No announcement yet.

Build Sanctuary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope he fails. Looks like he is using other peoples builds and photos to create content.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Originally posted by sleeps View Post
      EDIT: Here is what I got from sending him another PM today:

CraigLovelock has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove CraigLovelock from the recipient list and send the message again.
      Only just seen this thread about our website after searching google for any backlinks.

Where shall I start...

I have never had one person give any bad feedback or response to me using their build project on the site. In most cases, I was finding projects that I felt were good to read and I enjoyed.

Normally I wouldn't copy the users whole thread, but instead a few pages simply to give an idea of what their build could look like on our website. We never received any negative replies from us doing so. Most people were happy for it to happen and said they would continue to update on BuildSanctuary as they liked the site.

Sleep, my account was banned for the exact reasons of advertising through PM. Thats why you received the message.

Our advertising strategy was naive and the wrong way to go about things. The content creation is a catch 22 situation however so content needs to be 'forced' before the site becomes self sufficient.

I regards to the legibility of the site... its not a knocked up in 10 minutes WordPress blog. The first iteration was a slow progress built over a year from scratch. We have since relaunched with a new version again re-written for performance and mobile first usability.

We are still developing and gaining users whilst advertising properly across facebook and contacting forums for banner spaces etc.

If your build is on BuildSanctuary, it can be deleted in minutes either by yourself or be emailing me / PM.

In our eyes, we never claim the content was now property of BS. We are not making money, running ads etc so there is no personal gain except for trying to start a web app project that we genuinely believe will be a positive for all communities.

I am happy to answer any issues / complaints / questions. PM me or post here.

Hope that clears up the anonymous appearance of our website and any issues raised here.

Craig.

Comment

Seems like another version of http://www.build-threads.com/
        Originally posted by Jesus Christ
        he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

Craig,

I appreciate you coming on here to answer questions about your website.

My build is not one that you have placed on BuildSanctuary, but as an observer and someone who has both run websites built on user content as well as someone who has had to deal with intellectual property issues, I hope you'll find my comments useful.

Understand that, although you are giving attribution to the car's owner in your posts, by lifting posts wholesale from elsewhere and attributing the post to their user name, you are implying that they have endorsed your site and have chosen to use it. Most people - in fact, I would guess the vast majority - perceive this as a compliment, but not all, and it is not acceptable to appropriate the words, images, and most importantly, online persona of an individual without permission, period. Whether you directly profit monetarily from the appropriation of someone else's work and persona on your site at this juncture is irrelevant.

Having run more than a handful of websites and forums, I completely understand the chicken-and-egg problem of content generation. But ultimately, the needs of your website are irrelevant to those of us affected by how you have chosen to generate your content. Content generation for your website is not the community's problem. This is not some utilitarian ethical system where you can sell us on the idea that the perceived good of a new website outweighs the theft of our content and your association of our names with your website. That is not how this works.

I am willing to accept that you have only the most noble of intentions here, but your approach is deeply flawed. Understand that some of us, as a direct result of websites with approaches not dissimilar from yours have had to become fiercely protective of our content and names as a defense mechanism. We do not appreciate having ourselves plastered on an anonymous website we did not sign up for. We do not appreciate the "easier to ask forgiveness than permission" approach.

What you have done here is not journalism, and it's not community-building, though I think you do honestly believe it is. What you have done is plagiarism and impersonation. Well-intended, no doubt, but plagiarism and impersonation nevertheless.

Let me put another way: had I received a PM to put my build on your website, I would have gladly done so immediately. Had I found my car on your website without having given my permission, I would not have e-mailed you to remove it, I would have filed yet another DMCA notice, and your website would have been brought down until the infringing content was removed. Permission matters.

I sincerely hope you will reconsider your approach to content generation and consider removing the builds for which you do not have explicit permission from the owners. Until then, my only visits will be to ensure you have not attempted to impersonate me nor plagiarize the content I have so painstakingly created.

I hope you will take this in the spirit it is intended.

-Sam
          Last edited by Oh Damn, it's Sam; 01-16-2015, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by benz88 View Post
            Seems like another version of http://www.build-threads.com/
            It's actually quite different. Build-Threads.com (my site) takes 10-20 images from a build thread along with a small introduction to wet the appetite of the reader, then I have a link at the bottom of the post which takes you to the actual build thread on whatever forum it's hosted on (think of it as a movie trailer). I have only re-hosted a few builds in their entirety, each with full permission from the owner. My site is a blog, only I post, everyone else just reads.

Build-Sanctuary is a site where anyone can join up and host their build to share with the world. It's like starting a build thread on a forum, but without the forum, kind of like Tumblr for builds, which is how Craig described it to me. I think it's a great idea, people often ask me where they can post their builds if they don't use forums, and I never had an answer for them, now I send them to Build Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
              Craig,

I appreciate you coming on here to answer questions about your website.

I hope you will take this in the spirit it is intended.

-Sam
              In light of this thread and the responses of some users we have now hidden all of the builds that we have not had a reply back from the owner.

Starting today we are changing are content building plan and instead going to target some really high quality and popular builds. We will contact the best builds throughout multiple forums and ask for permission to post on their behalf or if they are happy to then they can post themselves.

We have an amazing couple of updates going live soon so along with that and our new method of getting great content without infringing and privacy / content acts we should be looking to push advertising heavily soon.

Thanks for the thoughts and feedback so far.

Originally posted by anth View Post
              It's actually quite different. Build-Threads.com (my site) takes 10-20 images from a build thread along with a small introduction to wet the appetite of the reader, then I have a link at the bottom of the post which takes you to the actual build thread on whatever forum it's hosted on (think of it as a movie trailer). I have only re-hosted a few builds in their entirety, each with full permission from the owner. My site is a blog, only I post, everyone else just reads.

Build-Sanctuary is a site where anyone can join up and host their build to share with the world. It's like starting a build thread on a forum, but without the forum, kind of like Tumblr for builds, which is how Craig described it to me. I think it's a great idea, people often ask me where they can post their builds if they don't use forums, and I never had an answer for them, now I send them to Build Sanctuary.
              Thanks for that reply. Exactly as you said, two different sites for different purposes.

I'll be in contact again soon RE advertising once we are ready again.

Comment

Glad you came back to try and clear things up, id made it very untrustworthy when you were no where to be found. I also tried to log in but it would never let me, so that did not help either. Hope your sitre works out for the best.

Comment

Working...
                X