Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for a good DSLR ... Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or you can do what i did
    buy the best point and shoot you can.
    the best point and shoots nowadays are getting hte same pictures a rebel will. I started out with an S2is wayyyy back in the day.
    Best part, when you buy a dslr, you still have a point and shoot chilling!
    Disclaimer:
    I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

and USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

Comment

Originally posted by GermanlookT3 View Post
      Sounds like a good camera. Its a Nikon correct?
      Yeah. Nikon, Canon, Sony whatever I'd suggest getting something inexpensive and entry and experimenting from there. The d40 even has an info button that tells you what all of the different settings and terms mean, I found that helpful when I was starting.

Originally posted by GermanlookT3 View Post
      Are you using one ?
      I used one for a year and a half or so. Just switched over to a d200 this summer. But I wouldn't have felt comfortable with a d200 at first.

Originally posted by yokotas13 View Post
      stay away from the small ass cameras (rebels, DXX whatever)
      go buy a 30/40/50d from canon, or a leter number D from nikon.

first, i **** when people say, buy the cheapest thing out there. Why? wasting money. image quality sucks something fierce, and you will do nothing but loose money on it from teh day you get it in a much faster rate than a newer camera.
      second, technology in a year span is huge within cameras. you have a budget, use it. dont cheap out!

I fully support buying the best camera you possibly can to start with as a future investment. Yeah, you may loose interest. But then in 3 or r4 years, you will have a camera that is 3 or 4 years old, not 5 or 6.

i mean im still using my 1dmk3, and it came out in what, early 2007? there have been 18 different rebel cameras since then.
      Completely disagree.

How much is a 1dmk3 these days? 2 grand or so? Why drop 2grand give or take on a hobby you aren't sure if you're interested in. And the saying just spend as much as you can I don't agree with either. If you have 1grand you'll likely end up with what a 40d or d90? In my opinion I'd rather start small (d40 or rebel) and see if I'm interested. Then upgrade to a d300/5d/1d whatever when I know what it is I specifically want. What lenses from what brands, what ergonomics of what brand, iso control, video capability, full frame or crop body? If you go out and spend 2 grand right off of the bat you'll have no idea what you want.

And in a lot of circumstances, especially those for a complete beginner, you really won't notice the image quality between a low end and a mid range camera.

Comment

id rather buy a canon g10 than a d40. and you get the same pictures.
        Disclaimer:
        I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post
          Yeah. Nikon, Canon, Sony whatever I'd suggest getting something inexpensive and entry and experimenting from there. The d40 even has an info button that tells you what all of the different settings and terms mean, I found that helpful when I was starting.

I used one for a year and a half or so. Just switched over to a d200 this summer. But I wouldn't have felt comfortable with a d200 at first.

Completely disagree.

How much is a 1dmk3 these days? 2 grand or so? Why drop 2grand give or take on a hobby you aren't sure if you're interested in. And the saying just spend as much as you can I don't agree with either. If you have 1grand you'll likely end up with what a 40d or d90? In my opinion I'd rather start small (d40 or rebel) and see if I'm interested. Then upgrade to a d300/5d/1d whatever when I know what it is I specifically want. What lenses from what brands, what ergonomics of what brand, iso control, video capability, full frame or crop body? If you go out and spend 2 grand right off of the bat you'll have no idea what you want.

And in a lot of circumstances, especially those for a complete beginner, you really won't notice the image quality between a low end and a mid range camera.
          did i say to drop 2 grand?
          i do this as a profession, thats why i did.

He said he had an 800 budget, i suggested to use it. thats all

and a copmlete beginner wont, but 6 months down the line he will. and instead of having to upgrade...wow, he already did 6 months back
          Disclaimer:

Comment

Fuck, post a pic of a n00b using an entry level DSLR and a pic from a higher end DSLR. Wont be able to tell a diffence, except maybe in the sheer size of the turd.jpg.

Now, post a pic from an experienced user with a entry level DSLR and a n00b with a 40d. We all know what would look better.

Agreeing with 87e30, don't get too hung up on the gear, the camera is the just the tool for the art, not the art itself. Use what fits your needs and you feel comfortable with.

