Davegerous E21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a little done today.

made quick work of armoring my sway bar mounts to prevent wearing though them. I haven't hit them much, but I figured it wouldn't hurt since they were already off. the edges aren't armored really, but now that the center has the reinforcement from the plating, it won't be the end of the world if/when the edges wear away since they are apparently just there for support. not the best pic, and they aren't the prettiest things ever, but they'll be functional.

sub frame repair. I had to basically cut out the bent section and re-do it. some hammering and bending was involved as well to get everything in ship shape. you can perhaps notice the triangular piece that replaces a missing chunk and adds reinforcement. I'm considering adding some plating so the sub frame is thicker where the control arms bolt through, especially since the driver's side (depicted) took quite a hit. Opinions on that are wanted and welcome. besides making up my mind on that detail, I just need to figure out what I'm doing for skid mounts on this sub frame and then I'm going to paint it up and install it.

Dave's Muffler & More on the social network!!!
    DAVESMUFFLERANDMORE@GMAIL.COM

Comment

how are you mounting the skid plate?

Comment

Ha! looks great. wrong power plant tho! if you must use a mazda motor, i could at least be a wankel.
        -Instagram@jdjurhuus
        Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

awesome build! great ingenuity and fabrication! respect.
          025garage

Comment

Originally posted by Volvosome View Post
            how are you mounting the skid plate?
            not 100% sure yet, but I have a couple ideas.

Zic, it is a Wankel, or do you mean it shouldn't be one? If I end up keeping this car for a real long time, I actually plan on converting it to a 4 cylinder, but not a bmw one.

and thanks for the compliments chaps!

Comment

Clean Engine Bay !

Are u keeping it white with the Blue Body or ?

Comment

thanks man. I do plan to stick with the pacific blue for the body color, I really dig it. I figured the white bay would compliment that. Later on, I plan to paint the top of the fenders so you don't see the original color there. Making the car drive is a bigger priority for now though.

I did get some progress on this thing in the last couple evenings.

the sub frame is in!

you can see the skid mounting tabs on it. you'll see what I'm thinking as my vision becomes reality.

starting to get some crap back in the bay. I'm going to stick with that god awful stock fuse box for now... I just want to drive the damn thing!

Cleaned up the steering rack stuff good enough for my standards. I figured out why the clamshell part of it was out of wack. There is a lobe on the steering rack to keep it lined up properly. with the frame rails bent and the steering binding up against the joints on the steering shaft and the transmission, it must have caused the clamshell to bend a bit. I worked a bit of harbor freight magic with a dead blow hammer and it seems to be in tip top shape!

Comment

Skid plates are a lot of work. I didn't get nearly what I wanted to accomplished today, but I'm still satisfied.

Added extra bolts to my front skid mounting points after realizing the tube for the skid would have to be moderately far forward.

Passenger side

Driver's side

the front of the skid will be bent up tight with the tube.

my pics got out of order, here's an engine bay shot. I put it back in yesterday. not much left to do in this department.

side view of the skid from the driver's side. you can see the flat bar I used to ensure the pan doesn't get crushed. if I hit something hard enough to push this skid into the pan, I'd probably have much worse problems anyways.

Comment

it's on the ground! should be drivable soon

clearance shots of the skid. I didn't loose any clearance with it actually, just lost a little in some places. I'm happy with it though.

a crappy pic showing my "basketball orange" wheels that have some massive 205's for my crappy rear alignment to burn up for now until I resolve that issue.

Brake lines from fluid connectors

a few shots of the skid pre-painted.

little nubbin to avoid snagging on the rear bolts

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Way to bring her back so far.
                        91 Golf Rebuild - slow as fuck right now

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-ger View Post
                          not 100% sure yet, but I have a couple ideas.

Zic, it is a Wankel, or do you mean it shouldn't be one? If I end up keeping this car for a real long time, I actually plan on converting it to a 4 cylinder, but not a bmw one.

and thanks for the compliments chaps!
                          oh it is a wankel?!

+100 internet points for you.
                          -Instagram@jdjurhuus
                          Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

thanks lads. I'm happy to receive the internet points Zic!

it's alive again. I want to put the hood back on it real bad, lol.

burning up some free 205's until I modify the rear suspension to fix the toe issue.

Comment

that dirty engine in that clean engine bay (((

Other then that Great wor k!

Comment

Holy carp. You could find land mines with that thing and feel comfortable.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Working...
                                X