BMW E38
    That White Evo
    -SOLD
    instagram @kbuss
    flickr

Comment

• Originally posted by kbuss View Post
      if I was lower, id have a skid plate
      Why? So you can put it right below your pan, reduce your clearance and smash shit, and not only fuck the plate up but destroy your pan as well? The only logical way to have one on a street car is to have it there when there is like 1/2"+ of space between the pan and the plate, and it doesn't reduce clearance to the ground in relation to other parts under there as well. Otherwise, it's fucking useless and you're just going to end up destroying the plate, and your pan. And if your skid plate is less than like 10 gauge steel you're not even coming close to protecting shit. They're fucking dumb, on a rally car? Absofuckinglutely makes sense to have one, most things that would hit it would move before the plate does, (like rocks in mud), but pavement, from something that would smash your pan? Yeah fucking right.
      - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

• been at work for 33mins. ready to go home
        Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

• Originally posted by Kielan View Post
          Skid plates are fucking dumb.
          Spoken like someone who's never needed one.

Originally posted by Kielan View Post
          Why? So you can put it right below your pan, reduce your clearance and smash shit, and not only fuck the plate up but destroy your pan as well? The only logical way to have one on a street car is to have it there when there is like 1/2"+ of space between the pan and the plate, and it doesn't reduce clearance to the ground in relation to other parts under there as well. Otherwise, it's fucking useless and you're just going to end up destroying the plate, and your pan. And if your skid plate is less than like 10 gauge steel you're not even coming close to protecting shit. They're fucking dumb, on a rally car? Absofuckinglutely makes sense to have one, most things that would hit it would move before the plate does, (like rocks in mud), but pavement, from something that would smash your pan? Yeah fucking right.
          You need to take Fabrication 101 my friend.

I'm using 1/4" thick plate (currently) with about 1/8" between my header and the plate itself, maybe a little less. With proper bracing, your skid plate shouldn't ever hit what it's protecting. Kind of defeats the point if it does. And, well, if your "skid plate" does, then you suck at life and should drag your face on pavement.

So, let's see. Risk smashing a rock/chunk of asphalt/random road debris and taking out my oil pan, $1k Mugen header and catalytic converter, or spend $10 on materials and protecting all of the above while sacrificing 1/2" of ground clearance when you're bound to scrape/bang/spark anyway?

Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
          been at work for 33mins. ready to go home
          iknowthatfeel.jpg

Been here for 2.5 hours.
          BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
          Originally posted by Ollie
          We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

• Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post

I'm using 1/4" thick plate (currently) with about 1/8" between my header and the plate itself, maybe a little less. With proper bracing, your skid plate shouldn't ever hit what it's protecting. Kind of defeats the point if it does. And, well, if your "skid plate" does, then you suck at life and should drag your face on pavement.

So, let's see. Risk smashing a rock/chunk of asphalt/random road debris and taking out my oil pan, $1k Mugen header and catalytic converter, or spend $10 on materials and protecting all of the above while sacrificing 1/2" of ground clearance when you're bound to scrape/bang/spark anyway?

iknowthatfeel.jpg

Been here for 2.5 hours.
            thats just too early hahah

Comment

• Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
              been at work for 33mins. ready to go home
              I've been here for 6.5 hours another hour and a half to go. Although I must admit, I don't **** it. This project was supposed to take me like 2 weeks, I've done 90% of it today... They must think I'm retarded. Shit is so simple, it's good to know though, one step closer to becoming an operator, and when I become an operator, that means I can go to events that they need me at (in the US, when I'm home), and get paid 4-500 a day. Works for me.
              - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

I've been here for 6.5 hours another hour and a half to go. Although I must admit, I don't **** it. This project was supposed to take me like 2 weeks, I've done 90% of it today... They must think I'm retarded. Shit is so simple, it's good to know though, one step closer to becoming an operator, and when I become an operator, that means I can go to events that they need me at (in the US, when I'm home), and get paid 4-500 a day. Works for me.
                youre american. everyone in every other country assumes youre retarded

Comment

thats just too early hahah
                  It makes for a good drive in the morning though. Traffic is minimal at 7am, and you can just rip down the road.
                  BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                  Originally posted by Ollie
                  We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

It makes for a good drive in the morning though. Traffic is minimal at 7am, and you can just rip down the road.
                    thats true. my commute isnt bad. Luckily i dont have to go anywhere near a congested area

