No announcement yet.

Something different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am going to have to dig thru his build and check it out, thanks!

I do have a larger sized transcooler already, its the more black thing stuck to the rad in this picture. Its about 3 times the size of the factory transcooler

You can also kinda see how the intercooler is sided more to the passenger side. We could probably center it, but that would require modifying both ends, and routing it over to the side should help keep the piping relatively simple.

The other really scary / funny thing. The slicks are 26x10r15 with 4 inches of backspace to clear the the front rotors. The current daily wheels on all 4 corners are 245/45r18 which measure out at 26.5x9.6 so its really just the offset difference that makes the slicks look super gnarly

Also I treid to do a photoshoot on my own and edited one pic. I want to come back to it later when the car is more complete and reshoot

I am still looking at wider wheels, but until I figure out the brakes I want to try nd make fit (Genesis Brembo front calipers with 13 inch rotors) I an holding off because I don't want to get wheels I love to have to sell them if they don't fit

Volo In Timore

Comment

• I suppose another update is in order.

This is almost a regular sight already... But this time its for a different purpose! I have a different throttle body to put on that has an adjustable throttle stop. No pictures of that because its just a mildly modified OEM unit.

Also, took this oppurtunity to take a picture of my brass fix

That shouldn't melt / crack anytime soon.

Also, I finally removed what was left of my EGR system. It had been half removed previously so I broke off the remainder of the pipe and pulled the valve. Bye bye EGR! Still need to find a way to keep the CEL from coming on tho... but I am sure I can figure out a way since with it half removed it only came on once in a while

I'd really like to possibly remove this thing altogether or REALLY relocate it from were it is. I guess when I do more cutting I can see if there is a better home for it.

So I continued along while I was still kinda warm and removed a valve cover to do an inspection of the head.

Looks good for over 300,000kms I think. Especially considering there has been a lot of hard miles put on with racing as well.

So here she sits until I get ambitious and head out to the cold to remove the other valve cover. So I need to order some new gaskets this week and then clean the valve covers, and upper plenum then reassemble and get the intercooler welded up so I can start making measurements for the needed piping.

Until next time!

Volo In Timore

Comment

• Does this work?

nvm. wrong video uploaded. I will come back to this when the proper one uploads
        Last edited by DjGreggieP; 12-27-2016, 11:44 AM.

Volo In Timore

Comment

• I am back with more winter tear down carnage! err... uhm.. Summer race season preparations performed over winter....

Lets begin.

When I last left off I had removed the one valve cover and found zero anomalies, so I started with the removal of the drivers side valve cover.

Beautiful.

After a few hours of scrubbing and removal of gaskets and such, I had this

The other side is largely in the same condition, this one was the worse of the two.
          So now, my pile of parts at job two looks like this

Its just the SRT4 inter-cooler, the 45 bend, the large black tube on the floor, the valve covers and the paint that's actually mine. I have since picked up a can of self etching primer as well so I just need to tape it up, and then hand the valve covers over to my amazing coworker so she can prep and paint the covers for me. She's a sweet heart.

Oh, and we need to do a bit of aluminium welding for the end of the inter-cooler to make an end tank so I can start taking measurements for piping routing to get the colder air into the engine.

Back in my shop space...

This is what I had the car looking like roughly over Christmas. Now, in the old Battery location I have a lot going on. Intake filter, charge pipe for the turbo to the inter-cooler, from the inter-cooler to the intake... And the air filter isn't small so we needed to create more clearance!

First, a template is laid out...

Then after some amazing death wheel skills this was laying on the floor!

And I was left with a large sized hole that I can shove the air filter out of so it will still get a ram air effect from the slightly hacked / modified foglight housing assembly.

The oily grime on the bottom of the tray is from when we were trying to deal with the oil leak that I had that turned out to be a pin hole in the dipstick tube. I do plan to try and clean that up some how while everything is exposed.

So here is how she sits right now.

I have valve covers to get painted, inter cooler to build, piping to route and general clean up of the bay as I go.

