Stanced DSLR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digitalauthor View Post

I just don't want that to happen anymore. I do my very best to find places I can support the camera. But I cannot always get it. I'm sure there are things I can learn to do slightly differently when I'm shooting to make them come out a bit better.
    I'll use this one as an example. I looked at the camera data from it and it shows that you took it at f/4.0, and at 100 ISO.

If you'd gone to 200 or 400 you could have significantly reduced your exposure time. That alone would have probably taken care of your blur. However, a larger aperture would also increase your shutter speed exponentially. By going up a (standard scale) step, you can halve your exposure time.

Another method you can use as a Plan B is one of my favourite quotes: "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit."
    If you have a picture with a composition you like, good content, nice light effect or whatever, you don't need to scrap it. Sometimes you can just roll with it and go for a style other than the usual clean and crisp.

This pictured turned out like this because it was sitting in a poorly lit lot, I didn't have my tripod, and I shot it at f/4.5 for 1/5th of a second, at probably 800 ISO. Looked like utter ass in colour, but I actually like it in black and white. Salvaged!

Plan C:
    The Hipster- if you really cocked it up but need to show something for your efforts, try to make it look like it wasn't taken with a camera manufactured in the past 30 years.

This is benz88 in his Lincoln Towncar, fresh off the showroom floor in 1994.

Fuck yeah, that's artsy. It's still pooched but you can pretend it's done on purpose. Or save it as a low quality JPEG so it gets artifacted to crap, upload to Photobucket and redownload it a few times, then say it's not even yours (unless people like it, then bust out the proper JPEG)
    Last edited by Guest; 01-21-2011, 03:41 PM.

Comment

i just learned so much about night shooting just from this thread lol

Comment

Kartikeya hit the nail on the head.
        - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Kartikeya, you are the fucking best. That's pretty awesome right there.

I understand what you mean about going up some in the iso. I don't understand however what you meant by going up a "standard scale step" I'm not gonna lie, I have no idea what that means.
          Derek H.

Comment

Some one said fuck yeah thats artsy?

- Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

If you're really in a bind you can try using a string "monopod". Basically just a piece of string (I find fishing line works well) tie a loop at each end. Attach one end to your camera and stick your foot in the other and put tension on the line.

It ain't perfect but like I said if you're in a bind it'll help a lot with thee up/down movement.
              -Ian

Photography flickr Facebook

Comment

Ok. Well, I'm not planning on being in a bind, but if I am and happen to have some fishing line I'll use it. But I was really hoping to buy a tripod/monopod sooner than later and was hoping people could help me out on that purchase. Although I must admit I've gotten a pretty damn good lesson on being able to take some better shots without one. I'd still kind of like to pick one up though. Thanks everyone!!
                Derek H.

Comment

Yes, you can find a smaller tripod / monopod that will fit your needs. It won't be the most stable but it will definitely help ... especially for less than one second exposures, etc.

Don't even worry about lighting, fast lenses, etc at this time. $50 solution for your needs > spending hundreds of dollars.

Hit up a local camera store and see what they've got. I wouldn't suggest the gorilla pod unless you get the heavy duty one and its still not -great- but it will get the job done for most 1 second exposures or faster. I wouldn't trust it to take consecutive tack sharp 20 second exposures or anything.
                  FlickR

"What really goes on in the mind of a n**** that gets down for theirs? Constantly, money over bitches."

Comment

Originally posted by kartikeya View Post
                    What kind of lens are you using? A faster lens can take some decent night shots with no tripod.
                    Simple manual 50mm 1.8, dashed out into the street to take the shot and because of the large aperture, got enough light for a relatively quick shutter speed (1/10).

However, when I do need a tripod, I'm using a Giotto VT806 which is a really cheap ($30) aluminum/plastic tripod. Folded up, it's about 2.5' long, and isn't cumbersome. I can stick it in my backpack and take it with me on the Ruckus, or bike, or walk, and because it's lightweight, it really doesn't bother me. In fact, the heaviest thing is the camera itself.

The trade off of course is that's not as precise, since it's mostly plastic, and more susceptible to vibration.

Kielan - if he's concerned about carrying one tripod, lighting equipment is the opposite of a solution.
                    nice car.
                    Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                    he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

Originally posted by digitalauthor View Post
                      Alright. My ISO options are 100, 200, 400, 800, or 1600.

I might get a monopod, I can probably get one that folds up fairly small. The tripod is good, I just know most of the cheap ones don't hold a heavy DSLR very well. And I'd rather not trust my nice camera up too high on a pile of worthless shit.
                      Honestly I shoot with a Canon AE-1 Program - it ways a little more than a house. The tripod is more than capable of holding it even if it was a cheap one.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X