Calling out all you E36 owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling out all you E36 owners

Just at the title says, i'm calling out for some help from the E36 owners on the site (I know there's ALOT of you.

I'm in need of some help.

I'm CRAZY interested in buying one of these cars (preferably a vert) come next spring. And I just really need to know. What kind of stuff should i be checking out, testing etc etc.

Financially I won't be able to buy a crown jewl with stupid low km's (yes kilometers cause i'm a canuck) But It's a BMW. I won't mind having one with higher mileage. Somewhere in the 190000 - 250000 range with a really clean and rust free body would be key for me.

I just need to know what the weak links with these car's are. And I've read ALOT of horror stories of the rear shock tower's going for a complete shit, and tearing all to hell. Well, i'm not a huge "fabrication guy" and would **** for that kind of thing to happen. Just curious to know if anybody on the site has had that mishap happen to them.

I've tried to do as much research on these car's as possible, but I wanna hear from people who have dropped these things on their guts, and have them tell me what I should expect.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated guys.

Rear arch rot
    Leaking roof seals on verts
    Rear trailing arm bushes
    Broken springs on suspension
    Water pump needs to be metal propeller and change thermostat.
    Droplinks
    Topmounts
    Handbrake is shocking
    Use correct grade quality oil
    Service history

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
      Rear arch rot
      Leaking roof seals on verts
      Rear trailing arm bushes
      Broken springs on suspension
      Water pump needs to be metal propeller and change thermostat.
      Droplinks
      Topmounts
      Handbrake is shocking
      Use correct grade quality oil
      Service history

Andy
      By droplink, are you refering to sway bar links?

what do you mean by "handbrake is shocking"

Also, as for most suspension components. i was planing on replacing a whole shitload of them when I was planning on dropping it.

Comment

cuz of the thread title, i thought you were going to talk shit on e36 owners lol

@finalbossjosh

Comment

Originally posted by SunOfABeach View Post
          By droplink, are you refering to sway bar links?

what do you mean by "handbrake is shocking"

Also, as for most suspension components. i was planing on replacing a whole shitload of them when I was planning on dropping it.
          Yes sorry I'm from the UK so we say droplinks.
          I always say check rear arches first everything else can be easily replaced.

Handbrake bmws I find have the worse bite on any car I've owned so check it engages hard.
          Bare in mind UK mot test are very stringent now

Comment

Originally posted by joshg51 View Post
            cuz of the thread title, i thought you were going to talk shit on e36 owners lol

ahahha, i could have been like "there's too fucking many of you!"

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
            Yes sorry I'm from the UK so we say droplinks.
            I always say check rear arches first everything else can be easily replaced.

Handbrake bmws I find have the worse bite on any car I've owned so check it engages hard.
            Bare in mind UK mot test are very stringent now
            and here, if the ebrake holds enough for a guy to not be able to spin it while the car's on a hoist. it passes that test lol.
            Last edited by SunOfABeach; 11-02-2013, 11:47 AM.

Comment

You want a minty E36?! Don't buy one from Ontario...

Go to BC/AB, or down south.

Comment

Originally posted by 01lexpl View Post
                You want a minty E36?! Don't buy one from Ontario...

Go to BC/AB, or down south.
                ahahah I've found a few stupid clean ones here in Ontario. with less than 150km's on them. winter stored, 1 owner cars.

Comment

definitely thought this way gonna be about Ollie's car. Came in here to defend, left with a knowledge of what to look for if I ever desire an e36
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X