No announcement yet.

Chariot of the Damned, Supra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHATTTTTTT This is my fav build thread of all time. It cant be overrr, this car is awesome.

#LOSING

Comment

• Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Comment

• Hey guys. So I guess you're wondering what happened. After the oil pan problem I had, I replaced the pan and monitored my oil levels religiously. Everything was back to normal for some time. Engine was strong, and I was happy to have it running again. I took the long weekend to rip around on some rural roads with a friend of mine. COTD performed really well. Driving with the hood back on, I didn't notice any abnormal noises. Then on the way back from buying some new tires I started to hear unusual noises that sounded like rod knock. Almost exactly like rod knock. I pulled into a service station and listened to the engine with the hood up. My optimism went out the window. It wasn't lifters. It wasn't cams.

Evidently even though I tried my best to prevent it, the engine still developed rod knock from the split second that it went without oil back when I cracked the pan. I almost cried. Where my life is right now, I just packed up everything I own to move to Vancouver. I've already put in my notice at my job. I've already moved out of my apartment. This is the very last thing I need right now.

I've been thinking for the past few days. I love this car more than anything. It's the first car I've owned. It's all I spend money on. Back when I first bought the COTD, back when it was just a regular blue toyota, I was in a really bad place in my life. I was depressed, I had just lost the girl I saw myself spending the rest of my life with, and it seemed like everything I had been working towards in my life was out the window. I don't know why but at that time I felt like I needed something to distract me from the bummer that my life was. I started looking at local cars for sale, used ones, and wanted something like a 944 turbo that I could do an LS1 swap on. I didn't plan to buy the COTD at all.

When I saw the blue 1990 MK3 Supra for the first time, I knew I had to go for it. It wasn't the Colin Mcrae rally bred subie I had wanted when I was a kid. It wasn't the 944 turbo I had lusted after and started saving for when I was in my early 20's. It wasn't a car I had ever considered buying. It was heavy, there wasn't a lot of aftermarket for it, it had terrible turn radius, the undercarriage made it difficult to slam and a hundred other problems in the back of my head told me that it wouldn't be an easy project.

The only thing I saw in it, was what I saw in myself, which was potential. I knew that if I bought it, and committed to doing it balls to the wall in every way, then I would be able to turn it into something really special.

That's why I'm going to keep the Chariot Of The Damned.

I'm not going to sell the shell, but I am going to part out the built 7MGTE I have now. The only thing is, I don't have the money to get a replacement powerplant. If I wanted to get one, it would mean taking out a bank loan. I do not want to do that. financing a swap like that is a recipe for bankruptcy. I also don't want to spend the 2K it would take to ship my non-working car across the country to where i'm moving.

As for a replacement engine, I think you can guess what I'm going to do.

I never do anything half-way. To do the swap is going to cost me more than 4k though, even if I do all the work myself, and I'd only have until October 1st to do the entire thing.

I know. Not exactly a walk in le park.

I'm not sure what to do. If I sell the parts on the 7MGTE that are good, I could recoup enough to make the swap affordable. If anyone wants anything just PM me. I'll also leave a link to my ad here in the classifieds when I put it up.

Hope everyones long weekend is going a bit better than mine haha

Last edited by padraigmk3; 09-05-2011, 11:41 AM.

-Updated 07-29-2013- _ padraig@deathsquad.ca _ _

Comment

• Originally posted by padraigmk3
          That's why I'm going to keep the Chariot Of The Damned.

Sorry to hear about your luck, I'm sure it will all work out.

Comment

• I can think of no better thread to leave my first SW post on.
            Sorry to hear about your difficulties man. Hope to see this baby alive and roaring again.

Keep it heavy, no push moshing.
            God bless this mess

Comment

• This is what cars mean to alot of us, becoming a big part of our lives, sometimes the only companion that stays by our side when everything else around us keeps changing.It's the one constant.

Followed this thread from the beginning till now, road ahead is not easy but it takes some resolve to commit to keeping it.

In short, if i had a extra 7M lying around right now, i would donate it to you.I'll see what i can find though.

