No announcement yet.

Lighting equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im using 2x nikon sb28s, 1 sunpak 544 handle mount, and 2x Norman DP320 monolights with a vagabond II and pocketwizards... gonna get a ab b800 in a month or two and ill be set.

do alienbees b800s and a vagabond.
    you wont regret it.
    good price, and solid.

Comment

Originally posted by mad325is View Post

Stephen, that is roughly the rounte i was going down but found myself constantly wishing i could use different kinds of light modifiers, and when i was using a diffuser, it just wasnt doing what i wanted it to... which is why i decided if i was going to do this, i should spend a few bucks a make life a little easier on myself... or atleast try to
      Yeah, diffuser dims the light to much with my setup, but i was happy with the results without one. i just like the portability and simplicity of my setup (it was cheap too) but i may go with somethin else later..

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by mad325is View Post
        wow thanks guys, that was exactly what i was after...

this is actually what i initially was saving up for, and still plan on purchasing... but will wait... have you tried the new PW?

i was wondering about the vagabond being used with other strobes, or if it were somehow proprietary, but i guess that answers that question...

i notice that a few of you guys are using strobes at or around 200 ws... would it be fair to say that 300ws would be fairly sufficient?

Stephen, that is roughly the rounte i was going down but found myself constantly wishing i could use different kinds of light modifiers, and when i was using a diffuser, it just wasnt doing what i wanted it to... which is why i decided if i was going to do this, i should spend a few bucks a make life a little easier on myself... or atleast try to

thanks to everyone else for all your input, it has given me some more things to think about

Yes, I have tried the new pocket wizards and they are great, raised the sync speed on my 40d to 1/8000 (from 1/250th) Meaning I no longer need to rent a 1d mkIII for weddings, though it is having issues with some of the early 5d mkIIs at this point.

As for the vagabond, it is just a clean package for a battery and an inverter, but it works great. The red light to indicate the battery is charged did raise an eyebrow with TSA once upon a time though.
        Last edited by Bimmerteck; 10-12-2009, 10:14 AM.

Comment

i'm thinking about getting the alien bees for my wife. i see it as an advantage for me too
          its seems like a nice simple package for her studio stuff and i can use it with the vagabond for my stuff...

bimmerteck, the new vagabond light is green for charged and red while charging

Comment

Originally posted by psiglx View Post
            i'm thinking about getting the alien bees for my wife. i see it as an advantage for me too
            its seems like a nice simple package for her studio stuff and i can use it with the vagabond for my stuff...

bimmerteck, the new vagabond light is green for charged and red while charging
            I doubt that will change anything, they just made one of us come back through the security checkpoint, leave the airport, and unhook the battery then return and recheck the bag before we could fly. Apparently they don't let any devices with "glowing lights" fly. Odd since we had no problems flying into Vegas only 2 days earlier. Gotta love the TSA's inconsistancy. Year before when I was flying out of Omaha they wanted to look through every single lens and body I was carrying. I ended up taking me almost 2 hours to get through security.

Comment

I have 1 sb800 lol. I too will be purchasing some alien bees in the future..

Comment

Working...
              X