project MX3 Turbo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• project MX3 Turbo.

I bought this 1997 Mazda MX-3 a couple of years ago now with 78K miles on the clock, my intention was always to turbo the 1600 DOHC engine, but the wheels and suspension have come first.

How she looked the day after I bought her and spent hours bringing the red back from pink.

And this is what it looks like now.

Modified front bumper
    Custom wind splitter
    Gen3 mirrors
    rear spoiler blank
    debadges
    arches rolled by Archenemy
    XYZ coilovers
    15" x 8J ET15 3SDM alloys
    195/50/15 tyres.

Also in prep for the Turbo install I have fitted a smaller width radiator from a Ford Focus
    to allow for an easier route for the boost pipes and nice short inlet tract.

own made alu expansion tank.
    own made stainless steel top hose
    alu bends.
    green silicone hoses.
    Magenta air filter.
    purple anodised rocker cover bolts.
    custom painted Magenta rocker cover with pulley section cut off.
    NGK leads.

LimJust recently made a stainless fusebox cover and alu power steering fluid bottle to fit.

Also these green valve stem covers and marble dice caps.

So thats pretty much where Im at right now, next up is installing a AEM F/IC, SPEC stage II clutch, then fit up the turbo bits using a Mazda 323 manifold, Probe IHI VJ-11 Turbo, 330cc injectors and hopefully a modified MR2/323 intercooler, oh and I want to get it a lil lower but ive maxed out on my coilovers so Im going to have removed a locking ring or spin the lower mount round.
    Cheers for now
    Last edited by Teknomaz; 07-26-2013, 09:24 AM.

Well after a few hours and many different designs on
    photoshop I have decided the best centre cap for me is plain black :lol:

Last edited by Teknomaz; 04-06-2013, 06:54 AM.

Comment

LOOKING BAD ASS! never knew these things had so much potential! :O

BMW E30 316 Type 1 "Isabel"

Originally posted by NickBroderick
      I saw a stock height vette scrape into a restaurant parking lot when I was dropping off my brother for work. I then scraped a lot more than him and became happy.

Comment

Nice, you can swap a ton of motors in these things, Bp swaps, FE swaps, KL swaps, etc...

Always thought a BP turbo car would be cool.
        Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion
        Fuck Rotas, I'd rather my wheels not break apart when I drive over a watermelon seed.

Comment

Ta muchly ..
          Most powerfull one we have the forum is a 320bhp KL-DE Turbo(low boost), so yeah they got potential

This might just be the first 1600 Turbo in the UK though, aiming for 160bhp with this first small turbo to begin with, then 200 with a larger one later on, will want electronic boost control for that though and maybe an LSD if I can find an AZ-3 model wich has one.

Comment

Originally posted by Teknomaz View Post

oh my FUCK I love what you've done here! It really reminds me of LA gear clothes from the 80's early 90's!

-Updated 07-29-2013- _ padraig@deathsquad.ca _ _

Comment

Yeah it is a bit 80's I agree! I still need to add some UV coolant dye as the filler hose that goes from the expansion tank to the top hose is translucent, the hose wrap around the throttle cable is also UV reactive along with some cable ties. Will be a few more colours appearing too once the turbo goes in.

Comment

This thing is dope. And yeah, KL's love boost, I have one boosted kl, and one N2o Kl car, and thinking about going boost on the nitrous motor...
                Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion
                Fuck Rotas, I'd rather my wheels not break apart when I drive over a watermelon seed.

Comment

Can't go wrong with a VJ11 setup. When you decide to go bigger, go for the VJ23. Pretty good spool for the size.

An all motor BP would be nice..

'88 323 - K-swapped
                  '03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege

Comment

Was thinking Garrett T3 if a vj23 proves too difficult to find...Yeah a BP would of been nice, but alas quite rare over here. Can get rods and piston spray bars quite easily though and coilpacks could be on the agenda at a later date if I have the inclination. Is it that a custom TB setup you have? One thing I would love to make fit is the SR20DET ITB's+plenum, thats just a pipe dream really though.

Comment

Gots to be a blast to drive!! Great color choices on the engine
                      slamburglars.com

Comment

Hellz yeah it loves the twistys bit like my old 205GTI but without the LOOS!

Comment

Originally posted by Teknomaz View Post
                          Was thinking Garrett T3 if a vj23 proves too difficult to find...Yeah a BP would of been nice, but alas quite rare over here. Can get rods and piston spray bars quite easily though and coilpacks could be on the agenda at a later date if I have the inclination. Is it that a custom TB setup you have? One thing I would love to make fit is the SR20DET ITB's+plenum, thats just a pipe dream really though.
                          That's just a picture I found off another forum in a Mx3 that's over here in the states. I have a KL in my 323.

Don't we all wish we had ITBs. lol
                          '88 323 - K-swapped
                          '03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege

Comment

Such a shame these are wrong wheel drive. I really dig this, will be awesome with some boost
                            sigpic

Comment

Aye you cant have it all, but I guess thats what the miata & rex are for..Nowt wrong with FWD in a strong chassis like this, has plenty of grip!
                              I know of only one AWD conversion and one more soon to be in the making using some 323 parts...

Yep needs bo000ost something chronic, missing it....

Comment

Working...
                              X