Frankie

Comment

• sick work dude...awesome build!!

Comment

• Sounds like your weekend is going a bit worse than mine. I lost my bunny on friday, and been looking for another car since with the little money I got for the dead Rabbit. I was in a bad place in my life when I got the rabbit, and I told myself that it would be a corner stone, a turning point in my life, and in a way it was. But that's boring shit. Tonight I saw a MK1 GLi that I fell in love with, and hopefully it'll be the start of a new, healthier relationship. The only thing that keeps us going is ourselves and the passion that burns inside, and I hope to see your Chariot live again. You've been inspiring so far and I wish you the best of luck

Keep if f*ckin' metal
                  Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

1999 C43 AMG (no thread..yet)

Comment

• sucks about the bottom end man

i'm glad you decided to carry on with it

i would've been shattered to see this scrapped before coming to fruition

i hope you have more luck with the build going forward
                    Drinking Enthusiast with a Car Problem

Comment

• Originally posted by DWIRich View Post
                      WHATTTTTTT This is my fav build thread of all time. It cant be overrr, this car is awesome.
                      It ain't over until I'm broke.. and then some.

Originally posted by mk3 View Post
                      too soon to start shot gun'ing shit for my supra :P ?
                      Nope! Engine is being parted out so make me an offer for anything you want

Originally posted by loudest03cavi View Post
                      Sorry to hear about your luck, I'm sure it will all work out.
                      Thanks dude, I'm going to give it my best shot.

Originally posted by sawatsky View Post
                      I can think of no better thread to leave my first SW post on.
                      Sorry to hear about your difficulties man. Hope to see this baby alive and roaring again.

Keep it heavy, no push moshing.
                      Thanks for the support dude

Originally posted by stone_free View Post
                      This is what cars mean to alot of us, becoming a big part of our lives, sometimes the only companion that stays by our side when everything else around us keeps changing.It's the one constant.

Followed this thread from the beginning till now, road ahead is not easy but it takes some resolve to commit to keeping it.

In short, if i had a extra 7M lying around right now, i would donate it to you.I'll see what i can find though.

Frankie
                      Glad you can empathize man. Sometimes I feel like this is the first and last car I'm ever going to own.

Originally posted by Raarasutra View Post
                      Sounds like your weekend is going a bit worse than mine. I lost my bunny on friday, and been looking for another car since with the little money I got for the dead Rabbit. I was in a bad place in my life when I got the rabbit, and I told myself that it would be a corner stone, a turning point in my life, and in a way it was. But that's boring shit. Tonight I saw a MK1 GLi that I fell in love with, and hopefully it'll be the start of a new, healthier relationship. The only thing that keeps us going is ourselves and the passion that burns inside, and I hope to see your Chariot live again. You've been inspiring so far and I wish you the best of luck

Keep if f*ckin' metal
                      Nothing boring about it man. I like hearing other people's feelings about their rides. Thanks for the luck, and I want to see your new dub on here if you choose it.

Originally posted by 180roman View Post
                      sucks about the bottom end man

i'm glad you decided to carry on with it

i would've been shattered to see this scrapped before coming to fruition

i hope you have more luck with the build going forward
                      I got scared. I thought of all the bills, the money I don't have, the time I don't have, and everything else that makes it a bad idea to keep the COTD, but when I took a step back it was obvious that I couldn't let it go. Plus, I couldn't put 15 wide meisters on any other car after getting the COTD prepped to handle them. I'd be double crossing it. The bitch knows I promised it those wheels haha.

I'm calling driftmotion today to get their thoughts on all the parts I'm going to need and the shipping costs.

P.S. Here's my engine in the classifieds section of the forum for anyone who's interested:

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21324

I'll leave you guys with a great song by John Lee Hooker.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlwJRk09I5U&feature=related"]John Lee Hooker - Highway 13 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• You know how people say, "who would you turn gay for?"

Yeah....
                        You.

