the emergence of a vr4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the emergence of a vr4

hey stanceworks! i'm PJ Prendergast, i'm 18 and i'm a freshman at the university of new haven. i grew up as a nascar and classic car kid via my dad. he's been into cars for 30 + years now, and so am i. when i was 15 my dad told me to start looking for a project car, and at the time my dream car was an STI, but even wrecked they were around $10k (wasn't gonna happen). so my dad introduced me to the 3000gt vr4, it was awd and turbo'd like the sti, but a v6 TT awd plus more sex appeal and i fell in love. i began researching and that's when i really got into jap cars, drifting (which i plan on doing next summer: currently looking for either an fc rx7 or an mkiii supra). last fall i also bought an '88 325 e30 for $260. i was going to drift that but its in such good condition after putting under $1k into it that i'm keeping it as a clean DD. but back to the 3kgt:
    i came home to a surprise shipped from california: a 1993 vr4 that my dad bought me on ebay through a lien sale. we were originally going to just put some new wheels and tires on it and paint it up, but as we got deeper into the car, it really needed almost everything; almost blown motor/tranny, and mis matched wheels weren't helping either. so we pulled the motor/tranny, entire rear end, and had the car basically to a shell and the front seats. we threw it together to have the motor melt down due to sand in a part of the valve cover we didn't fully clean i suppose (sooooo stupid).
    well we rebuilt it again, and now we have a clean vr4. as of now it has an hks exhaust (soon to be replaced by a custom single shot), 3sx down pipes, hks bov, greddy turbo timer and boost controller (and some replica/stock SL wheels... my dad really wanted the car on the ground at the time, and he paid for them so i can't complain too much haha) and some other little things here and there. i know, at the moment it's only on megan 2.5'' lowering springs and new stock struts, but over this coming winter i'm going to build some coilovers for it with help from ollie. i met through shift 518 and in person with his e36 at a drift event at lebanon valley. fell in love with the stance of his car, and now i want to stance out my vr4. i figure it'll be something different than what other people are doing. my current goal/dream is to make it worthy of a feature on here or anywhere for that matter. i need more money and time, but someday i think i can get it on here here's where she's at now
    (sorry if the pics get huge. i hope the forum can resize them if they do)

got the motor out!

me porting and polishing the heads

after a bagillion hours of body work

me doing some painting (my dad most of the hard stuff, since this was my first official paint job)

yayyy red!

my favorite teaser pic

my dad! what a guy

polishing the intake took agessss

my radio! (spent most of the money i made working at a toyota dealership for the summer)

wayyy after. good pic of the engine bay all together

4x4 status before springs

more 4x4 status

more in the next post

1993 1993 3000gt VR4
    1988 BMW 325 (for sale, PM me for details!)
    1991 s13 hatch

http://breatheslowbreatheslow.tumblr.com/

an example of our work

goon status

our home made hot start button. runs the fuel pump with the key in the on position (fuel was boiling over in the fuel rail after sitting for a while. my dad's super genius solution)

lol i wish it was this low

i need more low for this one lol

and the most recent

thanks for looking! any 17 inch wheel recommendations? when i get the money after the coilevers i'm gonna use my current tires and stretch them over some nice looking AFFORDABLE wheels

1993 1993 3000gt VR4
    1991 s13 hatch

Comment

Wow. Amazing work, looks awesome and its gotta feel great having done all that work yourself(well you and your father, but you get my point)!

And welcome!

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

admittedly I was hoping this would be a Galant vr-4 when I clicked but after seeing everything I was not let down. The car looks good, nice father son project, glad to see this still happens. I think you may want to reconsider running 17's on it though, I know it's to save some money on tires but I think you'd be a lot happier with 18's imo

Comment

This needs wayyyy more low.

Comment

father son project warmed my heart haha
            Originally posted by cobrawannabe
            More lotion.

