This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random question;

How much does a "certificate" from a college actually help? I currently work for Comcast doing pretty well for myself all things considered. I have been employed here for about 3 years and currently am in the inbound sales department. I like what I do.....but much like anyone in corporate America, I am always looking for ways to advance and ultimately make more money. I have worked my way up from the bottom, and while I don't neccesarily mind what I do, I am ready to get off the phones and be in a supervisory role of sorts. Even though I have great metrics and am one of the tops sales agents here, I doubt they would consider me seriously for a supervisor position because I am one of the youngest people here (24) and I lack any sort of degree/certificate. I have pondered the idea of going back to school and getting my associates in either business marketing or business management....but while researching my options I also stumbled across a few business management "certificate" programs. The reason they (the certificate programs) intrigued me is because they take considerably less time to achieve, and because I work full time and have less than desirable hours, making it difficult to add school into an already hectic agenda. My work will reimburse me in full for any school/degrees/certificate programs that is relative to my line of work so I am very interested in doing it. But....the real question here is....will it be worth my time?
    MB Obsidian Black Metallic Crossfire SRT-6
    Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

• Originally posted by Francois Dillinger View Post
      i can think of quite a few cars off the top of my head that definitely should have been shown. and it would have been cool to see some of the behind the scenes shit like you said.

omgyou'refamous.
      Me too. It was definitely bias to some cars for sure..

omgIknow. Oxer and I are superstars now.

Originally posted by Jesus Christ View Post
      im gonna make an effort to go to tailored
      Please

Originally posted by Longboarding_G
      you sir, win this battle.
      “Producing something of quality is obsessing over details nobody sees.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesus Christ View Post
        im gonna make an effort to go to tailored
        is it going to be an annual thing in pnw, or be like SOTU where it's somewhere new every year?

Comment

• Originally posted by OSSHWA View Post
          Random question;
          It will hold you back unless you are an entrepreneur or have an "in" with a company that you know you can move up. Take the courses you can especially if they are paid for by your work.

Comment

Random question;

How much does a "certificate" from a college actually help? I currently work for Comcast doing pretty well for myself all things considered. I have been employed here for about 3 years and currently am in the inbound sales department. I like what I do.....but much like anyone in corporate America, I am always looking for ways to advance and ultimately make more money. I have worked my way up from the bottom, and while I don't neccesarily mind what I do, I am ready to get off the phones and be in a supervisory role of sorts. Even though I have great metrics and am one of the tops sales agents here, I doubt they would consider me seriously for a supervisor position because I am one of the youngest people here (24) and I lack any sort of degree/certificate. I have pondered the idea of going back to school and getting my associates in either business marketing or business management....but while researching my options I also stumbled across a few business management "certificate" programs. The reason they (the certificate programs) intrigued me is because they take considerably less time to achieve, and because I work full time and have less than desirable hours, making it difficult to add school into an already hectic agenda. My work will reimburse me in full for any school/degrees/certificate programs that is relative to my line of work so I am very interested in doing it. But....the real question here is....will it be worth my time?

not worth your time.

poor spanish girls get certified by those same schools to do hair.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

is it going to be an annual thing in pnw, or be like SOTU where it's somewhere new every year?
              I think it will be annual. At least I hope so. It was nice having Tailored and Waterwerks in the same weekend.

Comment

i hope its in cali in that case sheeeeiiiiitttt

ill probably be a vendor next year, pretty stoked

Comment

• certificates are useless, and associate's degrees aren't much better. either get a bachelor's or work your way up and put in time. those are the best ways to get the supervisor job you want.

Comment

not worth your time.

poor spanish girls get certified by those same schools to do hair.
                    The school is actually legit. One of the biggest community colleges in my area. I have quite a few friends who either went there or are currently going there. It's just the program that i'm concerned about.

Here's a link to the course decription: http://www.nvcc.edu/academics/progra...g_id=8&level=2
                    Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

The school is actually legit. One of the biggest community colleges in my area. I have quite a few friends who either went there or are currently going there. It's just the program that i'm concerned about.

Here's a link to the course decription: http://www.nvcc.edu/academics/progra...g_id=8&level=2
                      oh, i didnt know it was a community college.

i still think it wouldn't help at all since associate degrees are a joke these days. either get a BBA and work on a MBA while youre young or tighten your belt and get ready for the rat race to a promotion

Comment

oh, i didnt know it was a community college.

i still think it wouldn't help at all since associate degrees are a joke these days. either get a BBA and work on a MBA while youre young or tighten your belt and get ready for the rat race to a promotion
                        exactly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spencer View Post
                          It will hold you back unless you are an entrepreneur or have an "in" with a company that you know you can move up. Take the courses you can especially if they are paid for by your work.
                          I look at it like this;

Worst case scenario: I take the course and get the certificate. It's only 24 credits, so even going to school part time (I'm thinking 2-3 classes a week tops based around my work schedule) means I can complete the course pretty quickly. My work pays for it regardless....so even it's all for nothing, i'm not really left to pick up the bill anyways. If I find that it was a total/complete waste of time.....i'm willing to bet that I can transfer some of those credits over towards an actual degree, go back to school and have my work continue to pay for my associates degree.

Mind you this is all sheer speculation and I appreciate all the feedback. Thing is....i'm just not in a position to realistically pursue a bachelors degree. At the pace I would have to take classes.....it would take me a gajillion years to complete a four year degree program....lol. I have been on my own since I was 19, I have more than my fair share of "grown up's" bills, my rents live two states away, and I am just simply trying to advance myself in an already pretty good job situation.
                          Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

• the 24 credits would likely transfer to an associates degree. and you would be about halfway there at that point. if your employer is picking up the tab, go for it!

Comment

Thing is....i'm just not in a position to realistically pursue a bachelors degree. At the pace I would have to take classes.....it would take me a gajillion years to complete a four year degree program....lol.
                              You would be surprised at your options to get a Bachelor's Degree.

Comment

• Bachelors degrees open a lot up to you. Way more than an associates degree. And say you want to change jobs later on, it could make or break you.
                                - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Working...
                                X