X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mrg7243 View Post
    you make 8k in one paycheck???!! Sign me up
    No you dunce, on top of the money I have from selling my car.

If I was making 4k a week, I would not have an issue with paying for school lol.
    - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kielan View Post
      This would be the difference of 1 pay check for me, 1 pay check isn't going to change me getting to school or not.

You also clearly didn't read what I said earlier today.

Bought my first E46 with 186k on it, thing ran like a top, made it to TN no issues 14 hours straight of driving. I know the motors well, and all the suspension components are new. The car has been owned by the owner of the BMW indy shop charlie works at since new. I know it's been meticulously cared for.
      Ah, I understand. Forgot it could be paid for from selling your car.

And no, I didn't read what you said earlier, so I apologize if I missed that point. The fact that the car was well documented in it's care and is relatively "known" between Charlie and the owner definitely helps. But, as stated earlier, a higher mileage car will be much more difficult to sell off in the short time you plan on owning it. I can't say I know of anyone who'd pay $8k for an E46 that has had that many things changed on it- short of selling it to another enthusiast like yourself.

Sorry, kind of dipping in and out of here on my phone at work today.
      BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
      Originally posted by Ollie
      We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Personal preference.
        Such a limiting factor though.
        Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

• Why not use the 8k for school?

Comment

No you dunce, on top of the money I have from selling my car.

If I was making 4k a week, I would not have an issue with paying for school lol.
            that makes sense now I was really confused

Comment

• Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
              Ah, I understand. Forgot it could be paid for from selling your car.

And no, I didn't read what you said earlier, so I apologize if I missed that point. The fact that the car was well documented in it's care and is relatively "known" between Charlie and the owner definitely helps. But, as stated earlier, a higher mileage car will be much more difficult to sell off in the short time you plan on owning it. I can't say I know of anyone who'd pay $8k for an E46 that has had that many things changed on it- short of selling it to another enthusiast like yourself.

Sorry, kind of dipping in and out of here on my phone at work today.
              Regardless I need a car, so that money is not going to make a difference. To get a car above the 8k range would require me to spend more of my money that I make this summer. 14k is a healthy chunk of money that if need be to pay for school I would put in to make sure I can finish out my 4th and final year. The difference of 1 paycheck in all of that however would not make a difference as to whether I could or could not go to school if it came down to it.

You are correct the car would have to be sold to an enthusiast, and once I graduate I wouldn't mind hanging on to it for right enthusiast to come around and buy it regardless. I'll have a job, and would most likely be picking up a newer car and car payment.

If I was to spend say 15k this summer (total) on getting a new car I would most likely not pick up a newer car after graduating. At least not for a bit (or I could sell it and get a newer car as well). Regardless of what I did I would be getting something, that most likely couldn't be sold to anyone but an enthusiast. Which is fine, and I've already accepted that.
              - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dudermagee View Post
                Such a limiting factor though.
                Let's be honest for a minute here.

If it came down to all of us buying exactly what we needed on a daily basis, everyone would be driving around in a Civic, a CRV, or a pickup truck.
                We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

• Originally posted by Francois Dillinger View Post
                  Why not use the 8k for school?
                  I still need a car if I am at school, getting to and from school costs about $150 in bus tickets (because I have no friends at school from my area any more they just all graduated). And I can't bring all my stuff to and from school on a bus, and now with my brother going to school as well starting this year, it makes things a lot more complicated for my parents to pick me up and all that shit.
                  - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Regardless I need a car, so that money is not going to make a difference. To get a car above the 8k range would require me to spend more of my money that I make this summer. 14k is a healthy chunk of money that if need be to pay for school I would put in to make sure I can finish out my 4th and final year. The difference of 1 paycheck in all of that however would not make a difference as to whether I could or could not go to school if it came down to it.

You are correct the car would have to be sold to an enthusiast, and once I graduate I wouldn't mind hanging on to it for right enthusiast to come around and buy it regardless. I'll have a job, and would most likely be picking up a newer car and car payment.

If I was to spend say 15k this summer (total) on getting a new car I would most likely not pick up a newer car after graduating. At least not for a bit (or I could sell it and get a newer car as well). Regardless of what I did I would be getting something, that most likely couldn't be sold to anyone but an enthusiast. Which is fine, and I've already accepted that.
                    I just hope you don't regret putting what you can towards school, and making do with some $4-5k beater for a few months.

I know, I know- you refuse to settle and you want what you want. It's hard to take a step down once you've had something nice.

But, your degree with reflect upon the rest of your life. You'd kick yourself if you could have gotten a job utilizing your degree next spring, but can't because you had to wait a semester to build up the cash again. (I'm not sure if that makes sense to you but deal with it)

Comment

I just hope you don't regret putting what you can towards school, and making do with some $4-5k beater for a few months.

I know, I know- you refuse to settle and you want what you want. It's hard to take a step down once you've had something nice.

But, your degree with reflect upon the rest of your life. You'd kick yourself if you could have gotten a job utilizing your degree next spring, but can't because you had to wait a semester to build up the cash again. (I'm not sure if that makes sense to you but deal with it)
                      If you had read what I said earlier you wouldn't be saying any of this.

Yes, I could get a 4-5k beater, but then I also would probably have to spend the same money in up keep. I've been burned twice on "beaters" not letting that happen again, because surprise expenses are what fuck you, not the routine ones that you can plan for.

I said earlier that my parents are "assuring" me that there won't be a need for me to put any money forward for school, and that they are "figuring it out". I haven't bought anything yet either, and believe me, school > everything else for me. If I need to not have a car to make it happen, then I won't, I'll figure out a way to make it all work. But given the information that I have been told, I should not have to worry about that.
                      - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

• Again. Kind of in and out of here today. And no backreading.

Makes sense. You can find a pretty solid car for $5k if you know what to look for.

Obviously none of them would fit your wish list, but there are tons of cars you could get for that kind of money and be set for a while with. I drove my Blue Prelude for 6 months without doing anything besides oil changes and rebuilding the starter.

Comment

Again. Kind of in and out of here today. And no backreading.

Makes sense. You can find a pretty solid car for $5k if you know what to look for.

Obviously none of them would fit your wish list, but there are tons of cars you could get for that kind of money and be set for a while with. I drove my Blue Prelude for 6 months without doing anything besides oil changes and rebuilding the starter.
                          My Integra, appeared to be and drove extremely well for 3 months, then it all went to shit, and I had to dump a shit load of money into it. If I'm broke and have no money, it would become more of a liability than anything else. I'd rather just not have a car at that point. Getting fucked over and stranded is a lot worse than having to figure out bus rides and getting my shit back and forth from school... I'm trying to be optimistic as well and not stay down on this whole situation, because if it all works out in the end then I'll be a whole lot happier, and for my own mental health sake I'd rather not lose my shit again and slip back to where I once was. That fucking sucked.
                          - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

• You missed the part where I said "if you know what to look for".

Even $8k cars break. Hell, all cars break. You're a glutten for punishment buying cars that have been modified and have high miles, though.

I'm out, good luck Kelly. I'm sure you'll get a plan sorted and have it figured out.

Comment

• for sure, good luck dude.taking time off school sucks. hopefully you can figure it all out. i took the last year off and feel retarded now. starting in a couple weeks is gonna blow.

Comment

• Judging from the circumstances, with you knowing the owner and such, I say do it and take your chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X