73 2002 as DD? Or Volvo 245

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 73 2002 as DD? Or Volvo 245

Whats up, Im kinda at a crossroads. Theres a Volvo 245 (83) for sale that i was looking at buying as a daily driver. Its a wagon with the 4 speed manual. I was thinking of spending some of my deployement monies on it ($500). Ive always thought these were pretty cool
    However a couple days ago, i saw a BMW 2002 Sahara for sale also, the guy wants, wait for it, $2002 dollars for it he also says it runs goods and is all orginal down to the ac..! However the car has rust on the hood and apparently in the floor.. Im not trying to restore it, just looking for a cool classic to floss around in..

Who has had experience with either car and which would you pick?
    Link to the 73 is here

with that information go with the volvo. or find a different 2002. from the amount of rust you can see theres probably even more you cant. from the amount of rust on the hood you could probably step through the floorboard.
    Hatchbacks, wagons... It's NOT all the same. You want in? Don't get a mazda 3, get a mazda 6 wagon. Don't get a wrx get a legacy wagon. and theres a reason the A3 isn't called the A3 avant... Scion does not make a wagon it makes a weird van, but no wagons

Sincerely,
    The Wagon Mafia:Inner Circle
    P.S. Is your tail a wagon?

Show cars are lame.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebounder View Post
      with that information go with the volvo. or find a different 2002. from the amount of rust you can see theres probably even more you cant. from the amount of rust on the hood you could probably step through the floorboard.
      How bad is the volvo rust?

Comment

Since you aren't looking to restore, don't get the BMW and let somebody else buy that who will restore it. More info and pics of the Volvo?

Comment

Originally posted by niquemarshall View Post
          How bad is the volvo rust?
          i've never worked on 240s before but i've never heard any complaints or worries
          Hatchbacks, wagons... It's NOT all the same. You want in? Don't get a mazda 3, get a mazda 6 wagon. Don't get a wrx get a legacy wagon. and theres a reason the A3 isn't called the A3 avant... Scion does not make a wagon it makes a weird van, but no wagons

Sincerely,
          The Wagon Mafia:Inner Circle
          P.S. Is your tail a wagon?

Show cars are lame.

Comment

I heard that they are durable, but not the electronics, heard that they fall apart at around the 300k mark..

Comment

Originally posted by coconutt View Post
              Since you aren't looking to restore, don't get the BMW and let somebody else buy that who will restore it. More info and pics of the Volvo?
              Dont have pix anymore, but its like a dark red, faded paint, owned by a firestone mechanic, he says it was kept up with mechanically, not necesarily cosmetically, says interior is worn

Dammit i really want that 02

Comment

Nobody? I know there are a few volvo guys out here. I just know it

Comment

Check the floorboards on the Volvo, from under the car. Water drainage lines run through there are if one of those busted, the floorboards are gonna be toast. You won't be able to notice it from in the car either, due to the way the seats are mounted.

Volvo electrical was pretty crap until about '89 when they changed the insulation. Just check for brittle or corroded wires in the engine bay, especially close to the block or manifold where it gets the hottest. Look for botched repairs. Chances are these are going to be harder to work out than just fixing the original wiring.

Oh and if it ever starts having intermittent starting issues, Fuel pump relay. I used to keep a few of these in the glovebox.
                  Originally posted by AMGwheelwhore
                  Quitters never stance.

Comment

Originally posted by jacbo View Post
                    Check the floorboards on the Volvo, from under the car. Water drainage lines run through there are if one of those busted, the floorboards are gonna be toast. You won't be able to notice it from in the car either, due to the way the seats are mounted.

Volvo electrical was pretty crap until about '89 when they changed the insulation. Just check for brittle or corroded wires in the engine bay, especially close to the block or manifold where it gets the hottest. Look for botched repairs. Chances are these are going to be harder to work out than just fixing the original wiring.

Oh and if it ever starts having intermittent starting issues, Fuel pump relay. I used to keep a few of these in the glovebox.
                    Yea im aware of the electrical stuff.. I hear its usually the connectors, plus ive worked with bad wiring on aircraft so i have an idea of what to look for and how to repair it
                    As long as it doesnt cost me headaches from DDing ill be happy with it

Comment

that's because they never break down. and when they do, the parts are free and they snap into place like lego bricks. you don't even need tools.

as much as I **** to say it, (because I love 2002's) go for the volvo. They're bulletproof and a blast to own and drive. And you can make them relatively quick for pennies. All the turbo parts swap directly over.

Comment

Originally posted by C-Hutch View Post
                        that's because they never break down. and when they do, the parts are free and they snap into place like lego bricks. you don't even need tools.

as much as I **** to say it, (because I love 2002's) go for the volvo. They're bulletproof and a blast to own and drive. And you can make them relatively quick for pennies. All the turbo parts swap directly over.
                        Yea i think imma get the volvo.. I already told the guy berfore i left that if he held it for me i would take it off his hands, Plus i imagine it would be way easier to find parts for it..
                        Are the NAs any fun to drive?

Comment

Originally posted by niquemarshall View Post
                          Are the NAs any fun to drive?
                          Is it an auto?

Short answer: no.

They're slow as molasses and handle like a wheelbarrow but somehow I always feel at home in a 240. It's by no means a drivers car but it's most definitely a car you can fall in love with.
                          They just have a weird vibe and they have the most varied personalities of any car out there.

Dammit... now I'm back to wanting another one.
                          Originally posted by AMGwheelwhore
                          Quitters never stance.

Comment

Oh no! Its a 4 speed with the push button overdrive, i wouldnt drive an automatic volvo lol

Comment

Lol i had a lincoln town car before so im no stranger to slowness

Comment

Working...
                              X