Flickr

Comment

go hold the cameras, find out which are more comfortable to hold, and which has an interface you like more. then go from there.

www.effineuro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                Fuck, post a pic of a n00b using an entry level DSLR and a pic from a higher end DSLR. Wont be able to tell a diffence, except maybe in the sheer size of the turd.jpg.

Now, post a pic from an experienced user with a entry level DSLR and a n00b with a 40d. We all know what would look better.

Agreeing with 87e30, don't get too hung up on the gear, the camera is the just the tool for the art, not the art itself. Use what fits your needs and you feel comfortable with.
                i love when people say that. But in alot of cases the gear is critical. maybe not in teh first 3 or 4 months of photography, but there will be a point where you are held back by your gear.
                Disclaimer:

Comment

the truth. but for me it's the glass that's held me back. i don't think there's any reason not to start out with something on the lower end though. which really with 800 bucks, that's all you're going to get anyways. if you feel like your camera is holding you back, then upgrade to something else, and you have your starter camera you can take places without worrying about it too much ie. camping, vacation, etc.

www.effineuro.com

Comment

did i say to drop 2 grand?
                    i do this as a profession, thats why i did.

He said he had an 800 budget, i suggested to use it. thats all

and a copmlete beginner wont, but 6 months down the line he will. and instead of having to upgrade...wow, he already did 6 months back
                    Okay, so with 800 bucks what is he going to get? Maybe something 40d or d90 level if lucky. Or d3000 like he mentioned.

Now what is the benefit of those over spending less than half of that on a d40.

I agree at some point the gear holds you back, but until you know specifically what is holding you back you won't be able to buy it.

Comment

i love when people say that. But in alot of cases the gear is critical. maybe not in teh first 3 or 4 months of photography, but there will be a point where you are held back by your gear.
                      Maybe it's because you do this for a living and can't remember what it was like to be a beginner, but that is terrible advice. There is no reason for a beginner to buy an expensive body. Ever.

You can get great pictures out of a 2-3 year old camera body. I use an XSi and a 40D and both take outstanding pictures that are plenty large enough for everything you would likely need. If you want to spend money, spend it on the lenses, not the body. If you get into photography more seriously you'll replace bodies fairly often but you'll rarely ever replace your lenses.

I also agree with the suggestion to go to the store and check everything out in person. The size of the camera in your hands and it's layout should play a large role in your decision. Sure you can use any camera to take pictures, but you want one that is comfortable to hold and easy to navigate.

Additionally, I'd suggest choosing either Nikon or Canon just because they have a greater variety of lenses to choose from. Just don't let someone make you think that you need to invest a lot of money into this hobby to get anything out of it. Higher end bodies are great for professionals who will use the better ISO performance, but for someone new, there's absolutely no reason to have one unless you have the budget for it.
                      Jason
                      flickr
                      build thread

Comment

Ugh, you guys need to reread what i wrote

He said he has a budget of 800....i said use it.
                        I didnt say to go buy a 5dmk2, or a 1dmk3, or a 7d.
                        I just said to buy the best you can the first time. thats all
                        Disclaimer:

Comment

If hes commited to the idea, then yes get the best you can for 800. But that goes without saying.

Obviously gear can hold you back when you get to a point. But in ways you might not have thought originally, and possibly less than you think.

Like i said, and others have, try a few out. See what you like. And if you KNOW this will be a hobby of yours, then yes, get the nicest body you can for 800

Flickr

Comment

btw, 40d shots
                            i would get the 50d personally, but the 40 throws out some great images

1/100
                            640iso

who cares about the specs, during the day

Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
                            Aperture: f/2.8
                            ISO Speed: 800

iso is decent up to abotu 1600, anything more needs post, and i refuse to use post processing for the most part
                            Disclaimer:

Comment

first two are WAY underexposed. maybe you should have used your P&S??
                              they look exactly like what comes off a 5 year old rebel XT. without PP, everything looks exactly the same..

Canon, Fuji, Mamiya, Minolta + Pentax.

Comment

it was a 40d
                                Must be your monitor on teh underexposed thing though. All my monitors it looks right to me.

dunno ifyou haev seen the iso diff on a rebel nad a XXd body at higher iso, big diff.

the last one is soft, but whatever, its all for m.

Im still suggesting a 40d or 50d for the ol chap
                                Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                                X