Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hank the Tank

Story time:

So one day at work, (Autozone) after having worked on Rusty until 4 in the morning with Mike, (getting it ready for H2O when the chop and stuff was unveiled) I completely passed out in the break room on lunch. I had opened that day so I had like 2 to 3 hours of sleep and had worked the day before too. Dead tired. The floor guy walks by and wakes me up with a laugh.
    "Haha too much to drink last night?"
    "Wha... ugh.. no. Just stayed up working on a car."
    "What kind?"
    "An old rusty bimmer."

"Need a parts car?"

Whats this? Opportunity? Lets dig a bit deeper...

He says, "yeah I have an 86 5 series that's been sitting for a while. I'd probably sell it to you for 3 or 4 hundred bucks. Interior is in great shape, everything works, new clutch... I just say parts car cause I can't find the title... and I don't have a key... but its seriously in great shape."

I would have assumed it was stolen, but I know the guy well enough, so long story short I went to have a look.

Found it buried in 5 gallon buckets of floor cleaning supplies, wasp nests all over and inside it, all four tires flat and dry rotted from staying in the same position for who knows how long. He said it had sat for 3 years. "I had the clutch replaced then parked it"

Turns out all the car's records were in the glove box. Found the paperwork on the clutch... work performed in '02.... meaning it sat for 8 years. But the interior honestly was super mint, and it was in good enough shape, and Mike was amped and kept saying he'd buy it if I didn't... can't have that... so $300 later, brought it home.

minor damage on the front left from it rolling down a hill with the parking brake disengaged haha. basically just pushed the headlights back and dented the fender. Tires were far beyond usable so Mike had his set of hayashis sitting around, tossed those on temporarily so I could move it around the driveway

Fought the title lady for a while trying to use the bill of sale to issue new registration.... going nowhere fast. Just when I was gonna get out an angle grinder and do a little change of identity... he found the title

So now I have a titled bimmer for 300 bucks. Just the issue with it having sat for 8 years... yeah it didn't wanna start. We replaced coils, fuel pumps, cap, rotor, relays, and a hundred other things and it eventually started, but with a major fuel delivery problem. Wound up pulling the in-tank pump out and it was sucking up this molasses goo from the tank.

Goo? yeah. And it smelled like all unholy hell in the form of a chemical. A red, sticky, soquid chemical.

Replaced the tank and fuel strainer... now it won't run at all lol.

So I've been swapping out all the lock cylinders in the car for spares that had keys since he had lost the original.

So... this might be a bit boring right now, but once it runs i'm gonna clean it up really nice, get it on the ground, and daily it I'll probably have somewhat consistent updates with my progress once I figure out this fuel issue.
    Last edited by C-Hutch; 11-30-2010, 09:46 AM.

subscribed. looking forward to the progress of this one
    Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Nice project. Get to slamming and tucking dood!
      Christof Goulart
      FCGoulartDesign.

Comment

You put those chrome tail lights back on right now, car is probably just angry at you for that.

Seriously though man, looking forward to seeing the outcome! You may have just killed the pumps again, reading on mye28 that can happen just b running it low on fuel :/

Comment

About time for the thread! That interior is awesome. I'm jealous. Did you paint the tail light silver or get shadow line ones?

Comment

Mint, will keep watch for sure!

Comment

subbin cause im sure this will be epic
              Originally posted by M.Burroughs
              I'd have to say this site was founded on building the cars we wanted to build, despite if the rest of the car community liked it or not. This site was founded on freedom of automotive self expression and the passion that goes in to each and every build... This site is about doing what you like, whatever makes you happy, and not caring about what other people think...

Comment

I dig it...

Comment

^same

i hope to own one of these someday so this will be interesting to me
                  *CLICKY*add us on the facebook
                  blog www.gotoelevens.blogspot.com *** www.AceUpMotorsports.com ***www.azdriven.com board sponser

Comment

lexus v8 swap, sup.

Originally posted by Moose
                    And roof racks with random shit on it, stop that.

Comment

tails aren't shadowlines... one of the stock ones had a big hole in the lens and Mike had some that had been painted so i just swapped them both for now. I kept the good chrome one though so I can put them back when i find another.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondamonster View Post
                        tails aren't shadowlines... one of the stock ones had a big hole in the lens and Mike had some that had been painted so i just swapped them both for now. I kept the good chrome one though so I can put them back when i find another.
                        My friend gave me a set of chrome ones, if you pick them up they are yours

Comment

deal! stipulation- I'm only coming for them if i get to drive this car down there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondamonster View Post
                            deal! stipulation- I'm only coming for them if i get to drive this car down there.

YES You need to do this soon...so we can all hang out...get shitty drunk and go camping or something...in the cold. Yes. Thats right. Also you can help me finally drop the motor in the accord.....yes...maybe?.....Well make it one badass celebration haha.

Either way though pull those pumps and straight wire em when you get a chance first thing to see if they even work.

On another note haha my trucks in a pic....damn its high....we cant have that...must...drop...

Off topic. I also just watched Zombieland....its pretty fucking good lol.

Comment

Mike has set some high expectations for any E28s coming out of the House of Stanceworks. Be sure to live up to them.

Can't wait to see what you do!

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

Working...
                              X