This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kielan View Post
    I'm aware you can setup an FWD car to oversteer, but a daily driver isn't going to be setup to do that, unless your daily driver happens to be a race car.
    My old DD oversteered on R-Compounds... when pushed to extreme. Normally it'll tear your face off.

IMHO, both platforms have their pros and cons.
    Last edited by PavelK313; 12-12-2011, 06:02 PM.

IG: PavelKostyurin

Comment

• I'm not talking about taking the car to its limits, I'm just saying pushing it..
      - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

• I'm shopping for an E38 or E39 540 myself. MS3's are cool, but I don't like little chinsy cars to drive around in. I like a heavy car with torque. It's just how I'm programmed. Nothing against smaller cars like that, but there is something like engraved in my brain about how solid a heavier car feels. One that can handle well, accelerate well, and cruise just as well.

As of right now, cars I'm considering for when I can afford a car payment again are E39 540i/6, E34 540i/6, E38 740 short sport, Volvo S60R or V70R, AMG C43 (unlikely), things like that. All can be found in a reasonable price range (I don't set my goals too high, a $10k car seems like a $40k car to me).

Comment

• the only fun thing about FWD is their ability to straighten out from absolutely ridiculous slides.

"Everything has potential."

Comment

• Originally posted by Zack01GC View Post
            I'm shopping for an E38 or E39 540 myself. MS3's are cool, but I don't like little chinsy cars to drive around in. I like a heavy car with torque. It's just how I'm programmed. Nothing against smaller cars like that, but there is something like engraved in my brain about how solid a heavier car feels. One that can handle well, accelerate well, and cruise just as well.

As of right now, cars I'm considering for when I can afford a car payment again are E39 540i/6, E34 540i/6, E38 740 short sport, Volvo S60R or V70R, AMG C43 (unlikely), things like that. All can be found in a reasonable price range (I don't set my goals too high, a $10k car seems like a $40k car to me).
            Avoid the S60/V70R.

The AWD system on them is Not Good.

Comment

• I've never actually driven a FWD without my mother being in the car, so I can't say from experience about pushing one, but I can say I do prefer the feel of RWD.

Originally posted by Jersh
              RT changes lives.

Comment

• They all have their pros and cons like Pavel said. Lately I have liking my RWD and don't want to go back to a FWD (MINI.) Even though the MINI is the best handling car I have driven next to a Lotus.

Originally posted by Longboarding_G
                you sir, win this battle.
                “Producing something of quality is obsessing over details nobody sees.”

Comment

• Had a few minutes in the porsche once, gotta say rear ENGINE is a whole different feeling.

Originally posted by Jersh
                  RT changes lives.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                    Avoid the S60/V70R.

I was wondering how much a bear they are to work on, and how expensive, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      Avoid the S60/V70R.

While this is true, have you ever driven one, owned one, or worked on one?

I daily my s60 R and have off and on for the past couple of years. I absolutely love the car and get compliments everywhere I go. Yes the awd can be a problem on these, but people are beginning to develop stronger spline sleeves to compensate for that. No they are not extremely quick but they are impressive for such a heavy car. I did a pull with an 08 sti the other day and pulled on it no problem. If you want to send me a message I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Comment

• I'm willing to accept any advise you can give me. I am a BMW guy, but I have worked on older (S70/850) Volvo's before... not bad to work on, parts aren't too expensive, reliable as shit. The S60R pertains to my interests in every way, though. I have an inherent attraction to problem cars for some reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by sacrifice View Post
                          While this is true, have you ever driven one, owned one, or worked on one?

I daily my s60 R and have off and on for the past couple of years. I absolutely love the car and get compliments everywhere I go. Yes the awd can be a problem on these, but people are beginning to develop stronger spline sleeves to compensate for that. No they are not extremely quick but they are impressive for such a heavy car. I did a pull with an 08 sti the other day and pulled on it no problem. If you want to send me a message I would be happy to answer any questions you have.
                          A good friend of mine had one for a few years, we did plenty of work on it.

VERY nice car, it was a V70R, black sapphire metallic w/ atacama interior. Possibly the nicest interior I've ever seen.

Comment

• Murphy's law is strong with me... whatever can go wrong with my car WILL go wrong, indefinitely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zack01GC View Post
                              I'm willing to accept any advise you can give me. I am a BMW guy, but I have worked on older (S70/850) Volvo's before... not bad to work on, parts aren't too expensive, reliable as shit. The S60R pertains to my interests in every way, though. I have an inherent attraction to problem cars for some reason.
                              Like Matt said the AWD scares some away. Shoot me a PM and I can help you out. I have been into volvos for as long as I can remember. My family has always owned them, I was brought back from the hospital in a 240 when I was born haha. Ive done rwd bricks, own an 850 and an s60R at the moment. Id be glad to help you out.

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                              A good friend of mine had one for a few years, we did plenty of work on it.

VERY nice car, it was a V70R, black sapphire metallic w/ atacama interior. Possibly the nicest interior I've ever seen.
                              Flash green/Atacama was my dream. Or Passion/Atacama V. I ended up with a Passion/Gobi S and absolutely love it. Only a couple hundred in the combo in the country. I think there are 15 or so passion/atamcama Vs in the country.

Comment

• See I'm not sure about Red R's. Something about it just looks...off to me, like it visually flattens the whole car. That plus the silver headlight housings and grille surround just make it look incredibly awkward in my opinion. Hey, if you like it though, more power to ya.

Comment

Working...
                                X