This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kielan View Post
    Graphic design, no offense but mechanics can make bank but its getting harder and harder to these days, to be succesful in the automotive industry. Graphic design can take you places, and make you big money when you're young if you know how to market yourself, and you are good at what you do, which based on your drawings you know what the fuck you are doing.
    fo sho dude. Graphics Designing it is then.

♥ for you Kielan.
    |My Blog|flickr| Currently own: '96 S-10, and '97 Maxima; Soon to own: '95 S14

Originally posted by DuWerk
    Drama you are like god
    Originally posted by SwearBear
    Lol, yes its a 5 speed manuel. I **** automatic >.< And just because its a kia doesnt mean it doesnt have guts or power. 273whp with extreamly very little done to it like less then $100 done to it.

Comment

• I'm switching out of spanish to photo journalism next semester. I **** my spanish class. Then I can get event passes to football games and such

Drama you are like god
      Lol, yes its a 5 speed manuel. I **** automatic >.< And just because its a kia doesnt mean it doesnt have guts or power. 273whp with extreamly very little done to it like less then $100 done to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by wheelfetish View Post
        I feel you bro. I like working on cars, just not stock oem cars you know? I would love to start my own shop specializing in stance and some performance but then who would come to my shop and pay for me to install coilovers/bags, refinishing wheels you know? Specially a kid that came right out of college. I talked to Dave about it awhile ago and he gave me some info on how to start it and how to get suppliers. Its just idk. I wish someone would just tell me witch way to go you know. Go right to a dealership or spend a year starting/promoting my shop. I know my family would support me and would help with the shop since my mom has a strong background of starting a business and running it, im just worried that it wont be a success. But I **** to think that the rest of my life ill be working flat rate at a dealership. I know I don't want to do that.
        It all comes down to location man start a shop in the right place and you could make it big. If you have a good business plan, and know there will be a base for customers you'll be golden.

If it all possible I would say work at a dealership and open a shop all at the same time, that way you have a solid flow of income and when the shop starts to pick up quit the dealership.
        - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

• Originally posted by Drama View Post
          decisions, decisions....I'm in a pickle right now too.. I dont know if I should do Graphics designing the next 2 years or automotive mechanics/collision repair.
          Well, from the automotive prospective, it sucks lol. Like Kielan said, its getting more and more difficult. You know bmw is going to start making cars without camshafts? Yeah, no camshafts. Its going to be all electrical now and let me tell you, electrical problems suck the worst. Its not just "oh we have no fuel, so replace the fuel pump". You have to diagnose the problem. Could take a minute to find the problem, or could take a day and if the dealership dosent pay you money to find the problem, that 4 hour job just turned into -10 hours witch means you get O money for that job and now you have to make up 10 hours just to break even.

-Dan

Comment

• Some advice I can give you guys is if you are passionate about cars, don't try to make a career out of it. Cause when the time comes to work on your own car, you won't enjoy it in the same way.

Then again, people are driven by different things.
            Originally posted by anth
            Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

fo sho dude. Graphics Designing it is then.

♥ for you Kielan.
              No problem man, I wish I had great advice for my own life.
              Originally posted by Drama View Post
              I'm switching out of spanish to photo journalism next semester. I **** my spanish class. Then I can get event passes to football games and such
              I wish my school offered a class like that, my HS blew major if they had courses that actually interested me I may actually know what I wanted to do with my life.. I still really want press passes for some PSU sports though.
              - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kielan View Post
                If you start a shop in the right place you could be super successful you just have to choose the right place.
                East coast for sure. Really really really want to do it outside of ocean city md. Its just I need help like a partner to go in with me you know.

-Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxer View Post
                  Some advice I can give you guys is if you are passionate about cars, don't try to make a career out of it. Cause when the time comes to work on your own car, you won't enjoy it in the same way.

Interesting. That's what my parents brought up few years ago.

(When I wanted to do automotive design.)

Main Page - Facebook - Flickr - Instagram - Twitter
                  Originally posted by Oxer
                  You know who Jason is? Anyone here read the Bible or know most of the stories etc? Who's the guy that stands at the gate and decides if you get into heaven or not? That's Jason. He processes everyone in the intro threads and welcomes them.
                  Originally posted by Average_Jerk
                  Also you relinquish all of your rights by posting in RT. You can be banned at any time for no reason at all.

Comment

East coast for sure. Really really really want to do it outside of ocean city md. Its just I need help like a partner to go in with me you know.
                    OC would be cool, but at the same time I feel like there aren't that many people down there, that would be into stance and such but rather lifted trucks and dumb stuff that can be used on farms.. I was going to suggest the tristate area, or something similar with tons of cities in the area.
                    - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

• Thought about maybe opening around the philly area. Maybe like a 20 min drive from philly, that area. I know for sure it has to be a well populated city with a good euro scene.

-Dan

Comment

Well, from the automotive prospective, it sucks lol. Like Kielan said, its getting more and more difficult. You know bmw is going to start making cars without camshafts? Yeah, no camshafts. Its going to be all electrical now and let me tell you, electrical problems suck the worst. Its not just "oh we have no fuel, so replace the fuel pump". You have to diagnose the problem. Could take a minute to find the problem, or could take a day and if the dealership dosent pay you money to find the problem, that 4 hour job just turned into -10 hours witch means you get O money for that job and now you have to make up 10 hours just to break even.
                        wow. Thats wack. I think I might just go the artistic route

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
                        Some advice I can give you guys is if you are passionate about cars, don't try to make a career out of it. Cause when the time comes to work on your own car, you won't enjoy it in the same way.

Like in some videos, I hear they really love doing something but they do it as a hobby

Originally posted by Kielan View Post
                        No problem man, I wish I had great advice for my own life.

I wish my school offered a class like that, my HS blew major if they had courses that actually interested me I may actually know what I wanted to do with my life.. I still really want press passes for some PSU sports though.
                        I don't see how you cant. You come up with great advice.

Yea I have to photo journalism then I can take another class next year, called scriptoria, which you do stuff for the yearbook. I'd be specializing in photography for the yearbook in that class. Then thats when I can get my pass.

Drama you are like god

Comment

Thought about maybe opening around the philly area. Maybe like a 20 min drive from philly, that area. I know for sure it has to be a well populated city with a good euro scene.
                          That's a good place for sure, 4th largest city in the country not too far from other major populated areas, hell if I need to get my shit dialed in proper I would make the 3 hour drive. And you could serve all of south jersey, PA, etc. thats a damn good place, and there are ton of people down there that are into it as well.
                          - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

wow. Thats wack. I think I might just go the artistic route

Like in some videos, I hear they really love doing something but they do it as a hobby

I don't see how you cant. You come up with great advice.

Yea I have to photo journalism then I can take another class next year, called scriptoria, which you do stuff for the yearbook. I'd be specializing in photography for the yearbook in that class. Then thats when I can get my pass.
                            Do it up man you have got talent, just keep at it, I could see you going far with it.
                            - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Thought about maybe opening around the philly area. Maybe like a 20 min drive from philly, that area. I know for sure it has to be a well populated city with a good euro scene.
                              I have a friend up in Philly that has a sick RB S14. He completely rebuilt the engine, and still is. He takes it apart every weekend and cleans it. I think he works at a Porsche dealership if im not mistaken? But I can probably get him to help you if you need any.

Drama you are like god

Comment

• Id hook you up for sure lol.

I know I can pull a shop off. Its just im terrified that ill open up then have no business and bankrupt within a year. Like ill be 21, starting my own business fresh out of school. 80% sure tho that its what I want to do.

-Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X