Starting school soon and I will probably acquire much, much more

Comment

• 550D
        18-55 (kitlens)
        75-300 (kitlens)
        24-70 F2.8 Sigma
        50mm F1.8 II Canon

Comment

• I recently bought a Olympus E-PM1 with the stock flash and 14-42mm kit lens. Can anyone recommend a fun little lens to upgrade to? I've been contemplating getting an fd-4/3 adapter and using my old canon fd lenses, but i don't have anything amazing besides a 50mm, that i could see myself using.

I'll definently be buying the 15mm f/8, it looks incredible, 22grms, ha im just after something a little wider/sharper aswell.

thanks in advance,
          Billy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray. View Post
            I recently bought a Olympus E-PM1 with the stock flash and 14-42mm kit lens. Can anyone recommend a fun little lens to upgrade to? I've been contemplating getting an fd-4/3 adapter and using my old canon fd lenses, but i don't have anything amazing besides a 50mm, that i could see myself using.

I'll definently be buying the 15mm f/8, it looks incredible, 22grms, ha im just after something a little wider/sharper aswell.

thanks in advance,
            Billy
            I have an E-PL1 and have been looking for an additional lens, mainly to shoot in low light (bar bands, etc) Everyone seems to love the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7

A lens database for Native M4/3 and Adapted lenses.

Comment

• Been a long time viewer of S/W - finally decided to register on the forum and start posting up in this section since I recently started shooting again.

Gear so far :
              Canon 5dMk2
              Canon 50mm 1.4

thinking about either picking up a wide fast prime lens, or some strobes - still torn between the two.

Comment

• Originally posted by stagen View Post
                I have an E-PL1 and have been looking for an additional lens, mainly to shoot in low light (bar bands, etc) Everyone seems to love the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7

A lens database for Native M4/3 and Adapted lenses.
                I've been contemplating getting either the Panasonic 17mm, or something wider, like the Rokinon 8mm. I currently have the Rokinon 8mm for my Nikon, and it is a beautiful lens; great sharp photos, its wide, and the build of the lens is superb. Google it!!!!

If your not after a prime lens, I have heard the weather sealed 12-50mm is suppost to be alright; kinda pointless having a weather proof lens, and not a body though...

Originally posted by Nazvil86 View Post
                thinking about either picking up a wide fast prime lens, or some strobes - still torn between the two.
                PRIME!
                There is no point having strobes if you don't have some decent glass to take the photo with in the first place!

Comment

• yeahhh thats where im at right now. I can get a AB1600 , stand, and wireless trigger...which wouldn't be TOO much of a dent to the pocket- but as far as other primes go im not sure. I dont wanna dump over a grand on a lens yet. I think I want something wider but I was looking at the 85mm 1.8 or..something in the 20mm range. Anyone have input?

Comment

• Depends on what you're going for, the 50mm 1.4 you have now is a great lens, I love my 85mm 1.8 a ton but if you're looking to get more wide shots you'd do better with a 20mm 2.8 or higher aperture (of course the higher the aperture the higher the pricetag generally).

Advantage of the 85mm is the ability to shoot from a greater distance and still get that feeling like you're right there.
                    Example: shot around 30+/- foot away

A great set of primes IMO would include a 20 or 24mm, a 50 and an 85 which should cover most of your needs.
                    Fleet

'95 E36 Compact | m50tu | 3.45LSD | Autopilot V2, AirLift Performance Series (F), Air House 2 (R) - BUILD THREAD

'02 E39 540i Touring | Muffler Delete | Autopilot V2, AirLift Performance Series (F), RE5 (R) - BUILD THREAD

Comment

• shooting for since I was a junior in highschool now a freshman in college my gear is some stupid basic stuff.
                      canon 40D
                      YN462 Flash
                      Canon 70-200 F4L
                      Tokina 17mm f3.5 ATX-Pro

gets the jobs done kind of.

91 S13 Hatch daily.
                      92 S13 Coupe HKS SR22
                      2011 Scion xb
                      1998 Lexus GS400 SOLD
                      1993 Lexus LS400 SOLD
                      1993 Lexus SC400 SOLD
                      I made a build thread :|

Comment

• I am using Canon 350D/Xti. 8.0-megapixel CMOS sensor captures enough detail for photo-quality 16 x 22-inch prints. Includes Canon's EF-S 18-55mm, f3.5-5.6 zoom lens. DIGIC II Image Processor provides fast, accurate image processing; captures images at a rate of up to 3 frames per second. Fast start-up time--.2 seconds.

Comment

• if you're going to buy a prime lens, make it a good one; ie, don't skimp on quality. In most cases in life, you get what you pay for, and this is the instance for prime lenses.

Something with a low aperture (1.4/1.8) will allow great bokehh and detail in low lighted conditions, with out the use of additional lighting; If low light photography is your main shooting condition, i wouldn't go much higher than f/2.8.

If you can only afford one prime lens to start with, I recommend going for a wider-angled lens, because you can always crop in after you have take the photo; but you can't zoom out. you may find that you can always walk/get closer to your subject when shooting, but you can not always shoot from 30+ feet away.

I could not agree more with what Indiejack said, a 20/24mm, 50mm, 85mm and possibly a 105mm or 200mm (if you shoot long distances/landscapes, could possibly be the only lenses you would ever need.

read a bit more http://www.kenrockwell.com/ about lenses ect, and at http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/lenses or http://lenshero.com/lens-comparison for more info before you buy, but i think a 20mm would be your best bet!

- Billy

Comment

• Canon T3
                            Canon 15-88mm

Comment

• Canon T2i
                              28mm 2.8
                              50mm 1.8
                              70-210 Macro
                              (2) Vivitar 285hv Strobes
                              Cowboy Studios Trigger Kit
                              a few different polarizer filters and other filters
                              Canon Remote Trigger

Looking at adding the Sigma 17-70 to my stable before SoWo, seems it will be a good addition since I got rid of my kit lens when I gave my old camera to my sister.

-John

Follow Me On Instagram! @jvc8790 #jvcphotography

Comment

• Thanks @indiejack and .Ray
                                right now the 50 1.4 is great, i loved it on my 7d and love it even more on the mk2.

I am leaning more towards that wider 20mm area. but yeah Id like to get a wide prime in the 20s, keep my 50 1.4, and get a longer reach prime like that 85mm - i hear on the FF that lens is insane, friend of mine that shoots out in Florida just picked one up, and those shots looks insane- for the most part he does portrait work and man...thing is insanely sharp- so im assuming that'd be great for automotive needs as well. Also this last time I shot a drift event out here in Houston and my 50mm was not getting close enough....but Im rarely able to make it out to events like that either way so wide prime it is.

I just picked up a light wand last night to try it out, gonna be shooting an 1100hp Supra here in Austin and wanted to try my take on some light painting. Gonna try it on my car tonight and see what happens haha, Light Painting on a '12 Nissan Versa...lets see how this goes.

Again thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X