy with its height and position.

News on the engine.... FINALLY I pulled my finger out and thought I better deal with this, after talking with Ergen Motorsport (the guys that made my e36 / s62 wiring loom) I got the engine down to these guys for a full rebuild. I'll detail the works more another time but the basic outlines are it'll be a fully built s62

So one morning I loaded the engine into the back of a rental van and headed the 3 hours down the road to Ergen

A couple weeks passed and I received a nice update from them in relation to the strip down so works nicely under way

So this has let me again get on with the never ending things to do and a biggie is to get the power steering lines made. As there's no room for the power steering pump on the s62 I'm using a electric unit hidden in the inner wing so needed to have some bespoke hardlines made so I made the pattern of stupid angles and went to see a little local industrial hydraulic manufacturers and had these lines bent up for me after some fine tweaking and bending they were fitting nicely, tight against the chassis rails, you can't see from this picture but they also following nicely horizontally to

With that ticked off the list I thought I'd break out some filler and start the epic job of bodywork! Having never done anything on this scale before its been a quick learning curve of little tricks and processes but I'm getting there with the guide layer of filler primer down ready for yet more block sanding

Keeping the momentum going I jumped straight into the engine bay attacking both inner wings (leaving the bulkhead on purpose until I get the engine fully plumbed in) I've since finished the sanding and have shot a coat of primer again ready for more sanding

That pretty much brings things up to date, with things moving forwards nicely I hope updates will be more frequent and of some decent substance!

Comment

• What a truly truly epic build.

keep up the good work pal!

Comment

• A bit of a round up from the last few weeks...

For a short while the car actually looked up a car!! fitted up the wings so I could gap the bonnet. I **** doing body filler work, its so damn boring - fair play to anyone that does it for a living!!!

After what seems like some forward progress, I did something stupid.... unsure how / why I managed to break the 2 front Accuair sensors, I spent quite a while locating them in a position I thought working well. Was pretty pissed off as they aren't cheap to replace but such is life, ordered another 2 sensors and I have them here waiting for fitting and sussing out why they broke also picked up a seamless aluminium 3 gallon air tank but that'll get covered when I get back into the boot install.

On the upside I did get the engine bay inner wings into a guide coat of primer, as mentioned I've not done the firewall yet as I want to get the engine plumbed in first, although I might do it just so its another job off the list! Anyway here one of the inner wings, not totally smoothed as I wanted to keep the seam & spot weld detailing around the turrets

As I can't leave anything alone I picked up a set of coilovers for the Boxster so got those to fit at some point.... KW's - were a bargain off ebay!!

Also finished building myself a new road bike, pretty please with the out come... having been putting a few miles on it to see if anything falls off! LOL

Sanding, filling blah blah blah...... primer!!

And finally (again only the first guide coat) the bonnet starting to take shape, I needed to get some paint on it just for a moral booster! I'm working on the leading edge around the headlights at the moment.

That's it for the moment folks!

Comment

• This is crazy. Everyone here wants to see this finished, and if thats not a moral boost then I dont know what is

Comment

• I'm not a big fan of bmws anymore but I can definitely appreciate the fact this is built from the ground up. Especially because it looks like you actually tubbed the rear wheel wells, instead of just slapping some shitty over fenders on it.

Can't wait to see more.

Also I just skimmed so I may have missed it, any particular reason you're choosing to power this by m5, and not something cheaper, like a chevy, ford or plymouth high ci v8 ?
                    Originally posted by projectmaxspeed
                    well i want to be different i could go for some vette saw blades

That destructo-ray is a played out gag, in the cape
                    and the pants suit lookin' like a straight out...Dag.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mehowski View Post
                      This is crazy. Everyone here wants to see this finished, and if thats not a moral boost then I dont know what is
                      LOL oh yea, that as well!

Originally posted by Expire View Post
                      I'm not a big fan of bmws anymore but I can definitely appreciate the fact this is built from the ground up. Especially because it looks like you actually tubbed the rear wheel wells, instead of just slapping some shitty over fenders on it.

Can't wait to see more.

Also I just skimmed so I may have missed it, any particular reason you're choosing to power this by m5, and not something cheaper, like a chevy, ford or plymouth high ci v8 ?
                      Yea the rears have been tubbed like you say.

re: the engine - dropping in an LS would have been so much easier but its been done loads, the M5 is a notorious ballache to drop into an e36 and I fancied a challenge plus its nice to have the heart matching the body (i.e BM)

Comment

• Originally posted by andy318is View Post
                        LOL oh yea, that as well!

Yea the rears have been tubbed like you say.

re: the engine - dropping in an LS would have been so much easier but its been done loads, the M5 is a notorious ballache to drop into an e36 and I fancied a challenge plus its nice to have the heart matching the body (i.e BM)
                        Ah good stuff, I just got done mini-tubbing a friends '64 Valiant. Tubbing is such a better look than over fenders imo.

Gotcha on the engine, I was never a purist with any cars, but I have friend with mopars who won't use anything but plymouth. But i totally get wanting to keep the heart the same as the body, best of luck with it!
                        Originally posted by projectmaxspeed
                        well i want to be different i could go for some vette saw blades

That destructo-ray is a played out gag, in the cape
                        and the pants suit lookin' like a straight out...Dag.

Comment

Working...
                        X