Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by axelillo_PR View Post
    Then just slam the car and grind the rust away with the pavement

I'd be missing half a frame rail, who needs frame rails?

1989 Chevy Camaro RS | 1981 Mercedes 500SE AMG

Originally posted by Skraight.
    And don't let the **** from the guy above get to you, he said he is saving up to buy a del sol lol.

Comment

So, a little update. I've been trying to fix my Camaro so I don't have a 5 - 8 MPG car to daily. I was contemplating selling the Mercedes, saving my pennies, and buying a 05 XJR. But, I've decided that at this point in time, a new car isn't worth it. That, and I love my Mercedes too much, gonna keep her, and restore her.

I hit the junkyard last Saturday and picked up a 560SEL dual snorkel intake, going to use my current 5.0 intake to modify it so it will have two of the large snorkels.

I meant to install my 500SE badge, but I ended up helping my brother move, so that went out the window. I spent a hefty amount on my PC this weekend, so I'm not spending too much this week, next check exhaust is getting put on, and I'm going to start getting the car ready for SOWO 2013.

That means, paint, refurbing the wheels, new motor, fixing the trans, AMG trunk badge, some seals, and installing the rear window trim. Gonna replace the axles too, along with the brake system, and a few other things, essentially making sure it will make the 10 hour drive in one piece.

If anybody knows somebody wanting to sell a M117 5.6 long block, must be Euro spec, drop me a line, I could use it, this tired old 5.0 has seen her fair share of miles. Transmission wise, I believe the kick down solenoid is faulty, since its less than $20 for the O-Rings it, and the solenoid its self, just gonna do it.

For the trunk, I'm gonna put down some nice stained wood, use some black hardware hinges for doors on the side cubbyholes. Then I'm trading a pair of Flowmaster Super 40s for a amp and 2 12" subs, so I'll have those mounted in the rear. Can't drive 10 hours without music, I need a head unit too, probably will go with a GPS flip out unit.

So that's really all I've got for today. Gonna get out and do some work on her tomorrow if the weather permits. Hurricane wants to piss water all over everywhere, lol.

But, have a random work area shot. I love the way the nose sits down on the AMG. Lol.

Somebody wanna shop some 1 piece Rotiform BLQs, with a machined face on it? That and 17" BBS RS? Wanting to know how it would look.

EDIT: Got a lead on some 10.0:1 compression ECE 5.6 pistons. Will see if I can get them.
      Last edited by RubbderDucky; 09-04-2012, 02:24 PM.

And don't let the **** from the guy above get to you, he said he is saving up to buy a del sol lol.

Comment

Had a little fun with Fireworks tonight. Put the IROCs off the Camaro onto the Mercedes, I think it looks pretty sweet. What do you guys think?

Comment

Took some good pics with a buddy and his Mk6 GTI yesterday, will put those up when I get them. But more of my exhaust broke today lol. Sounds pretty mean, I'll have to get a vid. Thinking of just running it straight pipe, but using the tips.

Broken exhaust:

Took this random shot of my buddies shop sticker on my window.

Sourced a 300HP 5.6 long block and a 2.65 LSD diff for her. As soon as I can gather the cash they'll be on there way to me. Progress has been slow, but should pick up soon. I ordered a new kick-down solenoid, and the O-rings for the trans to fix the shifting issue.

Going to the junkyard this weekend, gonna pick up the calipers off a 560SEL that's there.

Comment

Leave it on the Penta's, nothing else can out do them.
            1981 300TD 4 speed
            2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
            , on Flickr
            IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

Originally posted by mike-81-240d View Post
              Leave it on the Penta's, nothing else can out do them.
              Yeah, I agree. But I'll keep a few sets are for her. I'm only gonna roll on IROCs so I can the AMGs refurbed. But I'll be at SOWO on IROCs to save time and money.

Got some parts for her today. New kick down solenoid and O-rings to go with it. Put the solenoid in, and she shifts better, but still slips out of 4th, didn't get the O-rings in so I'm hoping that fixes it.

Comment

New pics. Was gonna sell her, but I'm too attached. Lol. She needs new rear tires, so expect some wider tires in the rear soon along with the exhaust tips installed.

Comment

Put a 5.6 V8 air cleaner on her. Will be ordering a K&N filter Friday, and probably will hit the junkyard for the brake calipers off this 87 560. Gonna probably paint it a flat black, I dunno yet. Still waiting to get my fenders rolled.

Last edited by RubbderDucky; 11-24-2012, 05:17 PM.

Comment

It's a nice car you have there. But as far as i know Mercs, they always have had rust issues.

But regarding your choice of paint - flat black... i must say, that i wish you would reconsider, it will do no justice to such an old an classic car in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by KarlG View Post
                      It's a nice car you have there. But as far as i know Mercs, they always have had rust issues.

But regarding your choice of paint - flat black... i must say, that i wish you would reconsider, it will do no justice to such an old an classic car in my opinion.
                      I was thinking that or having my buddy polish it. Which I like the polish better, but getting my friends to do shit is a story in its self.

Comment

US Mercs generally have less rust issues than Euros. Probably something to do with the salted roads, or climate.

I think he meant the air cleaner lid, not the whole exterior.
                        1981 300TD 4 speed
                        2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
                        , on Flickr
                        IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

Oh damn, my bad, it's like 6 in the morning here. I just read through the whole thread and recalled something about painting the car on some previous page.

Comment

Originally posted by mike-81-240d View Post
                            US Mercs generally have less rust issues than Euros. Probably something to do with the salted roads, or climate.

I think he meant the air cleaner lid, not the whole exterior.
                            The car was bought in Germany, then shipped here in 1982, I could fix the rust, but it was pretty disheartening. And yeah, I meant the air cleaner. Lol
                            Oh damn, my bad, it's like 6 in the morning here. I just read through the whole thread and recalled something about painting the car on some previous page.
                            Lol, nah, I wanna repaint the car it's original color, the Anthracite Grey,

Comment

New parts on the way.

I'm on the hunt for a 3.23 or 3.47 LSD diff for it, as well as some 5x112 to 5x120.65 adapters in the smallest size possible. And if somebody happens to have a good shape Euro 5.0 M117 in FL I want it as well. Also, if anybody has a recommendation for a exhaust shop in CFL, let me know. I just need to run some 2.25 straight pipe.
                              Last edited by RubbderDucky; 12-01-2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

thats just vip style, love it!

Comment

Working...
                                X