• Show
Clear All

• sweet man, great progress

it's becoming a 2002/vag hybrid, not that that's a bad thing

Comment

• Originally posted by softg View Post
      sweet man, great progress

it's becoming a 2002/vag hybrid, not that that's a bad thing
      Thanks. Yeah, I was always a VW guy before I bought the 2002. I think that clearly shows haha.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--My Shop: Where Passion Meets Livelihood (or tries to)--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• Looking good man. Take your time with those fenders.
        91 Golf Rebuild - slow as fuck right now

Comment

• Well I finally decided on a set of wheels, at least for now. They were cheap, had the specs that I'm looking for, and I actually really like how they look. A lot of people dislike these wheels, and I agree that the car deserves classier wheels. But for the time being these will help me dial in the fitment and I can always upgrade down the road sometime. I will probably rock these for a while though, I love the look.

15x8 et0 powdercoated black, they're a bit dusty from the cardboard boxes. Getting 194/45/15 tires mounted tomorrow:

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• Damn this thing is moving along nicely!! And the body work is pretty good for something you're just now picking up.

Can't wait to see the new shoes on her!

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

• Great work and speedy progress. Looking forward to see the car on the road

Burner's Bagged Passat

Comment

• Damn that car looks awesome!

Comment

• Thanks guys! progress should really start happening now. I have majority of the parts that I need now so I can really start getting at it.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• duuuude, can you do me a huge favor and take some shot of those mounted with the stock fenders on, I'm interested in how much poke there will be. I'm assuming these are 0 offset

Comment

• Originally posted by 323ijoe View Post
                      duuuude, can you do me a huge favor and take some shot of those mounted with the stock fenders on, I'm interested in how much poke there will be. I'm assuming these are 0 offset
                      Yeah no problem. I will be mounting tires and mocking everything up tomorrow so that should give you an idea. They are 0 offset. They will poke quite a bit with stock fenders.

You can also look here, this will give you an idea of how the rear fitment will be. This is from another thread on the FAQ, it's in the first post, just scroll down a tiny bit. He is showing how 16x8 et0 would fit on stock fenders: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/...view,/start,0/

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
                        Yeah no problem. I will be mounting tires and mocking everything up tomorrow so that should give you an idea. They are 0 offset. They will poke quite a bit with stock fenders.

You can also look here, this will give you an idea of how the rear fitment will be. This is from another thread on the FAQ, it's in the first post, just scroll down a tiny bit. He is showing how 16x8 et0 would fit on stock fenders: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/...view,/start,0/
                        Ya, ive seen that one,it gives the general idea, but the pictures kind of crappy and mocked with tires always give alot better idea of how it will sit once done and dropped. Cant wait to see this all done, its coming together great. hopefully my 02 will start making some major progress now too

Comment

Ya, ive seen that one,it gives the general idea, but the pictures kind of crappy and mocked with tires always give alot better idea of how it will sit once done and dropped. Cant wait to see this all done, its coming together great. hopefully my 02 will start making some major progress now too
                          ok, I'll take some better pics and send them your way tonight. Unfortunately, I will only be able to mock up the rears today because I haven't even touched the front suspension yet and the front fenders are stored away up in my parts room. It will be a few more days before I can focus on the fronts.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• Progress!

Got tires mounted today. 195/45/15 Federals. Cheap but whatever, I'm not building this car for performance haha $300 out the door:

A couple comparison shots with the original wheels:

Very mild stretch. That's how I want it though, I love the way it looks. Not a huge fan of excessive stretch personally:

Random mock up picture. I had to space the wheels out with some washers just so the lugs nut would tighten all the way. I will probably throw on some 10-15mm spacers all around just to dial in the fitment once the fenders are welded up and ready to go. This picture doesn't really mean anything, I was just excited haha:

Started getting back on the seats. I'll just explain as I go. Picked up some 1" square tubing and got to work. Here is a piece clamped on ready to weld:

Welded on. I went pretty thick to make sure it was sturdy:

Then I made this little guy:

For this:

I originally had a different setup for this mounting spot but after I finished I realized it wasn't going to work. Kind of hard to explain in the pictures but I just ended up welding a bolt to the big round bar for the slider to mount onto:

For this:

Each slider required a different mount for the rear section, which is why one side has the bolt sticking out and the other has that weird little piece that I created (the bolt isn't pictured in the first picture because I messed up the first time around, I'm rambling). Painted everything up so it looks clean and now I have a GTI seat that is adapted to 2002 sliders . Tomorrow I need to make mounts in the car for the seat to bolt on to:

More progress tomorrow! This project is really fun.
                            Last edited by CubbyChowder; 04-28-2012, 10:16 AM.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• Thanks a ton for the pic man, it really helped me figure out what i want, and the black on sahara looks amazing, i would definitely vote too keep it that way. cant wait to see everything bolted up

Comment

Thanks a ton for the pic man, it really helped me figure out what i want, and the black on sahara looks amazing, i would definitely vote too keep it that way. cant wait to see everything bolted up
                                No problem dude, glad I could help. Sorry to say, but the Sahara definitely isn't staying, although I do agree that the black wheels look good with it. I haven't really decided on a color yet, but I have a few ideas in mind.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

Working...
                                X