Straight outta Germany - Vol 2: E36 Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not really, no.

I've been throwing around some vague thoughts of selling it for some other project but I just can't part with it, because I'm just too attached to it. Will start taking it apart for a new rebuild once I've got the 5 done, so expect updates around spring.

I did find some rust aroudn the jacking points that needs taking care of when I swapped over to the steel wheels a few ago, though.

At the moment I'm thinking complete tear down, fix all bodywork issues, get a new engine (still undecided what route i'll go here, but i'll take my time with a decision), maybe build up another set of wheels just to change things up from the RFs. Expect it to be back on the road by 2016 at the earliest.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

• So...

what's happening here?

A few months ago I tried getting the car to run and discovered that it's blowing exhaust into the coolant after I had dropped in an all new cooling system. Pushed it back into the shed and forgot about it again.

Now it's finally time for it to go back on the road. For the time being, I'll have a look at the current engine, see if I can get it fixed. Probably the headgasket. As soon as I get some time, I'll be opening up the engine to have a look. I had been entertaining thoughts of an engine and transmission swap, but at the moment there's just no nice parts cars on the market.

In the mean time... I needed to have my front bumper resprayed anyways, but I'm thinking I'll take this as a chance to go a different route in terms of bumpers... stay tuned.

Also, I'm building a set of RH wheels as I had a spare set kicking around and I'm building it to 9x17 and 10x17 for the E36, going for fully polished. I will of course be keeping the BBS, but I just want something else to run for at least a season as I've kinda grown tired of the look of the car on the RFs.

I hope to have it done in time for DMPD in September, but if not, it'll be ready for next year's season at least.
      Last edited by Dr.AK; 07-13-2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• I'm just gonna leave this here.

Comment

• I really can't wait to see this man. I wish I could help you! I really want to see it next to mine and Alex's!

Comment

• Thanks man! Yeah that's gotta be our goal for 2016, our three Tourings next to each other!

Comment

• Hell yeah.

Managed to source a pair of AC Schnitzer skirts.

Comment

• start

Comment

• IT RUNS!!!!

And it turns out it wasn't the headgasket...

Turns out, it was the fuse for the heater. The heater valves didn't open, so the water couldn't circulate properly in the cooling system. Replaced the fuse, the water circulates fine now and I could bleed the coolant system proberly and I now also get warm air in the interior... and the engine temperatur holds steady in the middle, as it should!

Now, I'm just waiting on my painter to finish my Schnitzer pieces while I slowly get the car back to a roadworthy spec.

Comment

• Well done mate.
                    Originally posted by getamongst-it

Lower your expectations, you'll be much happier.
                    Oh, and your car too.

Comment

• I'm so happy for you dude. I hope this new look re-kindles some of the love you once had for this car, it certainly has for me. I can't wait to see it on the road again!

Comment

• Oh trust me, it already has.

I'm really, really anxious to drive it again!

Dropped in a different steering wheel today because it's in better condition than my old one, although it's far from perfect... it'll do for the time being, but eventually I'll switch to a dished sports steering wheel, just not sure which one yet...

Comment

• mach den mal sauber :P

Comment

• Letīs go on here

Bast brought me his bumpers and Sideskirt few days ago to get them ready for painting so I started with some glue for the Frontpumper which had a smal crack.

This has to dry fr a few days now so i went to the Sideskirts yesterday and started sanding them down. They are in pretty bad condition many scratches und cracks in the paint so I had to sand them fully down. Came out pretty sweet just have so sand some more around the Logos

More to come the next days

Comment

• Thanks for doing all the work, Markus! I know I would've gone insane trying my hand at that, hah!

So looking forward to picking up the finished stuff soon!

Comment

• I kind of finished the interior today.

The center console was pulled apart a bit and some electrical bits were missing because I had needed them for my E39 a few months ago

Replaced everything and soldered the electrical bits (mostly connectors for the heated seats and such) in place.

Then cleaned up the interior and applied some leather cleaner and leather care to all the leather parts.

But now, it's awfully obvious that the 'new' steering wheel is rather tatty as well, so I'll be ordering a new one shortly, very likely a Renown one.

On the passenger side, I quickly threw in the luggage net that I still had from my E39.

Comment

Working...
                                X