• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replys.

Originally posted by P78 View Post
    another great update

lol at the attitude pic
    Thanks P78! Yeah, that shot IS for a "what's wrong with this shot?! The only reason I even post full-body shots here (and not on the Alfa site) is because SW is all about the stance, wheels and fitment. The Alfa site? They've never even heard of those words.

street

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
    Not actually replied to this, however I have been following it since the start. The progress is awesome, keep it up. I cannot wait to see it finished.
    Thanks for chiming in then, Jorge. I'm committed to push this build as far as it needs to go. As I've said before, no filler or idle chatter here. When I post, it's all about the next update. No BS.

street

Originally posted by PMcD View Post
    I can see the pictures just fine.

Your car is great as always. Your craftsmanship is quite impressive, can't wait to see it once it is all done!
    Thanks PMcD! I've had a lot of help, but the current work is getting done solely by myself. It's getting there. Stay tuned!!

street

Originally posted by Walnuts View Post
    This whole time I was not expecting you to be a big huge tough looking black guy. Car looks great man
    Thanks Bro!

street
    Last edited by street; 05-14-2011, 12:02 AM.
    form - function - stance

Comment

• Spider Front Bumper Internal Pieces

Picked up the front bumper's internal panels from my painter today and headed for the garage. But before heading inside, I took a shot of them in the sun, because I knew the lighting would be crap from here on.

I started off by assembling the cold air (7 to 4 inch) bell mouths and cut tubing accordingly. This tubing will not be connected to the filter. Instead, it will act a direct feed to within a couple inches of the filter.

Keeping the filter's tubing as short as possible reduces the chance of a pressure drop and helps the engine breathe a lot better. The filter will be attached to the plenum's tubing and located just on the other side of the fender.

I then installed all the internal panels, bumper and located the bell mouths to feed off of the central panel. The only panel missing, is the one that runs horizontally across the top (above the tow ring) of the entire port.

Standing back, the panels then blend in and fade. This is the look I was gunning for - clean and simple. It's not until you get up close and squat down, do you realize the bell mouths. Other than that a small panel of mesh will be located at the back of the rad tunnel which will fade the fan and rad itself. To finish the look, a 1/2 inch brushed aluminum surround will get CNC'd and reside within the Alfa triangle.

Close-up.

street
      form - function - stance

Comment

• A Closer Look.

I had some time today to beat the light and take slightly better shots so you guys can see the bell mouth's locations.

All that is needed is the 2" tall top horizontal panel to close down the entire port.

street
        form - function - stance

Comment

• Plenums Meet "The Foil"

Then it was time to start on the plenum's heat barrier. Originally, I had planned to have them heat treated with coatings, but since these are just a hold-over units until I get the real ones made, I opted to foil them.

This stuff is awesome!! Light, thin and has the ability to reflect any radiant heat away from whatever it covers. A few of my Bros use this gold foil and swear by it. Plus I had a 2x4 foot sheet in my stock and could easily get it done myself.

One of the cool things I wanted to do with the foil, was to have a "punched out" effect on the trumpet's side for more of a raw feel. So I grafted around the holes and stretched it.

Here's the bottom.

Then both sides together.

I then relocated them into the bay and checked the fit and effect. Just what I was after. Now all that is needed is to spray the interior sections with thermal paint in a glossy black.

street
          form - function - stance

Comment

• Like the stretching of the foil... its the little things that really make the build personalized. Great work.

Comment

• It just gets better and better... Setting the bar, one update at a time!

sigpic
              Chi va piano va sano e lontano...
              • MINI is sold. Next project? • E28 Build Thread

Comment

• Replys.

Originally posted by PMcD View Post
                Like the stretching of the foil... its the little things that really make the build personalized. Great work.
                Thanks PMcD! I wanted to not only use a heat barrier that's not too common, but in a way that you wouldn't expect. More subtle tweaks on the way. Stay tuned!!

street

Originally posted by Puma View Post
                It just gets better and better... Setting the bar, one update at a time!
                Thanks Puma! I'm up very late going over so many details nightly, that's it's just nuts! Basically, I subscribe to: "Gonna hit? Hit HARD!!"

street
                form - function - stance

Comment

• Addressing Heat Issues

Last nights barnstorming session reveled a couple more tweaks and they were implemented earlier on today.

