No announcement yet.

Next car question. Need opinions. No rudeness please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I'm fortunate enough to have my parents be buying it for me. I'm extremely thankful for it and that's why I'm wondering if I'm dumb for wanting an older car. And I'm pretty sure I'll end up paying for insurance. I'll be living on campus at college so no garage. And I will have a job. The size of the miata doesn't bother me because I pretty much drive a 2 seater now. I drive a prelude with almost no trunk space due to my sub. But the 370z and miata have about the same space I believe. One may have a little more or less.

Comment

The inside of a 370Z feels a lot roomier than a Miata for me. Honestly though look at the S2000.
      Y'all know me, still the same OG.

Comment

I agree with you, getting an older car can be a more practical since your still in college and money can get a lil tight at times. What year Miata are you considering?

Comment

Looking at late NA or NB years after the lifter tick probs. 370z would be very nice but needs premium and pretty bad mpg and expensive parts. But then there are many pros too

Comment

And I'll look into s2000 as well. Thanks

Comment

Even if your parents are buying you the car, take on the insurance payments yourself at a minimum.

You'll learn to appreciate whatever car you have a little bit more when you take on paying for it every month.
              BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
              Originally posted by Ollie
              We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Yeah that's true. Growing up, my grandfather taught me to appreciate cars, no matter what it is. He taught me cars are an art form and that's inspired me to be a mechanical engineer. My current prelude is unreliable but I still put time into appreciating it and get compliments on how well it looks for a 14 year old car.
                Last edited by Aboutlows; 02-14-2014, 02:16 PM.

Comment

I am a guy in college. I also own an NB Miata, and it's my only car. It will certainly live through college, it'll take all the abuse you can throw at it, and it's the best bang-for-buck driver that you can get (opinion). Cheap parts, cheap mods, cheap on gas.

However, it won't take more than a month's worth of groceries, it won't take more than one passenger, and it's not too happy on extended highway trips. I'd say 3 hours tops at 75 and you start to get tired of it. If you can live without the practicality of a larger car, buy the Miata. It won't disappoint.

Comment

currently being in college id say the wrx. (i have a b5 s4)
                    -4doors more fun in general to go out with friends, and just cruise.
                    -also more space since its a bigger car to move to campus or when you move out.
                    -id saw weather,(snow) but that doesnt apply to you haha
                    1997 Audi A4 1.8tQM (bamboo metallic) -- 2001.5 Audi S4 6sp (imola yellow)

Comment

I want to scream 370z from the mountains because I absolutely love mine and love the body lines of the z34 slammed on some negative offset wheels... but I can also tell you that I ran myself into the ground getting mine as a 22 year old E-4 in the Army. i'm out now and love my car but it is a very expensive b*tch. I actually bought a mk4 jetta because the gas was killing me with my 40 minute commute. I throw around the idea of selling it and just getting an army of s13's all the time. Truth is I could never sell my Z. Our situations are really different though, so maybe a less expensive route would be the best way to go. What about a G35 or z33?

Comment

Originally posted by Slammed370z View Post
                        I want to scream 370z from the mountains because I absolutely love mine and love the body lines of the z34 slammed on some negative offset wheels... but I can also tell you that I ran myself into the ground getting mine as a 22 year old E-4 in the Army. i'm out now and love my car but it is a very expensive b*tch. I actually bought a mk4 jetta because the gas was killing me with my 40 minute commute. I throw around the idea of selling it and just getting an army of s13's all the time. Truth is I could never sell my Z. Our situations are really different though, so maybe a less expensive route would be the best way to go. What about a G35 or z33?
                        Hmmm yeah being in college and paying for the gas on the beast is my real concern with the cost of other things. I don't really fancy the g35 or 350z much. Don't like the body lines on them.

Comment

Here is what I would do.

Get the WRX, so that you'll have something reliable and nicer to drive around.

get a job, save up a bit, buy a NA or NB Miata on your own. I think doing this will give you a great pleasure on knowing that you have paid for everything on that particular car.

I've always had 2 cars since 2007, it's nice having choices which car you want to drive for the day.

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Aboutlows View Post
                            Hmmm yeah being in college and paying for the gas on the beast is my real concern with the cost of other things. I don't really fancy the g35 or 350z much. Don't like the body lines on them.
                            Yeah gas is a huge pain in the ass, that's why I bought a mk4 Jetta to drive as well lol

Comment

One time me and my best friend came to the conclusion that the Subaru WRX is one of the best cars every made. Good space in the back, good trunk space, good off road, good on road, a ton of mods, AWD, decent gas milage, it looks good. But, we live in Michigan, I am not sure where you live, but the WRX seems the most practical here.
                              '93 Mercury Sable GS (R.I.P.)
                              '00 Chevrolet s10 Blazer LT 4x4 (R.I.P.)
                              '93 Ford Probe GT

Comment

Working...
                              X