Aussie wheel tech/discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Beware View Post
    Also, with iclair, the price listed is for locals....so being outside the EU we don't pay their VAT(tax) of 19% and that brings it down to more like $140-$150 per lip for a 2in.
    interesting...
    I just assumed all over seas prices were expensive so never bothered looking
    Sarcasm is easily calculated on vortex dude. Take 4 parts GLI lip and divide by BBS RS. If you are left with a remainder, subtract it from omgmoarlow. Profit.

Comment

• So these are the wheels im looking at getting imported from the UK. They are for my mini, they measure 10" x 7". Yes that's a real wheel dimension!
      Usually, wide wheels for a mini are 10x6, so 10x7 should be pretty cool. They're made by a bloke called Carl and his business Force Racing

only difference being black centre and polished outer rim.

thoughts?

1963 850 - 1408cc, 45DCOE, 'S' 7.5" brakes, 6-point cage, blasted, Velo GPT-2's, rear beam

Comment

• Honestly thought that was an RC car wheel haha. They look cool, I'm a fan of polished lips, they'll look great. Will you still be able to see the detail of the center if you paint them black?

Comment

• Originally posted by dylan8 View Post
          interesting...
          I just assumed all over seas prices were expensive so never bothered looking
          It's been a while since I did an order so I can't remember if it's automatically taken off at checkout or you have to ask. But I always make sure I'm not paying their taxes as I'm not in the EU. Kind of like duty free wheel part shopping. Especially if spending near $1000, you'll get hit with duty here too, stuff paying their tax and ours!

Originally posted by MkI View Post
          So these are the wheels im looking at getting imported from the UK. They are for my mini, they measure 10" x 7". Yes that's a real wheel dimension!
          Usually, wide wheels for a mini are 10x6, so 10x7 should be pretty cool. They're made by a bloke called Carl and his business Force Racing

only difference being black centre and polished outer rim.

thoughts?

They look cool! I like them in that combo as they are(what's the car colour?)....I've looked into Force Racing before, they do some cool little wheels in any pattern. Just a pity our dollar is rooted to the GBP now. I've got a single 10x7.5 -7 SSR MK1 which is a wide, deep dish little 10in, I was going to get a little stand made and some glass cut and make a side table for my mancave.

Comment

• Originally posted by anth View Post
            Honestly thought that was an RC car wheel haha. They look cool, I'm a fan of polished lips, they'll look great. Will you still be able to see the detail of the center if you paint them black?
            Haha yeah they're small!
            I'm also worried the detail wont be seen. I was tempted by a bronzey gold or even the silver so the mesh design is visible. But i also want to plastidip the outer rim black for a full black-out wheel. I used to rebuild simmons so im happy to pull them apart and change colours and stuff later, so i went for a safe colour choice now.

If its shit i start again!

Originally posted by Beware View Post
            It's been a while since I did an order so I can't remember if it's automatically taken off at checkout or you have to ask. But I always make sure I'm not paying their taxes as I'm not in the EU. Kind of like duty free wheel part shopping. Especially if spending near $1000, you'll get hit with duty here too, stuff paying their tax and ours!

They look cool! I like them in that combo as they are(what's the car colour?)....I've looked into Force Racing before, they do some cool little wheels in any pattern. Just a pity our dollar is rooted to the GBP now. I've got a single 10x7.5 -7 SSR MK1 which is a wide, deep dish little 10in, I was going to get a little stand made and some glass cut and make a side table for my mancave.
            The cars going to be red with black roof and black flares. I have red calipers for the front discs so should be able to be seen behind an all-black wheel. Might be wanky, might work...
            i like the traditional polished outer, so if i plastidip the outer and like it i can order another outer from Force Racing in a satin black, but if it doesnt work then i think polished lip is always a classic winner. That colouring above works well, but the centre is so small that it would be a little ball of silver when moving amongst black outer and black tyre and black flare

IF you dont want that SSR please let me know, i would happily give it a warm home

As for your answer to the other blokes tax question i'll post up my calcs for importing my wheels to show the difference. Anything over $1k gets GST and duty.

1963 850 - 1408cc, 45DCOE, 'S' 7.5" brakes, 6-point cage, blasted, Velo GPT-2's, rear beam

Comment

• Heres my post on a mini site talking about importing whrrls. At the moment the pound is worth double the Aussie dollar

I'm looking at buying wheels at 685 british pounds. the shipping is 128 pounds
              All up thats 813GBP or $1622 AUS

If i split the wheels into two pairs, it's 342GBP + shipping, which *if* still 128GBP means i'd be paying 470GBP, or $937.91AUD each package. So all up would cost me $1875.82 AUD

In reading up on the tax the Government can impose, they apply 10% GST , but *CAN* also apply a duty tax of between 0 and 10%.

