This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
    Morning all. i bought a Lincoln 140 MIG and it's been good to me so far. I heard if you max it out you could do 1/4 plate but I think I'd go either with arc or just a larger MIG. I was also looking at that Eastwood TIG and plasma cutter combo. Looks good for what I'd be doing. Just hobby stuff.

welld me some shit! and morning!
    IG @RobthaBavarian

Comment

• I'm uneducated on welding, but isn't arc for poor people?

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesus Christ View Post
        I'm uneducated on welding, but isn't arc for poor people?
        Arc is for super heavy duty. Nothing car related. I don't even know if they have 120v arc welders. When i bought my MIG I went to Home Depot and looked at the Lincoln's I think mine was $500, but i signed up for a $500 limit Home Depot Credit card and got 25% off my first purchase. Got a bunch of extras and wire. Dont forget to account for a tank of Tri mix in you budget because flux core sucks.

Comment

• Just drove an E90 M3 with DWs to emissions in an inch of snow.

/iamthedriftking
          /notreally
          /itwasn'tthatbad

www.fluidmotorunion.com
          www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
          I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Comment

• Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post
            Just drove an E90 M3 with DWs to emissions in an inch of snow.

/iamthedriftking
            /notreally
            /itwasn'tthatbad

pics or didnt happen!?
            IG @RobthaBavarian

Comment

• today is so slow!...so far,,.
              IG @RobthaBavarian

Comment

• Cat Stevens was awesome.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

If you ain't TIG'n, you ain't livin'
                  BMW E38
                  That White Evo
                  -SOLD
                  instagram @kbuss
                  flickr

Comment

Thing is, where I'll be doing the welding only has 120v access which limits the hell out of my options. I wanted to stay under 500 so if that means no cages for now, so be it. I can get enough use from it just doing exhaust, repairs and body stuff. Any regular 120v suggestions?
                    I would never recommend a welder you can plug into the wall. Any of the Harbor Freight welders are junk, and I know this because I've used almost all of them. Unlike how a welder should be, they are continuous-duty (meaning, they will arc and weld on anything the feed wire touches that's grounded- dangerous and easy to make shitty welds) and often times are very limited on their adjustability.

Any flux-core 110v/120v welder is going to blow. They're too powerful for proper sheetmetal work, and too weak to penetrate any of the heavy-duty shit (read: roll cages, suspension parts, ect.). Quality (read: Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, ect) 220V welders will have power control and wire feed speed that is adjustable in steps: which is immensely helpful.

TL;DR: Don't even bother with a welder if it isn't a 220V.
                    Originally posted by Jesus Christ View Post
                    ARC is for heavy-duty, ultra-thick industrial shit. As in, anything thicker than 1/4" is mandatory or you will blow through.

Also, ARC welding blows.

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post
                    Just drove an E90 M3 with DWs to emissions in an inch of snow.

/iamthedriftking
                    /notreally
                    /itwasn'tthatbad

Originally posted by kbuss View Post
                    If you ain't TIG'n, you ain't livin'
                    Mmmhmmmmm. I <3 TIG welding. And, as much as I **** to say it, I am spoiled by High Frequency Start. Ours has it at home, and I fucking looooove it to weld stainless and mild steel. I tried using a friend's cheaper, smaller TIG without it and I wanted to punch a child.
                    BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                    Originally posted by Ollie
                    We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

• Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
                      Don't even bother with a welder if it isn't a 220V.
                      I looked at the model of mine and it's 220. If you wanted you could just add a 220 breaker and run a dedicated circuit in EMT conduit in your garage and have no problems.

Comment

• Rack city bitch, rack, rack city.
                        - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

• Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
                          You too? Jesus Christ it's annoying. Which office did you suffer through?

In their defense, I heard some 10 people come up to the teller while I was there, and 7 of them didn't have the right form, didn't bring proof of insurance, didn't know they needed the plates to surrender the plates... areyoufuckingkiddingme.jpg
                          I went to the one in Greece and it's literally in a fucking mall. LOL And the dude kept telling me not to put an M3 on the road for winter

Yeah people are dumb so I understand it. In my hometown, I walk in grab a form from the shelf, fill it out while in line, and I'm in and out in less than 10 mins(usually just transferring plates). Meanwhile, every other idiot waits in line just so they can have a teller tell them which form to obviously fill out and wait in line all over.

Also you should give me welding lessons this summer!

IG: @_olliee

Comment

• I wonder how good the Eastwood welders are? The few reviews I've seen have been ok. Plus $999 for a TIG and Plasma. Might work for the small stuff I do.

Comment

• welp this guy is fucked
                              hdd is hosed and even the old freezer trick doesn't work
                              Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ollie View Post
                                I went to the one in Greece and it's literally in a fucking mall. LOL And the dude kept telling me not to put an M3 on the road for winter

Yeah people are dumb so I understand it. In my hometown, I walk in grab a form from the shelf, fill it out while in line, and I'm in and out in less than 10 mins(usually just transferring plates). Meanwhile, every other idiot waits in line just so they can have a teller tell them which form to obviously fill out and wait in line all over.

Also you should give me welding lessons this summer!
                                You're always invited around this summer. I'm only in Palmyra or Macedon, and we cruise up to Rochester a lot.
                                Originally posted by Dudermagee View Post
                                welp this guy is fucked
                                hdd is hosed and even the old freezer trick doesn't work
                                Dat sux.
                                BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                                Originally posted by Ollie
                                We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Working...
                                X