1973 280se

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 280se

To start this off I am going to go back a bit. About 3 weeks ago, my friend messages me on facebook and tells me that hes buying something with a V8. I ask him what it is and he sends me this picture:

Of course I am immediately jealous, I ask him how much he's paying. Only $1000. Now I'm almost having a heart attack. From the picture, it looks like its perfect. A few hours go by and he messages me again saying he changed his mind and do I want the car? I said yes, got the sellers phone number and that was it. Now fast forward to 3 weeks later, I had gone to look at the car once already, made the deal and had the keys. There was one problem, the car is located 170 KM north of my house and the front brakes are both seized, the tires need to be replaced and the windows don't roll up. Second problem is that the day I got off work to go get the car, the weather decides to fuck me and its a god damn blizzard. All these things aside, I still get up in the morning and go to get the car.

Drove for an hour and a bit, stopped to eat and to pick up the trailer to get the car home. I took a few picture of the car when we got there just because I was so excited...

Started right up no problem at all, even after sitting on the driveway for 8 months (or so I was told). The only thing it needed was a new battery. Here is a picture of my dad and the trailer. I didn't know how fucked the front brakes were, but it turns out that the car couldn't get any traction and we couldn't get it onto the trailer. Two hours later and a few hundred feet down the road I decided it was time to call in reinforcements. Got my phone out and searched some towing companies nearby. A dude named Geoff with a purple and green tow truck was the winner and 45 mins later the car was getting hooked up to his truck.

On the way back home I opened the folder that had been left on the seat of the car. Inside were service records dating back to 73 when the car was brand new. I am the 3rd owner of the car. First owner was a dentist named Dr. Jones, Second owner was the guy I bought it from (they had it for 20 years). The folder also contained 2 appraisals of the car and a note from the people I bought it from. The note said that the car had been in their family for 20 years and that I should be proud to own a classic Mercedes Benz. Reading the note immediately added sentimental value to the car in my mind.

A few hours later I was home. The roads were even shittier than in the morning and the tow truck driver took his time. Finally he arrived and we unloaded the car onto the street.

Now I had to devise a plan to get it into my garage. No pics of this stage but I used my moms SUV to pull it up the road and get it into place in front of my house. The car was at the edge of the driveway and my Jetta was in the garage, so I backed out the Jetta and towed the car up the driveway. Then I did a 1500 point turn and got my car out of the other side of the garage. Thankfully my driveway was not icy, snowy or otherwise trecherous and I was able to drive the merc into the garage. Thats the end of the beginning of what will most likely be a long journey to get this classic car back to 100%. I leave you with some pictures of the car. (I dont normally name cars but for some reason, I feel like it needs a name. Any suggestions??)

-Martin

Looking forward to this.
    @slowprogress

Comment

Online resources for this car seem scarse, any idea where I can find vacuum diagrams for the locks? The trunk is stuck closed and locking the drivers door does not affect the other doors like it should...

Comment

now i'm jealous

for $1k

pft

looking forward to c what u do to this
        Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

very jelly!

Comment

jaw dropped... lol

can't wait to see what's next

flickr

Comment

is this MEXIPOKE...

just kidding.. great looking MB..

-Martin[/QUOTE]

Comment

Win!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's your best place for info. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/vintage-mercedes-benz/
                1981 300TD 4 speed
                2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
                , on Flickr
                IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

looks like a great base to start with, gl with her
                  Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

DAMN! score much?
                    Its my money, and I need it NOW!

1978 Toyota Corona in the works
                    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27234

Comment

Nice MB, my dad has a W109, any plans for the future?

Name it/her Kelly.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBlue View Post

Nice MB, my dad has a W109, any plans for the future?

Name it/her Kelly.
                        I think it's mostly going to be restoration stuff, maybe air ride. I have most of the air ride parts in my garage anyways

Comment

subbed already

Comment

I have a few things to report, but very few pictures. (Sorry, I tend to forget about the camera when I get into working on something!) The first thing I did was pull the god awful blue vinyl wrap off of the steering wheel. It had so much dirt in it and the plastic cord that wrapped around it was breaking into pieces. Second, I removed the shitty aftermarket radio that had been installed into the lower panel. After some fucking around, the stock radio is working 100% and I honestly could not be happier just listening to fm radio. Nostalgia has such an appealing quality. Anyone have ideas on how to cover up the non square, non centered glaring hole in the panel?

I pulled the door panels off to try and fix the windows and got quite a surprise when I realized the drivers door window regulator was not even bolted onto the door. I pulled it all the way out and saw that the backing plate was bent. This caused the teeth on it to only half way contact the drive gear on the motor. I suspect that it had been this way for a while because the teeth were completely shredded. This is why the window wouldn't go up. I Jumped on the interwebs to look for a new regulator and much to my dismay, they cost half as much as the car. I thought about it for a while and my solution was to weld across the fucked up teeth and then file out new teeth from the now solid piece of metal. Took me the better part of an afternoon but it ended up working great!

On the flip side, the window switches were messed up and the chrome trim ring was broken. This caused the buttons to come out when you pressed them. Called up my parts guy and he had the switch so I went and picked one up. The fuses under the hood for the windows also needed replacing as they were corroded.

Now, onto the subject of brakes. The front brakes were both locked up, which is why the car got towed home. I took the wheels off tonight and checked it out, the shims behind the brake pads were all broken up and had gotten jammed inside the brake. I pulled all the bits out and the brakes work now (kind of). The drivers side hose has a huge soft spot in the center where its bulging out. I ordered a new hose tonight, it should be here next week. With the brakes working somewhat, I rolled the car out onto the driveway after work today and gave it a quick wash. It was dark when I was done but I took a picture anyways....

I have the day off work tomorrow, so I'm going to try and get some stuff done! That's it for now.

- Martin
                            Last edited by martinm13; 03-12-2012, 03:22 AM.

Comment

This is going to be amazing, so clean! Love that interior too, classy stuff
                              Email: Info@Statuserror.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X