No announcement yet.

CubbyChowder finally got a BMW 2002 - it's project time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You should do something crazy for the headliner like that truck on the latest S|W article, haha!
    Cheers!
    Brandon

IG @straightsixfiend

Build Thread: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=67173

Sig 69 by Vintage Element Photography, on Flickr

Comment

• Originally posted by Sir Stancelot View Post
      You should do something crazy for the headliner like that truck on the latest S|W article, haha!
      wow, that's an awesome truck. Honestly, I don't think a crazy quirky headliner would fit the overall theme of my car when it's done. I'm personally not too flashy like that, I prefer a "clean and simple" approach. Cool idea though!

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--My Shop: Where Passion Meets Livelihood (or tries to)--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
        haha nice, I went the cheaper route with wheels for now, I originally was going to build a set of BBS RM's but got scammed on them. Do you have a build thread anywhere?
        Post your build threads here! Keep us updated on what you're doing in your garage.

Comment

• i love this thread... it gets me motivated to keep adding to my relatively new bagged e21 build thread!!! keep it coming.
          '79 - BMW 320i (e21)

The BAGGED e21 Build Thread! -
          http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25005

Comment

• Originally posted by SOURCEB5 View Post
            i love this thread... it gets me motivated to keep adding to my relatively new bagged e21 build thread!!! keep it coming.
            thanks man, I just checked your build out, your e21 is awesome! I remember seeing it when you first posted it. Glad you bagged it and I love those wheels.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• keep on truckin!

Comment

• Originally posted by C-Hutch View Post
                keep on truckin!
                Trying! I've gotten to work on the car once in the past 2 weeks since my girlfriend has been in and out of the ER a few times and had surgery last Tuesday, so I've been home making sure she's comfortable during recovery. She's all good now and I should be able to go work on it again either tomorrow or the day after, so updates will be happening soon!

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

I took the joint all apart and cleaned everything real good:

Put everything back together, greased it all up...

mind telling me how you pulled all the bearing out of there? i just broke down my half shafts but didn't want to try to force them out. if there a trick to it or does the whole center puch out after you tap the shaft out of there?

Comment

• Originally posted by 323ijoe View Post
                    mind telling me how you pulled all the bearing out of there? i just broke down my half shafts but didn't want to try to force them out. if there a trick to it or does the whole center puch out after you tap the shaft out of there?
                    I'll try to explain, it was really easy. Putting them back together was harder. There is a circlip at the top of the shaft which needs to be taken out, it's pretty hard to get out. Then I took a 1/2" ratchet extension and a dead blow hammer and pounded the shaft out from the joint. Then I basically just turned the middle section until a few of the bearings pop out of the their grooves. Then you should be able to lift the whole middle section out, including whichever bearings are still attached. It's pretty self explanatory, just make sure that you don't force anything, everything goes apart and comes back together very smoothly if you do it right. Just MAKE SURE you study the layout of everything before you take it apart. I made the mistake of taking one apart without making sure how it goes back together and I tried putting it back together the wrong way, and I have a feeling I damaged it because it doesn't spin/rotate as smoothly as it should.
                    Last edited by CubbyChowder; 05-23-2012, 07:35 PM.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• thanks man,Im going to try popping those bearing out tomorrow since i didn't want to break them today lol cant wait for more updates

Comment

• ^^ no problem dude, good luck!

Alright, finally got back on it today. Today's goal was to replace all the seals on the Getrag 245 and tackle some of the nose section. Got most of it accomplished, however I broke some of the rubber on the input shaft seal because I hammered it a tad too hard. I didn't want to risk it, so I ended up having to order a new one and wait to finish the trans. Was kinda pissed about it at first, but it's a $3 seal, so I had a Jack and Coke with my dad and carried on with my day

Rear shaft seal out:

New rear seal in:

I also replaced the shift rod seal, but didn't take a picture. Then I decided to take my shifter apart and clean it up and regrease everything. One of the previous owners rebuilt the whole shifter assembly not too long ago, so everything was good to go. Just needed a cleaning and regreasing:

Then I tackled some of the nose area of the car. It had a lot of rust/paint corrosion and looked like hell:

Got it all down to bare metal, took sooo long to get it completely rust free:

Then primered it:

I also decided to take care of this whole area:

Prepped everything as good as I could and primered it:

Then I whipped out the ol' reliable 50mm and took a couple pics for fun:

Last edited by CubbyChowder; 05-25-2012, 12:51 AM.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

LOVE this shot, am stealing it

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

• oh wow, thanks for posting it for others to see!

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• no worries!

can you do a post on reconnecting your aftermarket steering wheel when you get a chance, i stupidly pulled mine off without really thinking about it and now i have no idea how to reconnect the horn...

Comment

• Originally posted by Riley_J View Post
                                LOVE this shot, am stealing it
                                I was gonna say exactly the same! Great build man, but honestly i'd keep the stock fenders. Those wide running Federals on the Diamond steelies look perfect on the test fitting picture
                                slamburglars.com

Comment

Working...
                                X