My build thread

Instagram: Franswishaaa

Comment

awwwww haha thanks. and yes it will get "more low" over my winter break hopefully. i'm gonna make the coilovers for it so i can get the perfect height and performance, plus it'd be cheaper than dropping $1k into some megans, because right now it kinda handles like dick with these springs. the ride overall is smooth, but the rebound sucks now haha (or what i believe to be the rebound). i'd love to go for 18's, but not right now. eventually i'd love the ccw classics, i know they're whored around a lot, but i think they'ed look good in this car, plus again, how many vr4's have you seen on here :p

1993 1993 3000gt VR4
              1991 s13 hatch

Comment

Damn..that's a lot of work.

Welcome to StanceWorks

Main Page - Facebook - Flickr - Instagram - Twitter
                Originally posted by Oxer
                You know who Jason is? Anyone here read the Bible or know most of the stories etc? Who's the guy that stands at the gate and decides if you get into heaven or not? That's Jason. He processes everyone in the intro threads and welcomes them.
                Originally posted by Average_Jerk
                Also you relinquish all of your rights by posting in RT. You can be banned at any time for no reason at all.

Comment

I have always had a soft spot for these.

Moar lows, 17x9.5 Work Meisters. /thread
                  Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion
                  Fuck Rotas, I'd rather my wheels not break apart when I drive over a watermelon seed.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonklee View Post
                    Damn..that's a lot of work.

Welcome to StanceWorks
                    about a year and a half restoration all together! haha thanks

Originally posted by Lt. Dangle View Post
                    I have always had a soft spot for these.

Moar lows, 17x9.5 Work Meisters. /thread
                    i wish i could afford them haha they'd look great! what if i dumped it on some white diamond racing steelies? every 3000gt purist on 3si would **** me haha "damn kids"

1993 1993 3000gt VR4
                    1991 s13 hatch

Comment

Originally posted by PJ Prendergast View Post
                      about a year and a half restoration all together! haha thanks

i wish i could afford them haha they'd look great! what if i dumped it on some white diamond racing steelies? every 3000gt purist on 3si would **** me haha "damn kids"
                      Oh lord, I **** diamond racing wheels, I call them wagon wheels, cause IMO they belong on a wagon, or trailer.

Regardless, I would say fake it til you make it with some varrstoen reps or something.

I almost bought a fiji blue/black leather 92 VR4 with 19t's, cams, 3" dp's, full 3" single shot, teins w/edfc, big sidemounts, aem, transfer case cage, etc... wish i would have
                      Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion
                      Fuck Rotas, I'd rather my wheels not break apart when I drive over a watermelon seed.

Comment

I dont think I have ever seen one of these actually stanced, props for the work done so far tho paint looks great
                        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Dangle View Post
                          Oh lord, I **** diamond racing wheels, I call them wagon wheels, cause IMO they belong on a wagon, or trailer.

Regardless, I would say fake it til you make it with some varrstoen reps or something.

I almost bought a fiji blue/black leather 92 VR4 with 19t's, cams, 3" dp's, full 3" single shot, teins w/edfc, big sidemounts, aem, transfer case cage, etc... wish i would have
                          true, i think it looks good on some cars though, not so sure about mine anyways. plus they'd weigh like 50lbs per 17in wheel haha i still plan on making those coilevers this winter as a start though

1993 1993 3000gt VR4
                          1991 s13 hatch

Comment

Got to try on my dream wheels today! 18x10.5 +12 (i forget the tire size). they didn't clear my front brakes but they look really hawt in the rear. tons of poke... some legit coilovers and camber will make me a happy broke college student. thanks to ollie for the help! i appreciate it tons and i'll need more since my dad definitely doesn't want to see this happen to a vr4 with all the other 3/s purists haha and im waiting for some of his better pics and a photochop for shits and giggles.

sorry some of these are mad blurry because it was getting dark out + no tripod. the flash ruined the other pics haha

DSC_5657

DSC_5656

DSC_5662

DSC_5651

DSC_5650

DSC_5655

1993 1993 3000gt VR4
                            1991 s13 hatch

Comment

Wow, someone is stealing wheels haha

They look good man! (with a bit more low)

Comment

Working...
                              X