First shot at making a video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First shot at making a video

Used a Canon T4i, 50mm 1.8 prime, 55-250mm, and a crappy tripod. It was edited on Sony Vegas pro 12.

What do you think?

It's a work in progress^
    Instagram: @jared_hin

The Snaab: Saab 9-5 Build Thread
    Battle Stanced '67 Mercury Cougar

Very nicely done, the images/scenes were nicely stitched, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryo View Post
      Very nicely done, the images/scenes were nicely stitched, I thoroughly enjoyed it!
      Thank you!

It's a work in progress^

Comment

I'm a fan
        My Accord Build

Instagram: @puzzlemaster94

Comment

It's way better than my first video

Keep at it, it's fun.
          MB w108
          Vimeo

Comment

if I may ad some CC to help you out!
            -Try using a better font next time, and maybe with shading/ colors. it just look a little too windows movie maker.
            -add slowmo for extra scene points
            -work on smoother panning
            -try follow focusing

just some info to help you out a bit! but on anyones first video one shouldn't expect perfect work haha, mine was pretty rough too.
            Keep at it, and good luck!
            604Wheels
            BMW E36 M3 4Door 5Speed
            Instagram: Tommy604604

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy604604 View Post
              if I may ad some CC to help you out!
              -Try using a better font next time, and maybe with shading/ colors. it just look a little too windows movie maker.
              -add slowmo for extra scene points
              -work on smoother panning
              -try follow focusing

just some info to help you out a bit! but on anyones first video one shouldn't expect perfect work haha, mine was pretty rough too.
              Keep at it, and good luck!
              Thank you for the advice! I'm ballin on a budget here so I work with what I can afford. haha I certainly need a new tripod, and a crane of some sort. I built this ghetto slider over the weekend:

Untitled by threeliterturbo, on Flickr

It works decently for costing $10. Still need to work on it a bit more though, needs to be a bit smoother. (Obviously. lol)
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Also just ordered a shotgun mic. It's an SG108 that was only like $27. Again, trying to ball on a budget here (lol), but the reviews and audio samples I heard of it seemed good. (Better than the internal mic for sure)

It's a work in progress^

Comment

Nice, this looks really good so far. I am currently working on my first vid too so definitely gonna be taking some inspiration from this. The only suggestion I have as a viewer is to make sure you shoot all angles of the car equally well. I kept trying to pause the vid at the one or two frames that really showed the front, cause otherwise they are mostly obscured. Nice Saab too tho!

Comment

Originally posted by perry View Post
                  Nice, this looks really good so far. I am currently working on my first vid too so definitely gonna be taking some inspiration from this. The only suggestion I have as a viewer is to make sure you shoot all angles of the car equally well. I kept trying to pause the vid at the one or two frames that really showed the front, cause otherwise they are mostly obscured. Nice Saab too tho!
                  Thanks man! I'm doing another video next week. Going to make a video of my little "crew" I have it all planned out in my head, now if I can only get it on the screen. haha

I have a question about rendering. My video doesn't look like 1080p quality to me, whereas videos that I have straight out of the camera do. Also I noticed that there is a lot of "dragging" or blurring with the motion of the camera. It's present straight from the camera, but even more present after rendering. What can be done to reduce/eliminate this? I use a Canon T4i.

It's a work in progress^

Comment

GJ,
                    My first post, I like it.

Comment

Just finished up another one.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76NuQZ8ooMo"]Our Crew - YouTube[/ame]

It's a work in progress^

Comment

My two cents:

In your first video the transition between the pan to the license plate and the pan downwards to the front of the car - both shots you are moving and come to a stop. Personally, I would use a slower movement and keep it continuous and fade from one shot to the next - IMO it flows better

2nd video was decent too - there are things within your shooting that you'll learn over time to get rid of so i dont want to be overly critical. The one thing i will say is i liked the story as i see it - friends meeting up and chilling in the day right through to the night. You kinda upset that by going from night shots to day shots towards the end - it broke the story for me if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Cezeli View Post
                          My two cents:

In your first video the transition between the pan to the license plate and the pan downwards to the front of the car - both shots you are moving and come to a stop. Personally, I would use a slower movement and keep it continuous and fade from one shot to the next - IMO it flows better

2nd video was decent too - there are things within your shooting that you'll learn over time to get rid of so i dont want to be overly critical. The one thing i will say is i liked the story as i see it - friends meeting up and chilling in the day right through to the night. You kinda upset that by going from night shots to day shots towards the end - it broke the story for me if that makes sense.
                          Thank you for pointing that out about the second video! That's exactly what I didn't like about it, and I was curious if anyone else would catch that break in the story. I really want to try to tell stories through videos.

Also, Here's a teaser I finished the other day for my friends Audi:

It's a work in progress^

Comment

No sweat

Liked the teaser btw - you can see you are already improving in your editing with transitions being more fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by Cezeli View Post
                              Liked the teaser btw - you can see you are already improving in your editing with transitions being more fluid.
                              Agreed.

A couple of thoughts on the teaser.

1. Actual camera movement almost always looks more interesting than a pan.
                              2. Be patient with your subject and slow your pans down. Compare the rate of camera movement in the shot at 0:02 versus the pan that follows it.
                              3. I realize the shots for this video were composed over the course of the day, and it shows in the differing lighting conditions across the video. As Cezeli mentioned above, consider using the changing lighting conditions to give a temporal dynamic to your composition, rather than putting them together seemingly at random.
                              4. The shots where the car is exhibiting some dynamism through its air suspension are very successful. I realize this is a teaser video, but I think the end product will be more successful if you include more dynamic moments, such as rolling shots of the car.
                              5. The transition from static shots to dynamic is likewise very successful. Here you've set up a contrast or a "reveal" which surprises the viewer. This is immensely more interesting than had you told the whole story of the car at the opening of the video.
                              6. Consider a small amount of color grading. The warmer tones of some of the shots (probably favorable lighting conditions) look immensely more professional than the ones where the color tone is cooler and the exposure more blown-out. I'm thinking particularly of the transition between the shot at 0:05 and the one at 0:07. 0:30 could use some love too.
                              7. Either give the car a little headroom, or crop tight to interesting elements. Shots like 0:23 where the roof is just barely touching the outer frame of the video read like poor composition rather than an interesting shot.

Your editing is really improving, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next!

Comment

Working...
                              X