I have removed the EGR (was half removed a few years ago).
          The PCV valve has been removed (going to route it to the oil catch can instead of the intake).
          I have put a block plug in the intake after removing the PCV valve.
          I am currently looking into relocating the oil catch can as well as the emissions solenoid to get them out of the way.
          I do need to replace one injector plug because it had been damaged previously and now I have a better chance to repair it. We had noticed it before during the build up but noted that it was functioning 100% so I decided that I would repair the harness later.
          Also planning to get my low end torque back by making the HO portion work again. Being a 2000 plenum, its all vacuum controlled so I am thinking I can just run a line off the plenum to the existing line and have it go back to actuating under heavy load.

Stay tuned!!

Volo In Timore

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzYIDsx140w

Working link?

Volo In Timore

Comment

• Did a little bit of underhood enhancing

Volo In Timore

Comment

• Disappointed I missed this until now. I love seeing builds way out of the ordinary, and a boosted 2.7 Intrepid is extremely unique. I can relate to the ugly but necessary routing to fit 10lbs of crap in a 5lb engine bay. If anything I'm amazed the ECU is remotely capable.
                I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

Comment

• Originally posted by wickedsnake00 View Post
                  Disappointed I missed this until now. I love seeing builds way out of the ordinary, and a boosted 2.7 Intrepid is extremely unique. I can relate to the ugly but necessary routing to fit 10lbs of crap in a 5lb engine bay. If anything I'm amazed the ECU is remotely capable.
                  Thanks!! Tho I have swapped it to a 3.5HO from a 300M a few years ago, after killing 2 2.7's I felt the upgrade was necessary.

The OEM ECM works, but I've only 'cleaned up' the power bands. It use to bog out in third if you needed to pass, now it pulls solid through the entire RPM range with no bogs if passing on the highway. I should really get in a dyno pass, but I am waiting until I have the stand alone to make it worth while to pay for a dyno.

Volo In Timore

Comment

• That start video makes me happy.

Love the valve covers in wrinkle red.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                    @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

• Thank you!!

I had remembered you saying you wanted to see a video of it running and I had posted that one to YouTube so I thought I would link it. I do plan to do a more dynamic video in the spring, still hashing out the details for it yet.

I really love the wrinkle red. It kinda sucks that when everything is put back together they wont be very visible, but they should hopefully sharpen up the engine bay a fair bit. Lots of dingy black and gray in there lol

Volo In Timore

Comment

• I really need to update more often!

I'm kind of at a momentary standstill. I need to get the intercooler welded up so I can start routing piping. Also need to get a few electrical pieces to maybe gain a few horses, maybe if my EM see the air at a temperature under 107* that will help right??

So if I need the intercooler welded, I should get those required pieces cut...

Done.

Also finally got the valve covers installed after paint. Looked so deadly I needed to do a comparison pic

The only drawback was when I put the upper plenum on, the red is barely noticeable.

May need to make a custom upper plenum, paint it wrinkle red and etch 'SNSTR Auto' on either side, but need to spend some more time figuring out runner length for a good low end torque to have a good holeshot, but still flow optimally at high rpm.

Also, I entered into a 'Ride of the Month' contest on another forum and I won!

I got a year free paid membership, a plaque and a place in the yearly calendar! May not seem like that big of a deal but the voting was only open to other paid members of the club so to win by a single vote was pretty sweet!

That's all for now, I am thinking I may start going out and recording a weekly walk around update video, then I can show what I have gotten done and whats coming down the line as well. I plan to head out for a bit on Sunday to work on the car. Need to do a bit of cleaning and wire extension / wire deletion / wire clean up. I hope to be making it to a few more car shows and meets this year AND go racing so I want to make the bay look better.

As always, thanks for tuning in and I will see you next time!

Volo In Timore

Comment

• Gratz on the win!

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                          @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

• Originally posted by rice4life View Post
                            Gratz on the win!
                            Thanks! Its the first time the car has ever won something, and being a car that is on the opposite end of the spectrum for what most do, it felt really good!

With warmer weather coming I need to get back into getting work done on the car!!

Volo In Timore

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEjzC-RxSiY

Finally got around to ding a bit of a walk around of the car, going over things that are different and things I have planned for the future.

Give it a watch, let me know what you think, also any tips on making better videos would be nice!!

Volo In Timore

Comment

• TBH I **** the look of these cars, but I love different builds. This thing is hella cool man, keep it up!

Looks so mean with slicks

Comment

Working...
                                X