Comment

iknowthatfeel.jpg

Been here for 2.5 hours.
                      I'm arguing for your case (mostly), a PROPERLY done plate, is fine, but 95% of scene faggots, won't do any of the proper bracing, and think that a fucking speed limit sign is going to protect their shit. What you just described is exactly what I was saying you should do (although I'm not a fan of reducing clearance, as fun as throwing sparks is, I don't love the feeling of scraping while going over 20). That 1/2" is usually the difference it takes, or at least in my case. I raised the car 1/2" and NEVER scrape, I used to bang frame all the time.. So that space is extremely valuable to me. And all my shit is tucked out of the way anyway. Can't make a plate to protect my LCAs so... I'll get by. I'm just tired of people being like "Yeah look at my skid plate" shits fucking welded to like the sway bar and the pan is resting on it. Makes me want to smash their face into the pavement.
                      - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

youre american. everyone in every other country assumes youre retarded
                        Except for the guys into stance, those guys WORSHIP the American scene.
                        - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

I'm arguing for your case (mostly), a PROPERLY done plate, is fine, but 95% of scene faggots, won't do any of the proper bracing, and think that a fucking speed limit sign is going to protect their shit. What you just described is exactly what I was saying you should do (although I'm not a fan of reducing clearance, as fun as throwing sparks is, I don't love the feeling of scraping while going over 20). That 1/2" is usually the difference it takes, or at least in my case. I raised the car 1/2" and NEVER scrape, I used to bang frame all the time.. So that space is extremely valuable to me. And all my shit is tucked out of the way anyway. Can't make a plate to protect my LCAs so... I'll get by. I'm just tired of people being like "Yeah look at my skid plate" shits fucking welded to like the sway bar and the pan is resting on it. Makes me want to smash their face into the pavement.
                          on my next car, im gonna make a cow catcher. just push all the obstacles out of my way

Comment

Except for the guys into stance, those guys WORSHIP the American scene.
                            yesterday some random customer told me that Mike is his hero hahaha

Comment

• I love my skidplates on the Q. Theyre 3/16" steel with at least 1/2" clearance between both the tranny and oil pan plates. Wasn't really worried about the oil pan, but my tranny clearance is what scared me. That skid plate does kill a lot of clearance because it's almost flush with my frame rails so I had to space it downwards a bit. If I hit a bump that goes across the road (like an unintentional mini speed bump from shit roads), it will smash my skid plate into the frame rails but shouldn't ever make the plate bend into my transmission. The thing that is dangerous on the roads I travel is on the highway there are a lot of ruts in the road that both wheels fall into bringing the center of the road right down the center of the car going straight for my transmission which then would be unprotected by the frame rails. Those crowns in the road are what's fucked. So when it's night time, it's raining, I'm getting road dome lol and/or high as shit going 75 on the highway, as soon as I hear that skidplate scrape I know to put two wheels in the center of the road, even though I usually hug the white line to avoid this anyway. It's a nice little reminder.

I've heard of vip guys in japan using urethane skid plates and I know rock crawlers often use UHMW (ultra high molecular weight polyurethane) for their skid plates. It seems like it would just bend and smash right into the pan immediately but at the same time I think maybe if it was done right it would soften the blow. And we all know those jap vip guys are ahead of the game so they might know tricks we dont. Plus you could quietely and smoothly scrape and slide right over all sorts of things and definitely keep from getting beached as often which would be awesome

IG: @_olliee

Comment

• Originally posted by Ollie View Post
                                I love my skidplates on the Q. Theyre 3/16" steel with at least 1/2" clearance between both the tranny and oil pan plates. Wasn't really worried about the oil pan, but my tranny clearance is what scared me. That skid plate does kill a lot of clearance because it's almost flush with my frame rails so I had to space it downwards a bit. If I hit a bump that goes across the road (like an unintentional mini speed bump from shit roads), it will smash my skid plate into the frame rails but shouldn't ever make the plate bend into my transmission. The thing that is dangerous on the roads I travel is on the highway there are a lot of ruts in the road that both wheels fall into bringing the center of the road right down the center of the car going straight for my transmission which then would be unprotected by the frame rails. Those crowns in the road are what's fucked. So when it's night time, it's raining, I'm getting road dome lol and/or high as shit going 75 on the highway, as soon as I hear that skidplate scrape I know to put two wheels in the center of the road, even though I usually hug the white line to avoid this anyway. It's a nice little reminder.

I've heard of vip guys in japan using urethane skid plates and I know rock crawlers often use UHMW (ultra high molecular weight polyurethane) for their skid plates. It seems like it would just bend and smash right into the pan immediately but at the same time I think maybe if it was done right it would soften the blow. And we all know those jap vip guys are ahead of the game so they might know tricks we dont. Plus you could quietely and smoothly scrape and slide right over all sorts of things and definitely keep from getting beached as often which would be awesome
                                its like the polycarbon brass knuckles. those shits are super strong and wont break

Comment

Working...
                                X