Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 74low145 View Post
    I did ask because I tought we would get down to the cost at some point:
    And no, I dont have the knowledge, thats why I asked.

As said, I just have this free car standing, some time on my hands and I'm willing to hear peoples input.
    aside from the actual aspects of doing the work there are some serious math and geometry questions that will come into play that it doesn't seem youd handle well lol

Comment

Assuming its an 8valve there is not a lot of power to be had but if its a turbo 16 valve by some odd chance those engines are a gold mine of power.
      Originally posted by JC.
      'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by soab View Post
        Also to add to the confusion if he kept the original engine he'd have to rotate 180* not 90 to make it front engine rear wheel drive.
        Are you sure about that....? My celica and my brothers mazda3 are both fwd and the transmission is in series with the engine. So the engine would go from an i4 go a straight 4, or a 90 degree twist

Comment

Originally posted by Celli View Post
          Are you sure about that....? My celica and my brothers mazda3 are both fwd and the transmission is in series with the engine. So the engine would go from an i4 go a straight 4, or a 90 degree twist
          Yes, he's right the trans, for the most part is in front of the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
            Yes, he's right the trans, for the most part is in front of the engine.
            Oh that's interesting. I've never seen that before

Comment

Yup its an inline 4 with essentially a transaxle under it. Shares the oil pan with the trans casing, clutch is up front and the 'front' of the engine with the belts is in the rear.

Good shot of the engine and trans

And how it sits in the car (bottom of the pic is front of the car)
              Originally posted by JC.
              'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Oh! I didn't realize it was a front-back 4.

Comment

Yes, its and carburetor inline 4, 8v.
                  And to clear things up, if Im doing this I will get rid of the engine and trans.
                  Going for a swap, for a more powerful enginge.
                  So its a rip, cut, weld/build project. And all the other stuff ofc.

I like all the inputs here, even the one that suggests that I cant to math haha
                  -96 Chevrolet S10 (DD)
                  -85 Saab 900 (Project)
                  PhotoBlog
                  Spotted In Narvik

Comment

Your engine would not change from an I4 to a straight 4 as the are both the same thing dumbass.

Comment

Originally posted by 74low145 View Post
                      Yes, its and carburetor inline 4, 8v.
                      And to clear things up, if Im doing this I will get rid of the engine and trans.
                      Going for a swap, for a more powerful enginge.
                      So its a rip, cut, weld/build project. And all the other stuff ofc.

I like all the inputs here, even the one that suggests that I cant to math haha
                      Honesty, I WANT to see you do it. It's one hell of a build to follow. I'm just suggesting for your first swap, do something that's been done or, sell it for a RWD and soup up the RWD with the money saved for the swap. Both will be hella fun and hella rewarding. When this build starts, expect a sub

Originally posted by mrg7243 View Post
                      Your engine would not change from an I4 to a straight 4 as the are both the same thing dumbass.
                      no need to get testy. There's a pancake four, v6, straight six, w6, etc. lots of different engines have different names based on the size/shape. Like other things, thinking an i4 is different from a straight 4 is really not something worth bickering about. It's just not that big of deal.

Comment

Converting FWD cars to RWD has been done many times, there are at least 10 RWD civics with a range of motors in them in all sorts of configurations.

Use that search function on google and read up on other people's builds to get an idea of the task at hand.

There is really not much point asking people on here, as I doubt anyone here had first hand experience with such a project.
                        Drinking Enthusiast with a Car Problem

Comment

Originally posted by 180roman View Post
                          There is really not much point asking people on here, as I doubt anyone here had first hand experience with such a project.

Find another forum that has your car in mind. Forums are a gorgeous source of archived info. If you do dive into this project, you best keep an updated build. I'm already getting a bit antsy

Comment

There's a pancake four
                            Wut
                            BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                            Originally posted by Ollie
                            We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

I think you best bet is to take an AWD car and convert it to RWD with drivetrain swap

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

If he has to ask, he probably hasn't bothered doing any research for himself at all and wants a step by step life guide like me.
                                Someone please ban this guy.
                                Last edited by Anonymoose; 06-10-2013, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X