Aussie wheel tech/discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Beware View Post
    ^^^Dylan will surely sell you a set you can rebuild at a reasonable price. I'm even more gobsmacked that Import Monster would charge $600 buyers fees/shipping on a pair of $400 wheels!!!!
    I think part of the issue was they had a set commission of something like $350, rather than a percentage of sale. So I reckon if you bought 4 wheels, the commission might be the same.

Comment

• dylan8, I think your inbox might be full mate. I've sent you a couple of PM's

Comment

• Beware (or anyone else for that matter), is there a reason why you choose to ship lips/barrels in rather than go local?

I spoke with Whitehorse industries (here in Melb) yesterday and got a quote for $140 for a 2inch BBS lip undrilled and unpolished (I forgot to ask how much polishing costs, and drilling has to be done elsewhere), which I thought was pretty reasonable. Inclair.de have the same product (albeit drilled and polished) for $180 AUD (plus whatever shipping might be, which seams to be around $35-40).

Comment

• Whitehorse charge $30 I think for polishing so it takes them up to $170, and then drilling 30+ holes(wheel size/brand depending) on each lip, if x4 would be quite tedious and I'm not sure who else would do it for you.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to support local, and will do with my next custom build(need 4 barrels pretty soon), but for off the shelf stuff you can't beat pre-drilled. And if you order 4 lips then freight doesn't work out too bad on the total price, which for me I'm still paying freight from Whitehorse so I factor that in too.

Comment

• Also, with iclair, the price listed is for locals....so being outside the EU we don't pay their VAT(tax) of 19% and that brings it down to more like $140-$150 per lip for a 2in.

Comment

• yeah apparently there is a place nearby Whitehorse industries (I think called eastern wheel repair) that do the drilling.

Good point regarding VAT. When I'm ready to purchase, I'll look closely at iclair.

I might even try and organize a group buy in a few months through iclair once I sort out my wheel build.

Comment

• I'm happy to do the drilling myself on 4 barrels.....4 barrels and 4 lips would push me beyond my limits. It'll be tedious and annoying, but I'd start with a small bit and then go to the right size using 2 brand new drill bits and a power drill(not battery) and it'd be bearable I reckon(probably over 2 days ). Even just go straight to the full size hole maybe.

Comment

• Oxer and I have drilled 4 barrels and 4 lips, it isn't difficult at all, piece of piss.

In saying that, I'd love to support Craig in my next wheel build. If I can do slant lips through him, I'm happy to pay. I might actually price them up in the next few months and build out my set of RS' I want for November.
                  IG: @sebastienaudeon
                  1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                  *pats Sebs head*
                  there there.
                  keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

• Yeah I'll only be doing two lips so drilling and polishing myself is probably worthwhile. I might also enquire about slant lips. But I reckon having slants just on the rear might look a little whack.
                    What are peoples thoughts on clear coating the lip vs polishing the bare metal (constantly)?
                    Last edited by datzed; 06-03-2015, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
                      Oxer and I have drilled 4 barrels and 4 lips, it isn't difficult at all, piece of piss.
                      Piece of piss yes, difficult no....tedious and annoying, most definitely. With 2 people, not so much.....but the whole process of wheel building can get tedious(bolt tightening etc), but it's rewarding in the end when you've done it all yourself and the final product is amazing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Beware View Post
                        Piece of piss yes, difficult no....tedious and annoying, most definitely. With 2 people, not so much.....but the whole process of wheel building can get tedious(bolt tightening etc), but it's rewarding in the end when you've done it all yourself and the final product is amazing!
                        Yeah, it is definitely a tedious process, but it's just another part of the process. I miss the feeling of building wheels that's for sure.

I want to 24k plate the RS' centres.
                        1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                        there there.

Comment

• Slightly OT to whats being discussed, anyone know where to get wobble bolts?
                          Ebay bolts look like cheap Chinese stuff.
                          Last edited by datzed; 06-03-2015, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• I tend to use Google to find this stuff out.

1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                            there there.

Comment

• Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
                              I tend to use Google to find this stuff out.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Wobble/ES2130074/
                              lol!
                              I found those guys but those bolts look pretty much exactly like the cheap ebay stuff on offer. I was going to try 'Coventry Fasteners' or someone like that but thought there might be a preferred product among the guys here.

Comment

• I'd trust ECS to use good quality products
                                1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                                there there.

Comment

Working...
                                X