Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah yea that, they are always posting up my car.

Comment

• Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
      Pretty much accurate. We don't get the higher voltage. I'll be paying the electrician from work to do it with me (I'll mostly be watching and help run wire), I don't need to burn my house down.

Also, the last feature that was done (the Porsche) is a local guy. His feature kind of urks me out, mostly because the whole "story" behind it is a bunch of puffed-up nonsense. He didn't build it, he paid a shop (which, ironically, my friend works at) to do all the work. And by all the work, I mean install the coilovers, align it, and mount the wheels. Not exactly a "build", especially when all you do is sign the checks.
      these guys have a blog to keep alive, and that means poetry and fluff

Comment

The whole thing is going to be replaced, the drop for 100a is way too small for 200a. The fuckers we bought our house from skimped on that when they did the "repairs"
        it's going to be expensive 4/0-4/0-2/0 is running about 2.50 a foot. That's plenty enough for 200a. Then I'd just a Square D 200A box and then run a 100a sub panel in the garage. that will get you 220a to the sub panel. IDK about NY code, but in WA you can get away with pretty much for wiring if you run in metal conduit. That's what I'm doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
          it's going to be expensive 4/0-4/0-2/0 is running about 2.50 a foot. That's plenty enough for 200a. Then I'd just a Square D 200A box and then run a 100a sub panel in the garage. that will get you 220a to the sub panel. IDK about NY code, but in WA you can get away with pretty much for wiring if you run in metal conduit. That's what I'm doing.
          You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. It's going to be expensive, but it's another selling point for the house if we ever sell it.

I want a 100A subpanel in the garage specifically so I can shut everything off if I want to- and it saves me the trouble of having to run all the wires from the box in the basement all the way out. The hardest part is going to be running power from one side of the house all the way to the other.

Well, that, and paying the bill.
          BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
          Originally posted by Ollie
          We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. It's going to be expensive, but it's another selling point for the house if we ever sell it.

I want a 100A subpanel in the garage specifically so I can shut everything off if I want to- and it saves me the trouble of having to run all the wires from the box in the basement all the way out. The hardest part is going to be running power from one side of the house all the way to the other.

Well, that, and paying the bill.

it shouldn't be too hard to route it. I'm betting it will go though your attic or under house crawlspace in conduit. Just make sure your electrician doesn't use a Homeline panel.

Comment

• I owe the IRS 6 bills this year, celebrate

not

Comment

• Well, problem is, my house is a split level- I don't have a crawlspace under the center section of the house. It'll probably have to to up and through the attic, then back down through the wall. :\

Basement is under the far right, and it ends just to the right of the door. The whole center section is on the a pad basically, no crawlspace.

We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                  I owe the IRS 6 bills this year, celebrate

not
                  That bites. I had to shell out almost $2k a few years ago, the company I worked for that paid me "under the table" claimed me at the end of the year.

Comment

Well, problem is, my house is a split level- I don't have a crawlspace under the center section of the house. It'll probably have to to up and through the attic, then back down through the wall. :

Basement is under the far right, and it ends just to the right of the door. The whole center section is on the a pad basically, no crawlspace.

Is your panel at ground level, or basement?

Comment

That bites. I had to shell out almost $2k a few years ago, the company I worked for that paid me "under the table" claimed me at the end of the year.
                      dark memories of when I was a part owner of a tile company and didn't keep receipts....

that was a fun tax year

Comment

Is your panel at ground level, or basement?
                        Basement, unfortunately. The far, far right wall of the basement no less.

Comment

Basement, unfortunately. The far, far right wall of the basement no less.
                          I was wondering if it would be simpler to run it out of the basement and just put a trench in behind your house.

Comment

I was wondering if it would be simpler to run it out of the basement and just put a trench in behind your house.
                            Then I have to go around the enclosed porch out back.

This is the best picture I have facing the back of the house, but you get the idea.

Comment

• I have a terrible stomach bug today. This shit sucks.
                              - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Well then come on over and help me wire up my garage.

Looking to bump up my service from 100A to 200A in the near future. The garage will get a dedicated 100A for itself.

Nice.

Sup dude
                                I have a 20 amp in the house for a 4 car detached garage with one outlet and lights.

Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
                                Pretty much accurate. We don't get the higher voltage. I'll be paying the electrician from work to do it with me (I'll mostly be watching and help run wire), I don't need to burn my house down.

Also, the last feature that was done (the Porsche) is a local guy. His feature kind of urks me out, mostly because the whole "story" behind it is a bunch of puffed-up nonsense. He didn't build it, he paid a shop (which, ironically, my friend works at) to do all the work. And by all the work, I mean install the coilovers, align it, and mount the wheels. Not exactly a "build", especially when all you do is sign the checks.
                                Check out garage journal.

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
                                My box is in the basement on the opposite side of the house away from the garage.

Comment

Working...
                                X