First up, was the plenums getting a glossy black thermal heat paint job on the interior sections. So I whipped up a small "paint boof" taped the plenum up in Frog Tape and sprayed them down.

Four coats later, they were finished.

Next up were the trumpets that received a deep glossy grey. Pay no attention to the center trumpet that has it's edge slightly damaged. It'll get replaced.

street
                  form - function - stance

Comment

• Double Duty.

While the plenums and trumpets dried, I turned my attention to a small mod. It's nothing too interesting, but the fitment on the rear lamps was not up to my spec. I had to file down the inner sections and realign the bulb/harness holder to fit. A couple test fits later and all was a perfect fit with the lamps being flush with the body.

Right side.

Left side.

street
                    form - function - stance

Comment

• Gold Candy!

Last night I stepped up the concept and decided to wrap the trumpet's stems in the same fashion as the inside edge of the plenums. What I wanted to create, was a visual transition of "flow" - the ITB'S pulling that cold air in and leaving it's mark on the system itself.

To do this I wrapped the trumpets with the bottom edge cut in sections and swirled the tape as it was applied.

Anyway, enough blab. Here's the gold foil wrapped induction candy!!

street
                      form - function - stance

Comment

• Plenum Concept Configured

I then located all the pieces and assembled the units into the bay. To finish them off, a thin layer of weather stripping will line the top sections to seal against the hood. Also, a set of ring clips will secure the intake tubings to the plenums themselves. Here are several angles.

street

form - function - stance

Comment

• Front Bumper Panel Mock

Next up was fabricating the top horizontal panel for the front bumper's intake port. This panel not only knocks back the expanse of space, but also, adds detail to an already clean section.

The concept for this overall section, was to have an open space that had shapes that mimics many of the front lines. At the same time, subtly exposing functional internal pieces and panels.

I want a perfectly cut line and I was unable to get it exactly how I wanted it from the mock in 50 thou aluminum. So I'll have my metal shop cut me this section on a brake for the cleanest line possible. The final piece will also receive the blacked out treatment.

Here's the mock.

street
                          form - function - stance

Comment

• Muted Loop.

Nothing left unturned. Blacked out the tow loop as well for a more stealth look. It doesn't need to be easily seen. I know where it is!

street
                            form - function - stance

Comment

• WOW is all i can say you did an amazing job.
                              Props to you mann.

Comment

• Originally posted by street View Post
                                Worked on the diffuser slates today and mocked up the lines I wanted in 0.025 aluminum sheet. Easy enough to cut. So I used the exhaust's port as a guide a started grafting from there.

After a ton of shaving adjustments...

I had the final piece to replicate and cut out the remaining 3 slates.

After that I taped them into place for checks..

...and dropped her down for further adjustments and checks.

With the stance not fully dialed in, pay no attention to the differences between the left and right wheels. I'm on some BS until my CCW's arrive. The right is closer to where final placement will be.

Following the central port was crucial to pulling off a uniform line. All checked out at the 3/4 as well.

Then a final parting shot to today's work. She's getting there. The final product won't be as thin as these mocks. They'll be much thicker at the top and taper towards the ground into a sharp point.

street
                                OMG! with those wheels is just perfect. doesnt get any better. PLEASE don't change them.
                                Hatchbacks, wagons... It's NOT all the same. You want in? Don't get a mazda 3, get a mazda 6 wagon. Don't get a wrx get a legacy wagon. and theres a reason the A3 isn't called the A3 avant... Scion does not make a wagon it makes a weird van, but no wagons

Sincerely,
                                The Wagon Mafia:Inner Circle
                                P.S. Is your tail a wagon?

Show cars are lame.

Comment

Working...
                                X