Getting into the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting into the game

For a while now I've been watching and looking at all the great videos and photos that come out of this website and it got me thinking: How do you get started making these car videos and taking pictures of people's cars? I'm 16 and really into film and photo and was just wondering how it all works. Thanks!

Originally posted by Egayz View Post
    For a while now I've been watching and looking at all the great videos and photos that come out of this website and it got me thinking: How do you get started making these car videos and taking pictures of people's cars? I'm 16 and really into film and photo and was just wondering how it all works. Thanks!
    Buy a camera -> Learn to use camera -> shoot friends cars -> shoot local meets -> shoot actual shows -> practice -> practice -> practice -> practice -> practice -> practice -> practice -> practice -> practice -> and most importantly, have fun while doing it.
    1997 E36 M3 (Cosmos/Modena)
    Flickr
    My Thread
    LoweredLifestyle

Comment

Originally posted by extrem344 View Post
      Buy a camera -> Learn to use camera -> shoot friends cars -> shoot local meets -> shoot actual shows -> practice -> practice -> practice -> practice -> practice -> practice -> practice -> practice -> practice -> and most importantly, have fun while doing it.
      Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Look through the showroom on here, pay attention to the little details. Composition of the photo, how things are framed in the photo, how the lighting is set, things in the background, ect ect.
      BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
      Originally posted by Ollie
      We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

I've been doing this for almost 4 years now. I had no idea what I was doing when I started, now I am where I am. All I can tell you is practice. I've put just over 300k shots through my camera, every step of the way learning more and more.
        - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

It will come to you, do not give up if your pictures aren't turning out as you want. Believe me, I have thought about it. Search forums, and not only car forums, check out thephotoforum.com, do other things besides cars because that can only broaden your spectrum.
          1997 E36 M3 (Cosmos/Modena)
          Flickr
          My Thread
          LoweredLifestyle

Comment

One thing to remember is there never really is a 'cheap route' when it comes to photography. If you skimp on anything it will be easy to tell in the final product.

I just shoot my friends cars and have a good time doing it. Sometimes my pictures get around, most the time they don't. But to me it doesn't matter because I enjoy what I do. And the more you enjoy it; the better you get.

instagram: @elliotjlong

Comment

Yep, all good advice. The way I started was finding people's photos I liked, figuring out why I liked them and then I tried to re-create it with my own equipment. Then I merged it into my own style. I also do a lot of reading.

There's always things to learn, and new tricks to pick up. It's a never ending process.

The awesome thing is that photography is a life-long hobby, the skills you learn today will be useful to you for the rest of your life.
              Jason
              flickr
              build thread

Comment

Composition is key in my book.

Comment

Working...
                X