Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tossing up between what lens i should get next.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tossing up between what lens i should get next.

im currently using a 7D and i mainly use
    canon 50mm f1.8
    sigma 18/125
    tamron 10/24

i mainly do car photography but i will be doing a wedding in august so i want some thing that will do both.

been looking at the
    sigma 50mm f1.4
    sigma 24/70

any other suggestions ??? wanna spend around 500-600ish? maybe a tad more.

hopefully i sell my 1uz that i have sitting in my garage and get either a canon 24/70 or 70-200 2.8
    Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2012, 08:30 AM.

should mention i want some thing really sharp, love my 50mm.

Comment

If its your first wedding; wedding hint - check out the venue beforehand and get a 'required shot' list from the B&G - get the group shots out of the way before everyone disperses at the reception! That's the worst part.

I'd suggest the 24/70 as well, as you already have a 50mm - 1.8 was enough for me to get some pretty good dancing shots at a very dark wedding a few months back. Head tog was using her 1.4 and we were getting very similar results.

Curse that balloon! But you see what I mean, right?

Originally posted by Jersh
      RT changes lives.

Comment

i took photos at my brothers wedding last year and i was pretty happy with the 1.8, half my photos came out better then the prof photographer there so thats why i though it might be better to go the 1.4 but every ones telling me the 24/70.
        *50mm f1.8 (i took at my brothers wedding)

would love to check out the venue etc before hand but unfortunately we are going to kuala lumpur in Malaysia to have the wedding so my sister inlaw kinda put me on the spot and pretty much said she was happy with the pics i took at my brothers wedding so im doing it at hers so she doesn't have to hire one over there.
        so yeah, trying to get as much practice in with friends/models as possible before hand.

any one know any thing/much diff between the sigma/canon 24/70 (obviously the canons going to be better) but will buying the sigma be a total waste of money?

Comment

Originally posted by mk3 View Post
          i took photos at my brothers wedding last year and i was pretty happy with the 1.8, half my photos came out better then the prof photographer there so thats why i though it might be better to go the 1.4 but every ones telling me the 24/70.

would love to check out the venue etc before hand but unfortunately we are going to kuala lumpur in Malaysia to have the wedding so my sister inlaw kinda put me on the spot and pretty much said she was happy with the pics i took at my brothers wedding so im doing it at hers so she doesn't have to hire one over there.
          so yeah, trying to get as much practice in with friends/models as possible before hand.

any one know any thing/much diff between the sigma/canon 24/70 (obviously the canons going to be better) but will buying the sigma be a total waste of money?
          The top photo confused my perspective for a second but I got it in the end! Thinking as you're going to malaysia I can't see you being strapped for light! 1.4 is a nice lens, but as you have something in that focal range that obviously works for you currently go get the 24/70 then get the 1.4 later on. - also the 24/70 is less intrusive if you're going to be taking candids!

I hear Sigma glass is pretty good but I've only ever bought Canon somehow.. see if there's a review on talkphotography.co.uk? They're pretty helpful over there.

EDIT: I do wanna say expose for the bride's dress to avoid blowing out the highlights - even if it means the groom is a little underexposed, you can brighten him up later! (:
          Last edited by ratmog; 01-25-2012, 09:49 AM.

Originally posted by Jersh
          RT changes lives.

Comment

Got my 85mm f/1.8 for like $380 on amazon. it's fantastic. shot a wedding with it and everyone loves bokeh (of course). Ultra sharp lens and good in low light, just no image stabilization so anything less than 1/30th of a second is a little iffy. Still though at the price, it's fantastic.

might be a tad similar to your 50mm but you also don't have to butt into the ceremony as much since it's got more range, and also the extra 35mm focal length makes the bokeh much more dramatic.

Comment

also— shoot in raw if at all possible. you will be much more relaxed knowing that most exposure issues can be corrected later, especially if you mess up at a crucial moment (blowing out the sky behind 'the kiss' definitely happened to me during a daytime wedding).

Comment

thanks guys, had a look at some comparisons to the sigma/canon 24/70 and every one seems to say that the sigma is a little less sharp at full zoom, think i will still go with it.

as for raw, those photos were jpg, but since have shot in nuthing but raw files

Comment

Working...
                X