Rusty's Build Thread [250+ photos]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Meeve View Post
    Glad you didint, that would make you a bad mod.

This car was build to receive critics. Good or bad. Want to hear mine? doesnt matter.

I am dissapointed. While the car in general is awesome, I expected a new finish on it but it's still the old airplane look. And that step up lip? Now that just look silly. I prefered the older version (just before the fire) a lot more than this version of rusty. The whole race car look dont realy match the theme I think as this was clearly never an intended race car. But oh well rusty has always provoked strong reaction, and it still deliver.
    Would also show my loyalty to the thread i am in.

This car was not built to be criticized, nor was it built to please anyone other then mike.

It has a full tube chassis, full built running gear, built with a group 5 aesthetic in mind and you think that it is clearly not intended to be a race car? You clearly have no idea.

The point i was trying to make is that it is frustrating living in this day and age where everyone feels the need to throw their two cents in, criticize what other people have done, and have little to reinforce their perceived knowledge.

I also like how mike wont have to update this thread as its running itself.
    Originally posted by anth
    Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhiteLove View Post
      so nobody is allowed to criticize anything about it ?

i love this built more then everything, just the rear wheels are not my thing ^^

this car is the reason why i started this hobby and changed my whole life for it <3
      If i had my way, no.

Rusty is the reason 70% of people are on this forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxer View Post
        The point i was trying to make is that it is frustrating living in this day and age where everyone feels the need to throw their two cents in, criticize what other people have done, and have little to reinforce their perceived knowledge.
        I'd like to think this is one reason why Mike kept it under wraps for the whole rebuild; just for the sake of not having twenty people tell him twenty different ways he should be doing things instead.

I really can't wait for the full feature to drop once SEMA's over. I almost have a hard time believing it would be fast, simply because it looks too good. But looking at the motor and the reworked suspension, it looks like it'll be an absolute demon on the track!

Pic/Build Log: Here
        Instagram: tha_notorious_b

Comment

• The plug wires aren't there for the same reason the car has no floor or inner fenders: we ran out of time. We've been working on it daily from when we get off our day jobs at 5 until 2-3am for the past 4 months, and on and off for the past 2 years, and there is still more to do. We needed a set date to work towards or else we'd never finish, so we brought it as done as we could get it in time. We're still going to keep working on it, and many of the complaints we've seen so far are things we aanted to have done.

I think the wheels are awesome, but I can understand how people can think they're excessive. It might be tough to tell in the photos, but the body of the car is raked forwards quite a bit. The rear wheels being so much bigger really accentuate the wedge shape and look just amazing in person. And to whoever said the rear tires look small, they are the largest tire that is available for purchase for a 19" wheel - 345/30/19 Hoosiers - and they are still a bit too small. The original Yokohamas that were used back in the IMSA days are all dead by now and no one makes replacements. We even tried Yokohama themselves and they don't even have records of ever producing them, never mind any spare sets. If you look at any of the old cars that ran the 19's that still race today you will see that they have all stepped the rears down to 17's or 18's just so they can get tires.

I don't have any pictures of the interior with the body on the car, but here is one I snapped 3 days before the show during final assembly that shows off the chassis pretty well.

Mike will be at the show for the rest of the week, but I'm back in home for work now so I'll be checking back on this thread to answer any questions until he gets back and gets the main article up.

Comment

• one of the comments after the fire had me(and probably others) expecting a tube frame version of rusty, but the grp 5/dtm look is simply amazing.

honestly cannot wait to see it completed and hitting the track for some fun!!

Comment

If i had my way, no.

This is the most accurate comment in the whole thread.
              IG: Dimitriantoniou
              1997 bmw 328i vert: sold:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=55235
              1997 bmw 328is: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69857

Comment

• Forever the best build thread ever. I've loved seeing this car go through it's many phases over the years. This most recent version of the car is something I don't think anyone saw coming and that's what makes it awesome. Although I know that there is very little of Rusty Slammington left remaining at this point, the car's soul still loves on through it's transplanted body. And i'm cool with that. Cheers Mike, you've done it again.
                MB Obsidian Black Metallic Crossfire SRT-6
                Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

This car was not built to be criticized, nor was it built to please anyone other then mike.

1. That's a pretty heavy power trip you're on.

2. You, I, Mike, and everyone else who has ever stepped foot on an internet forum know that everyone has an opinion about something.

3. Whether it was built to please himself or not, he still posted to showcase it. What's the difference between Meeve posting something on here V.S. Me going to SEMA and saying in person "Oh y'know, I preferred the Ronals over the BBS."

Also, I preferred the Ronals over the BBS.

