The Quest to Stance a Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JVC View Post
    Small update here... since I haven't in forever... I got a decent rear bumper that matches the rest of the car and isn't spray paint. Now it's just a matter of getting a front bumper dialed in. I'm really starting to like the look of this car so I'm on the hunt for some winter tires so I don't bend the subframe like I did last winter...

Yes, I know, it needs to be lower... yes I know it needs spacers... but for now, I'm a broke college kid that has way too many hobbies and not enough money to effectively support all of them. I'm either going to rock these wheels this winter or possibly take the 16" steelies I have and paint them gloss white and rock those. It all depends on what size snow tires I can come across that will look decent and fit right.

Otherwise for now, the only difference is the small front tires (bought 4 that size, and 2 had pinholes in the sidewall... got ripped off on craigslist) and of course the custom 960 Lip, not the same one I had previously worked on, but for $12 and a few hours of my time I feel like it suits the vehicle quite well.

Here are some pictures for your viewing enjoyment.

Yes I know... I cheated, gotta rock that fake low when you're not actually low.
    -John
    Dude, I have been looking for a Volvo for about 6 months now. Your car makes me what one even more. I was leaning towards a wagon but, your sedan looks awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
      they do.

SUP JVC.
      HI MATT! I want your wheels... trade?

Originally posted by wannacar View Post
      Dude, I have been looking for a Volvo for about 6 months now. Your car makes me what one even more. I was leaning towards a wagon but, your sedan looks awesome.
      haha thanks man! Pick up a wagon for sure! I kinda wish I had for the fact that well... it's a fucking wagon! What kinda Volvo are you looking for and where are you from? There are lots out there for sale, just gotta find the right one!

-John

Follow Me On Instagram! @jvc8790 #jvcphotography

Comment

I am in San Diego. I think everyone wants to much money for them. I am a little worried about trannys going out. Turbos kinda make me nervous also. I am leaning towards a wagon for sure. Have you put much into maintainence? How does yours run?

Comment

Originally posted by wannacar View Post
          I am in San Diego. I think everyone wants to much money for them. I am a little worried about trannys going out. Turbos kinda make me nervous also. I am leaning towards a wagon for sure. Have you put much into maintainence? How does yours run?
          You shouldn't have too much trouble finding something out there. I haven't heard any horror stories of 850's or X70's trans' going out... don't know where you heard that but I wouldn't be worried about it. The turbos also I haven;t really heard any issues from, i mean occasionally it seems people blow turbos but that's only on cars that are running factory turbo at 200k+... the seals just eventually give out. I haven't put much into maintenance... axles, breaks, oil changes and spark plugs is really about it. And I've put on almost 20k miles since I bought it. The CV boots were torn when I bought it and the brakes needed to be done shortly after buying it, but I bought the car knowing I'd have to replace some stuff and that's just what I did. Mine runs perfectly aside from the occasional misfire issue that I've been tracking down due to replacing the spark plug wires but not the coil wire.

I'd say hop over on VolvoSpeed.com and post up a WTB thread, and see if someone out in your area could help you out and find something in your price range in your area.

Comment

Here's some fresh pics from a local Volvo meet we had this past weekend. I tried something a little bit different with the headlights... not sure if it will stay for long. And I broke my lip on the way to the meet so I need to take it off and re-fiberglass it.

Comment

it really looks better and better!
              as you said, some spacers at least will be necessary.

Comment

I like!
                '88 323 - K-swapped
                '03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege

Comment

Thanks guys! I think with some proper tires, and some spacers I could be pretty happy with the car overall.

Comment

looks good bro!! is that full drop on the front? my dad has a S70 that were working on and im trying to convince him to get D2's...hows the ride on them?

Comment

Originally posted by kidGT View Post
                      looks good bro!! is that full drop on the front? my dad has a S70 that were working on and im trying to convince him to get D2's...hows the ride on them?
                      That is not full drop on the front. I can go down about another inch before the coilover would come in contact with the CV boot, then I can adjust further with the spring itself but then I end up with less travel. Ride is good, a bit harsh at some times but I drove it about 10 hours on full stiff. Needless to say, I regretted it a bit, but it wasn't unbearable. The nice thing is, the seats in the S70 (like any volvo) are quite plush so even with a semi harsh ride, its still pretty comfortable!

A few more pictures. Gonna get some tires dismounted from my steelies then get to painting them gloss white while I save up for proper snow tires.

Comment

awesome!! well i love how it sits dude...i think ima convince him to get the D2s then

your cars looking real good!! do work!!

Comment

looks good man! i like the progress you've made.
                          sigpic

Follow me on Instagram! @cskzero

Comment

Bump for you my fellow winnetkian. I'll be posting my e36 m3 build in a couple weeks once i start it. Already ordered Hamann PG1's And im on ground control coilovers / camber plates. Should be a good build, i also plan on installing a supercharger.

we should cruise together to some meets this summer since our houses are prob within a mile from eachother.

Comment

Love the BMW lip. Looks perfect.
                              Deathsquad mofo.

Comment

Alright guys, sorry I haven't updated this. I really haven't done anything buy drive the car.

Here are some recent pictures and a few changes.

Built this for my trunk which took me a while but was a good project (ignore the dirty as fuck trunk mat)

drove it in a bad snow storm with summer tires on

then our weather went bi-polar and it got stupid nice out so I detailed it one week.

made a front plate bracket since I got a ticket while parked at school and didn't want to have to worry about it anymore

then I did this photoshop

Determined I want white wheels, then a friend offered me these... $100 I couldn't turn down the offer.

17x8 ET35 Mille Miglia Action

They're ugly... so I did another photoshop to see what they would look like without fake bolt holes and got this.

Much better!!!

So I photoshopped them white on the car and fake low photoshopped the car.

Then I test fit them late one night at a friends house.

It looks like 25-30 MM out back and 5-10 up front will be a lot better with a 205/45 tire.

I then spent some time trying to find something I could buy at work (West Marine) to fill in those bolt holes. Then I found this stuff which looked promising.

Got it home and found out it's basically JB Weld in a can... and at $55 it was a little steep for my blood, but after my discount it was only $25... so I took a chance.

We're currently remodeling our family room and my parents are out of the house all week... this means they left me my own indoor body shop!

I sanded out some of the rash and prepared the wheels to get the bolt holes filled.

Glopped on a first coat of this stuff, my plan is to let this dry, sand it down a bit then throw on one more layer to this wheel with the stuff overflowing the hole so when I sand it down it will be flush with the wheel and after paint you hopefully wont be able to notice there were ever bolt holes there!

This is where I'm at now. Waiting for a paycheck at the end of the month to order 205/45 Hankook V12 Evo's. Those will get mounted to these wheels when done, and then the wheels will get mounted on the car to determine the final spacer specs needed. Then I can order those up and get this thing sitting right!

Thanks for looking!
                                -John

Comment

Working...
                                X