No announcement yet.

Senza pari 280z build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That manifold is a work of art. The table looks really good too!

I'm not sure how I feel about the intake poking out of the hood but its your car so do as you please.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

• Runners 1 and 2 complete:

Untitled by SENZA PARI #1, on Flickr
      SENZA PARI

SENZA PARI by SENZA PARI #1, on Flickr
      Flickr Album:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/74953263@N07/

Comment

• Wish you were closer, I'd get you beer to learn a thing or two on welding from you.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

• Originally posted by TeckniX View Post
          Wish you were closer, I'd get you beer to learn a thing or two on welding from you.
          The big thing is simply keeping everything as clean as possible... The material, the filler rod, even the tools you use to clean the material, which means use stainless wire brushes to clean stainless, and don't use them to brush anything other than stainless. We spend easily the same amount of time cleaning and prepping our parts as we do welding.
          Another key is using an offset turners in order to spin the part. This allows you stay in one position while the part itself turns. You can then rest the cup on the part itself, and walk it back and forth ever so slightly across the seam as the part turns, which is known as "walking the cup". Very rarely is any part ( other than the base welds o the flange, or merge collector welds) welded without an offset turner. If we can spin it, we will.
          The last thing I would say, which is a big part in weld seam quality, both aesthetically and structurally, is getting the fit-up as tight and clean as possible. Most of the exhaust systems we do, other than the manifolds, are welded using no filler rod. The pieces fit up so well that we can simply butt the part up and fuse them together, while also achieving 100% penetration. Big gaps are evil.
          Now, obviously it will take a lot of time under the hood to get the hang of walking the cup, or just being comfortable welding in a number of positions, but if you practice the tips mentioned above, you'll have much better results.

Send the beer in the mail... heavy IPAs and stouts please;-)
          SENZA PARI

Flickr Album:

Comment

• Originally posted by SENZA PARI View Post
            The big thing is simply keeping everything as clean as possible... The material, the filler rod, even the tools you use to clean the material, which means use stainless wire brushes to clean stainless, and don't use them to brush anything other than stainless. We spend easily the same amount of time cleaning and prepping our parts as we do welding.
            Another key is using an offset turners in order to spin the part. This allows you stay in one position while the part itself turns. You can then rest the cup on the part itself, and walk it back and forth ever so slightly across the seam as the part turns, which is known as "walking the cup". Very rarely is any part ( other than the base welds o the flange, or merge collector welds) welded without an offset turner. If we can spin it, we will.
            The last thing I would say, which is a big part in weld seam quality, both aesthetically and structurally, is getting the fit-up as tight and clean as possible. Most of the exhaust systems we do, other than the manifolds, are welded using no filler rod. The pieces fit up so well that we can simply butt the part up and fuse them together, while also achieving 100% penetration. Big gaps are evil.
            Now, obviously it will take a lot of time under the hood to get the hang of walking the cup, or just being comfortable welding in a number of positions, but if you practice the tips mentioned above, you'll have much better results.

Send the beer in the mail... heavy IPAs and stouts please;-)
            Wish I could +rep for the tips and great info - Any links to some offset turners that could be purchased for the hobbyist?
            I'd be happy to paypal you some IPAs if that also motivates you to keep going on the build too. haha

Thanks again for taking the time to write this out!

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

• Do you have any picture from the inside? If not, you mind taking a picture of the weld from the inside with a flashlight?

Keep it up, welds and build looks insane!
              Vehicles: BMW E28

Comment

• Originally posted by TeckniX View Post
                Wish I could +rep for the tips and great info - Any links to some offset turners that could be purchased for the hobbyist?
                I'd be happy to paypal you some IPAs if that also motivates you to keep going on the build too. haha

Thanks again for taking the time to write this out!
                I'll see what I can find, your best bet might be something like craigslist... There are alot of old ones floating around that work just as well as the new ones, and can be had for dirt.

Originally posted by fizn View Post
                Do you have any picture from the inside? If not, you mind taking a picture of the weld from the inside with a flashlight?

Keep it up, welds and build looks insane!
                Thanks! Here's a shot of the inside weld seam:

BW400 TWIN 60MM MANIFOLD ID WELD SEAM by SENZA PARI #1, on Flickr

IMAG0473 by SENZA PARI #1, on Flickr

We spend alot of time welding reverse osmosis and nuclear systems where the welds undergo a number of inspections, so the inside of the weld seam is as nice as the outside by habit. We visually inspect all of our manifolds, and borescope anything we can't see.
                SENZA PARI

Flickr Album:

Comment

• Originally posted by SENZA PARI View Post
                  Thanks! Here's a shot of the inside weld seam:

BW400 TWIN 60MM MANIFOLD ID WELD SEAM by SENZA PARI #1, on Flickr

IMAG0473 by SENZA PARI #1, on Flickr

We spend alot of time welding reverse osmosis and nuclear systems where the welds undergo a number of inspections, so the inside of the weld seam is as nice as the outside by habit. We visually inspect all of our manifolds, and borescope anything we can't see.
                  Like a boss - looking good inside and out!

Originally posted by SENZA PARI View Post
                  I'll see what I can find, your best bet might be something like craigslist... There are alot of old ones floating around that work just as well as the new ones, and can be had for dirt.
                  Do you have brand name for it? Offset turner doesn't really yield a lot of results (except for hamburger tools. haha)

Comment

• In a sea of "wat coilover$ shud I get for my car?!" threads and "y all the **?!?!?!" comments, there is a light, and from the kingdom of real fabrication above (apparently Wisconsin?) shines a ray of knowledge, extending a warm embrace of SS304 and Argon to all modern generation Hot-rodders...

"Don't give up, don't despair. There is still hope. In a land without stickers, where aesthetics really ARE a quotient of functionality and knowledge is free to anyone willing to listen, there is still hope."

And with this, the young Hot-rodder gains the strength the fight on, torch-in-hand, for another day.
                    Originally posted by AMGwheelwhore
                    Quitters never stance.

Comment

• I don't care what you weld, how much or little. your work is simply breath taking

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

• Originally posted by 244Brick View Post
                        I don't care what you weld, how much or little. your work is simply breath taking
                        Thank you! And ask and you shall recieve...

And a little of the rest, starting with our own mufflers. (and no they're not warped, its just the camera distortion!)

I should really just start another thread for the Forester at this point... oh well. More gonzo-ness to come!
                        Last edited by SENZA PARI; 10-11-2012, 09:50 PM.
                        SENZA PARI

Flickr Album:

Comment

• you're a machine! they're smoother than butter

Comment

• THATS A LOT OF WOOD ! lol God i love your welding work. So impressive and inspirational
                            C280 Build Thread
                            C43 ///AMG Build Thread
                            E320 Wagon Build Thread

Follow me on Instagram:@SD_210

Comment

• Something about this thread makes me want a cage in every car I own
                              4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

• Theme song for this build "Tom Sawyer" - Rush. Any tips for beginning welders ? or like forums we can check out ? or better yet do you offer classes lol

Comment

Working...
                                X