No announcement yet.

Aussie wheel tech/discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone ever had issues getting a wheel centre back into its lip/barrel.
    I've split and rebuild close to 20 sets of wheels and never had this issue...
    They are front mounted 3 piece. I've given the mounting points a tidy up and I'm putting the centre in the same lip and barrel it came from in the exact same position...
    even tried some persuasion with a rubber mallet with no results.
    what worries me is I haven't even painted the centres yet... I don't want to go hitting them with stuff once painted
    Sarcasm is easily calculated on vortex dude. Take 4 parts GLI lip and divide by BBS RS. If you are left with a remainder, subtract it from omgmoarlow. Profit.

Comment

• I had trouble with my ACS, but that was after powder(which looked shit) and then paint, so they were thickened up a bit. Pre-paint seems odd.....were they hard to separate?

I just got the ACS as close as I could and just did them up as per usual and let the tightening of the bolts bring them together.....but that probably doesn't help much as that's the obvious solution. I can't remember if I sanded the CB of the lips and barrels a bit to try and take a mm or 2 off....I think I did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beware View Post
        I had trouble with my ACS, but that was after powder(which looked shit) and then paint, so they were thickened up a bit. Pre-paint seems odd.....were they hard to separate?

I just got the ACS as close as I could and just did them up as per usual and let the tightening of the bolts bring them together.....but that probably doesn't help much as that's the obvious solution. I can't remember if I sanded the CB of the lips and barrels a bit to try and take a mm or 2 off....I think I did.
        I had to give them a whack when seperating, like you would say a BBS RS.
        yeah tried that but bolts not long enough. was thinking about getting 4 or 5 longer bolts and doing as you said. that way would be able to make sure it was even load.
        did hit in the inside face CB with a nylon brush on the drill, but might give everything a light touch of sand paper, that was my next move.

Will be making sure that spot on the centres on the centres is taped off when painting/powdercoating for sure.

Were the ACS hard to separate?
        Sarcasm is easily calculated on vortex dude. Take 4 parts GLI lip and divide by BBS RS. If you are left with a remainder, subtract it from omgmoarlow. Profit.

Comment

• The ACS came in pieces and I never did a proper test assembly before having them painted. 4 or 5 longer bolts to get the spread even when tightening and a bit of sanding should solve the issue.

Comment

• yeah hopefully!!
            will give them a sand first and see what happens

Comment

• Originally posted by dylan8 View Post
              anyone ever had issues getting a wheel centre back into its lip/barrel.
              I've split and rebuild close to 20 sets of wheels and never had this issue...
              They are front mounted 3 piece. I've given the mounting points a tidy up and I'm putting the centre in the same lip and barrel it came from in the exact same position...
              even tried some persuasion with a rubber mallet with no results.
              what worries me is I haven't even painted the centres yet... I don't want to go hitting them with stuff once painted
              My SSR meshies were almost impossible!
              had to grind of the edges of new paint on centers + a mm extra. and pull in with longer bolts.

First set of wheels ive cleaned and rebuilt, and that experience has turned me off doing it again.

seperating the centers took a big sledge aswell :l

Comment

• I'm done. Every set of wheels i find. Every set.
                Miss out on. By absolutely nothing. If i don't get this set tonight, that i missed out on by a phone call of 20 seconds im done with cars. Currently crying.

Comment

• Fucking Josh.
                  IG: @sebastienaudeon
                  1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                  *pats Sebs head*
                  there there.
                  keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

• so I havent had a car until friday so havent been able to get to the shops for new bolts.
                    found leaving the barrels/lips in the hot sun today was enough to make them expand enough to pull the centres in on 3 wheels.
                    still having issues on the 4th one. did notice the lips seem to be slightly smaller in diameter then the barrels, so going to get the tyres off and separate the lip from the barrel and attack it with some sand paper

Comment

• Long shot, but does anyone happen to know or know of someone who'd know.
                      The Wheel specs of Peter Brocks BMW M3 Simmons wheels either V5 or V4's.
                      It'd be appreciated if anyone had any info cheers.

Comment

• I'd be trying either the Brock Experience or maybe Bowdens Own. Neither of them have his car but they might be good leads.

Comment

• Originally posted by anth View Post
                          I'd be trying either the Brock Experience or maybe Bowdens Own. Neither of them have his car but they might be good leads.

http://www.bowdensown.com.au/why-we-...our-collection
                          Thanks Anth

Pure ass found it for sale on Gumtree for 300K.
                          Got through to the current owner and his emailed me some specs through, he doesn't know the rear lip or barrel sizes. But they are 17X8 -69.3 17X8 -43.6 Fronts have a 1 Inch Lip 7 Inch Barrel. The JPS M3 ran different offsets but Simmons V4's, Believe they are stepped from a 15" Center.

Since i cant run centerlocks the below image is what im trying to achieve on the E30 Build. Although i think ill only step up one inch rather then two as 17's are harder to pull off on a non M3. Opinions though would help as its my first set im building.

Comment

• Damn they look beautiful.
                            IG: @sebastienaudeon
                            1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                            *pats Sebs head*
                            there there.
                            keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

• They must have a seriously thick back pad to be that far into the negatives with only small lips. Are you sure that's right? They do look great though!

Comment

• Originally posted by Beware View Post
                                They must have a seriously thick back pad to be that far into the negatives with only small lips. Are you sure that's right? They do look great though!
                                Hmmmm to be honest the way he wrote it all up it could be positive. The JPS Group A didn't have as crazy of offsets as it was an updated model. His one adapted to the larger brembos so they needed clearance.

Comment

Working...
                                X