No announcement yet.

IntroDoucin tha 71' Bavaria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude...epic car and a fantastic thread. I gotta tell you, it's impressive how well that interior has held up...much like the W123 Mercedes Interiors of that time. I'm looking forward to seeing this project completed.

O yeah, and lighting the squirrell on fire...NICE.

Comment

The Sidewinder

The Sidewinder is lookin' good Rick! Btw, I(Pablo) was on this trip and let me say it was a complete crazy adventure and by far the best road trip I've been on so far. Though there are some parts missing in Rick's story

Comment

Huge update!

Removing the battery trey.

outside the booth peeking through

in the booth now

looks so sad...

new clip on....

getting towed back home for the engine swap

Isn't that just b-e-a-utiful!?

this is where they cut. Can't even tell!

I want to thank Gabriel at UACC in Burlingame,CA
        Him and his team specializes in alot of older vehicles and does an amazing job. If you look in your upcoming performance BMW magazine, you will see some of his work shown.

Cheers!!!
        Last edited by Rickysbmw320i; 03-23-2010, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Oooooooh nice work
          Originally posted by da3bous
          I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

Comment

car looks great man love the way that interior looks
            Vtec

Comment

sooo damn clean!

Comment

Great read. Sounds like a fun time.

Comment

wow cant beleive how far this car has come now, paint looks amazing on the fenders and bay

cant wait to see it with the motor finally in
                  Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Could've made a film of that, haha.
                    Awesome car, keep up the good work!
                    www.racingart.com.br/forum

Comment

• I hope to be putting in the engine by the 15th of April. Sooo long from now but still have alot to do before hand.

Comment

• be careful putting a motor in that shiny new engine bayyy

@eraunpetrytoday

Comment

• I know, That is the scariest part

some random pics...

The Refinished MOMO steering wheel

The Manifold I had cut and rewelded. Except they really messed up. You can see the lines I made for them to cut and they failed. Have to get that redone.

And the Bavaria keeps warm sitting next to my buddy's Turbo 02

cheers
                          Last edited by Rickysbmw320i; 04-08-2010, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• this is a great thread.......

vipstylecars
                            A low degree of height is a low degree of intelligence.

Comment

• Alrighty folks, I have had alot on my plate lately so it's been hard to post up pics and update.

So, In order for this engine to fit properly, I had to use the oil pan from the old engine so it clears the subframe. That also means you need to change the the oil sump pickup. And of course there are small differences. So I ended up taking the old oil sump neck, bolted it to the new engine's oil pump and bolted on the old pan. Also replaced the rear main seal.

As for the clutch, I used the one I recently bought from the 5-speed swap. The new engine has a 30lb dual mass flywheel. Threw that out and used my 14 pounder. Can't wait to feel that!

After It was prepped, We started to put this beast in. Note it was 10pm on a Monday night.

So after 12:00 no luck....
                              We were so tired and it just didn't want to go in. I slept on it and started working on it by myself the next afternoon. later that day my roommate rolled through and lent me a hand. We had a bad angle on the tranny the whole time and thats why it wouldn't budge. So, We jacked it up a bit and the tranny clicked to the engine. Sounded like Lego's snapping together. Finally the engine was in and I could finally return that hoist that was costing me $40 a damn day.

And of coarse the booster would not fit with the manifold so I had to figure that out to. Either I could cut the booster more or find an epicly rare and expensive booster from a 2002tii. I ended up finding one at the shop and started to figure out what I had to do in order for that to fit. I had to shorted the shaft going to the brake pedal and use some random hardware but its finally all in. And look at that, it fits!

Old booster

New Booster

Did some wiring and bolted on the headers. I also managed to get my hands on a barely used radiator from a 79 5 series. Fits perfect! And looks sex with the electric fan in front of it.

lots of room!

Also Ripped out the A/C system and started mocking up a new custom center console.

Last but not least, started working on the Fuel injection pumps. grabbed a low pressure sender from a 82 320i and a high pressure pump from a '86 5 series (like mike's 5er).

that's all for now. I eventually will take everything apart again and paint and clean BUT.... I have to try to get this running before the 22nd of this month. I am trying to drive it to L.A. for a huge BMW show. We will see

-Rick

Comment

• nice. youre trying to bring it to bimerfest?

Widebody B6 build

HIT ME UP if you need Ksport supplies. i can get them to you cheaper than anyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X