I won't be surprised if this is the statement that gets me banned.
                  Last edited by Expire; 11-04-2015, 08:49 AM.
                  Originally posted by projectmaxspeed
                  well i want to be different i could go for some vette saw blades

That destructo-ray is a played out gag, in the cape
                  and the pants suit lookin' like a straight out...Dag.

Comment

• Byron - after seegin the tube chassis, I guess the car will not be street legal, am I right?

To be absolutely honest, I didn't liked the last Rusty's version before fire took it out very much (this is just my personal preference), but seeing this has changed my mind absolutely. The amount of engineering, development and building is just incredible and I have to say that Rusty really has returned better and more beautiful than before. This definetely is the most inspiring build I've seen so far and probably also one that pushes the limits the most. Congratulations guys, well done!

Comment

• Thanks for the details Byron. When I originally made my comment about the plug wires, I didn't realize that the car wasn't finished (given Rusty's nature, sometimes it can be hard to tell what's unfinished vs what is done by design!). And I love the shot of the raw tube chassis, I think it's something that probably gets completely overlooked by 90% of the people looking at SEMA photos on Instagram etc. Shows how much thought and work is done underneath the body.
                      Steve - now in San Diego!

Shoot My Car - Automotive Photography in SoCal

Comment

• That tube chasis is INSANE. No matter the criticisms received here. This car always sets the bar and starts conversations. It is definitely the reason why i signed up for stanceworks. The engine being so far behind the front suspension is amazing.

Comment

• The picture of the chassis is the best picture in this entire thread. Just awesome.

Comment

Cars been unveiled for 5 hours after a 4 year build and there are already critics......

So tempted to ban you right now...
                            From one mod to another, it's a good thing you didn't.

Originally posted by WhiteLove View Post
                            so nobody is allowed to criticize anything about it ?

i love this built more then everything, just the rear wheels are not my thing ^^

this car is the reason why i started this hobby and changed my whole life for it <3
                            Originally posted by Meeve View Post
                            Glad you didint, that would make you a bad mod.

This car was build to receive critics. Good or bad. Want to hear mine? doesnt matter.

I am dissapointed. While the car in general is awesome, I expected a new finish on it but it's still the old airplane look. And that step up lip? Now that just look silly. I prefered the older version (just before the fire) a lot more than this version of rusty. The whole race car look dont realy match the theme I think as this was clearly never an intended race car. But oh well rusty has always provoked strong reaction, and it still deliver.

I'm so harsh because I've seen the older rusty. Taken out of context, if I had never seen the old one, I would have drooled all over the place (except for the step up lip). I'm glad mike is building such wild car for all of us to appreciate and although I critisize it, I enjoy it more than most I'm sure.

Also, I'd like to see more picture of the interior as we can't see many I want to see whats going on in there. And just a funny thought, I wonder if this car still have 1 original part on it. Goes to say the work thats been into it.
                            Originally posted by Oxer View Post

It has a full tube chassis, full built running gear, built with a group 5 aesthetic in mind and you think that it is clearly not intended to be a race car? You clearly have no idea.

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
                            If i had my way, no.

And the rest of the 30% will still criticize it no matter what. Can't stop. Won't stop. Even if they have no credibility...

Embrace it. Those 30% that complain/rage about the car on their websites/forums will join in on the complaining or have people who are genuinely curious and visit this website/forum.

Can't win them all but at the end of the day, they are still talking about it.

Main Page - Facebook - Flickr - Instagram - Twitter
                            Originally posted by Oxer
                            You know who Jason is? Anyone here read the Bible or know most of the stories etc? Who's the guy that stands at the gate and decides if you get into heaven or not? That's Jason. He processes everyone in the intro threads and welcomes them.
                            Originally posted by Average_Jerk
                            Also you relinquish all of your rights by posting in RT. You can be banned at any time for no reason at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by jasonklee View Post
                              From one mod to another, it's a good thing you didn't.

Can't win them all but at the end of the day, they are still talking about it.
                              I know, hence why i didn't

Threads like this bring out the best of forums, i make one comment about banning someone, with no real intention of banning anyone, and so far two others have gone off on tangents about what i have said...

Meeve and Expire; COME AT ME IN RANDOM THREAD BROS.

Byron, again, love you bro gotta love that show prep deadline. Weeks of zombie like status, running on pure autopilot by the end of it haha. In that vid that khalil sent me i caught a glimpse of the apocalyptic stage we have all felt in yours and mikes face

Comment

• Originally posted by oxer View Post
                                expire; come at me in random thread bro.

am i being detained!?
                                Originally posted by projectmaxspeed
                                well i want to be different i could go for some vette saw blades

That destructo-ray is a played out gag, in the cape
                                and the pants suit lookin' like a straight out...Dag.

Comment

Working...
                                X