So they charge GST but if im not charged Duty, then it'll cost me $1784.20

Or they charge GST but only 5% duty (the amount they suggest as the usual), then it will cost me $1865.30

Or they charge GST and the full 10% duty, then it will cost me $1946.40

seriously, a bit of a headache!

I'm going to email my supplier to see if they will
              a) split the package
              b) whether the shipping is still the same for one package and two lighter/smaller packages

Comment

• I'll let you know if I don't bother with the SSR wheel, I'll have to double check that offset, but it's a deep dish little thing. That's what I bought it as but have never measured the actual offset. I've also got a 19x15 -37 SSR Formula Mesh off a Silhouette race car that was going to be a (semi)matching wheel coffee table. See if I can be bothered with the tidy ups before making the tables.

Just be careful with split packages as they'll still charge as if it's one delivery. Unless you split them 2 or 3 or even 4 weeks apart. I've bought a few consecutive sets from Japan before and always have them sent 3 weeks apart so they don't turn up at once and I'm charged as a total, even though they're separate sets, they'll still charge.

I recently bought some wheels from the US at $1180, didn't get charged a cent extra, so if it's just over $1k they obviously don't bother.

Comment

I'll let you know if I don't bother with the SSR wheel, I'll have to double check that offset, but it's a deep dish little thing. That's what I bought it as but have never measured the actual offset. I've also got a 19x15 -37 SSR Formula Mesh off a Silhouette race car that was going to be a (semi)matching wheel coffee table. See if I can be bothered with the tidy ups before making the tables.

Just be careful with split packages as they'll still charge as if it's one delivery. Unless you split them 2 or 3 or even 4 weeks apart. I've bought a few consecutive sets from Japan before and always have them sent 3 weeks apart so they don't turn up at once and I'm charged as a total, even though they're separate sets, they'll still charge.

I recently bought some wheels from the US at $1180, didn't get charged a cent extra, so if it's just over $1k they obviously don't bother.
                  Thanks mate. Can you post a pic of the SSRs? That 19x15 sounds pretty epic! By silhouette do you mean those japanese racers in the..80s?

Yeah carl said it can be one transaction but he will send the second pair a week later. He has shipped to australia before so im guessing thats how he has done it before. Im not sure if i should insist on two separate transactions so paper-wise and bank statement wise its completely separate.

The wheels come in at a smidge over $1620 including two lots of freight. So i doubt they'd miss the opportunity to make a few hundred through tax

Comment

• Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
                    Oooooft,

I want to do copper slant lip, 16" to 18" with hidden hardware for BBS RS.
                    Make it happen Craig?
                    What size lip?
                    For all your motorsport wheel needs.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by foffa View Post
                      it'd be copper plating lukey. I was quoted $800 minimum for LM centres copper plated. I painted them instead haha.
                      Originally posted by Lukey View Post
                      would the copper be as strong as old materials used to make lips?
                      Would be using copper for lips. Have to be careful how deep the lip will be. If going to deep the copper will work harden meaning it needs to be annealed (softened). Definately not a daily street wheel. The copper will be what is called half hard and will get a bit harder from spinning.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by MkI View Post
                        Thanks mate. Can you post a pic of the SSRs? That 19x15 sounds pretty epic! By silhouette do you mean those japanese racers in the..80s?

Yeah carl said it can be one transaction but he will send the second pair a week later. He has shipped to australia before so im guessing thats how he has done it before. Im not sure if i should insist on two separate transactions so paper-wise and bank statement wise its completely separate.

The wheels come in at a smidge over $1620 including two lots of freight. So i doubt they'd miss the opportunity to make a few hundred through tax
                        8in dish But I have just printed up a for sale sign(more EOI, but we'll see if anyone bites). All Jap Day tomorrow and I figure I may as well stick it in the back of the wagon and see if anyone is keen. It'll be a while before I get to it and it needs a full refurb. If it doesn't sell it'll go back on my stand and wait it's turn. Yeah, 80's Japanese racers, probably off the back of a Skyline. I just did a quick mask and satin black spray on it.....looks more presentable than flakey red.....it would have been gold originally, so it needs blasting and repainting anyway.

I'd ask for more than a week and 2 transactions, but that's just me....better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

Speaking of which, Craig, how much do you charge for barrels, I might be needing anything from 4in, 4.5in or 5in(most likely 4.5in or 2x 4in and 2x 4.5in)? Again, I'll know more once I do a mock up.
                          Any price ideas on the above Craig?

Comment

• What diameter?

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Craig Winters View Post
                              What size lip?
                              Probably looking at two inch and two and a half inch slants...
                              IG: @sebastienaudeon
                              1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                              *pats Sebs head*
                              there there.
                              keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craig Winters View Post
                                What diameter?
                                Of course that might help.....17in Autostrada Modena's. I think you've done a few before and have the centre bore measurement on file.

Comment

Working...
                                X