^ No homo

Serious though dude, this build not only inspires every last member on S/W, but im positive the people who havn't signed up also. What you have done, and how you have chosen to persist on with this car. This isn't a car anymore bro, this is your heart and soul, and we all have your back no matter what happens... Even from another country.

Comment

• Okay. Enough with me being a crybaby bitchface. Lets all give each other backrubs and get over it :P

Time to get down to motherfucking biz-nas. Lets take that goddamn 7MGTE out of there and replace it with some...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53gjP-TtGE"]Kanye West - POWER - YouTube[/ame]

So now the question I'm asking myself is which engine do I want to use to shatter people's bones?

VS

VS

Each has it's advantages, and disadvantages. If I go 1JZGTE, I can make reliable HP, I get a higher revving engine for a lot less than the price of a 2JZGTE, and if I want the extra 500cc of displacement the 2J offers, I can swap the bottom ends and create the unholy abomination that would be a 1.5JZGTE. I can also use the money I save on buying the engine initially to pump the rest into making higher HP and doing fun stuff like forged internals, garret/greddy turbos, cams, porting etc. Eventually I'd end up with something like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuu2beNP1MY&feature=related"]Rob Neeson Chaser JZX90 1.5JZ HKS T04Z 820hp - YouTube[/ame]

If I were to buy the 2JZGTE right off the bat, I would be spending more, but I would be getting that full 3l of displacement right away, and after BPU it'd be churning out around 400BHP with the stock turbos running 17.4PSI. The increase in power only goes up from there with maybe a single turbo setup and some internals plus under drive, cams, adj cam gears, better valve springs and retainers etc etc. I've gotta say, this is appealing:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFwhCduV3fo"]2jz cressida - YouTube[/ame]

Last but not least, is the LS3 camaro engine. My friend has one he's willing to sell me for $500. I'd need to get a custom driveshaft made, install megasquirt, swap in a T56 transmission and get motor mounts fabbed, a billion other things, as well as rip my face off trying to wire it up. I know less than shit all about LS swaps, other than what I can remember from when I wanted to do a 944 LS1 swap when I was 21. On the bright side, I could eventually turbo it and end up with this sort of living nightmare:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja7pu6oz0eM"]LS1 S10 - YouTube[/ame]

So what are your opinions guys? I'll figure out what I want to do eventually, but right now I feel like there are too many sick options to choose from. Let me know what you dudes think!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cjQJzlCAF8"]Toyota Supra 3000GT TV Commercial - Music by Kitaro - YouTube[/ame]
                          Last edited by padraigmk3; 09-08-2011, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• I say LS3 - $500 = win, I just feel like living nightmare fits so well with chariot of the damned lol
                            Originally posted by JC.
                            'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

• I'm sorry to hear your troubles man. I'm currently going through the same thing. I paid tuition, then the next week threw a rod in my wrx. It's going to be astronomically expensive to fix, but after I pondered parting the car I said fuck it. Lets make some fucking power.

So after a month of research, and analysing spreadsheets of every motor from a price, power, and longevity stand point, I decided to play it safe.

My difference is I need my car working again asap. My advice is, toss the car on a train and keep it. save your pennies and go bananas, twin turbo mullet smasher and put the lsx in it down the road.

If that doesnt tickle your nuts correctly than play it safe. Don't get fancy and stick with what has been done. The 1jz came in the car in japan, my grandma has done the swap 17 times, it's documented, you can count your expenses before it happens. Stay safe do that, keep costs down and fix it before you go and make good power. If you're not happy with the power, or the ceramic turbos let go and you want another Beyonce impregnator under your hood, swap in a 2j bottom end down the road and build a monster.

400hp is alot. Sure it wont be winning races in texas, but it's still enough to scare the panties off bitches and shit.

Comment

• I say LS. I'm a diehard 1/2jz fan, but this car has always been an uncouth son of a bitch. Don't do the usual swap. Be different and do the loud, annoying, hellish swap from America.
                                Originally posted by SeanDub
                                But of all the things you could Jew out on, suspension probably shouldn't be your first pick.

Comment

Working...
                                X