counterfeiting is a crime...right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• counterfeiting is a crime...right?

So Im sort of in the parts business (I dont keep stock, just sell what I can get) And a good friend of mine partnered up with me to sell some of his wheels (roush 18x10s for 05' and up mustangs).

At first I got quite a LOT of interest, but no buyers. Then I got THE email... Dude tells me in broken english that he wants the two sets I have left. Says that he has a shipping agent in my area that will pick them up, and that he will the balance via money order.Unassumingly I agree. The total is $2000. He agrees and says he will also send extra money for the agent.

Now all this seems fine with me as a guy I worked for sold multiple landcruisers to a guy based in puerto rico, and he did in fact own a shipping company so therefore shipping was handled.

I start to get a little suspicious when I get two more e-mails in the process of a week or so from different people wanting different things all with the same story and the same broken english. His checks take awhile to come so I write him off as a scammer and sell one of his sets as I claimed one set so that leaves two sets.

My suspision was further hightened when said friends mom told me to be ware of scammers and in detail described a situation just like mine and I hadnt even told her about this guy.

So the "checks" come today. Already suspicious I dont see them as possible money but potential lulz and prepare for hilarity. I am immediatly greeted with not the 1500 I expected but $5950. Ill let you see if you guys can pick out the flaws before I unveil the truth as I took them to the post office to see if they were real. I hear back in the morning to verify the validity of these things.

Anyway me and the friend who owns the wheels were thinking of funny things to do to this dude (I'll take some more ideas if you guys have any) and on my way to murfreesboro tonight I had the ultimate idea...think Chris Hansen, Dateline.

If they are fake Im thinking of getting the authorities to come to my house when the "agent" comes and ... well "get him". I mean counterfeiting is a crime...right?

Im not worried about the other address but I trust you guys with mine...im also too lazy to cover it...

-Webb

They look real too me ..

Ha, Im going to bet the agent coming to pick them up is an oompa loompa too?
    sigpic

Comment

I dont know what they are suppesed to look like but i just really wanna know if they are real.....

1990 325is- current project
      1986 325e- Parts Donator
      2000 e46 w/ BBS #197-Totaled!!!
      1989 Turbo/intercooled 740 Volvo-Donated

"Once you buy a BMW you will notice that over the years you will slowly become a certified mechanic, your trunk will be filled with coolant, rags and ATF fluid but your life will feel complete". - Me

Comment

Wow that's a bad fake... Ben Franklin portrait should be a watermark.. And the thread shouldn't be gold foil.. Etc

Comment

its not gold thats just ma shitty lighting, but you are on the right track

Comment

The Ben Franklin looks like a 9 year old drew it
            Originally posted by da3bous
            I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

Comment

Other then him misspelling the address and it leading to an empty lot?

I've never seen a money order so I don't know what one is supposed to look like.
              Wut?

Comment

First off, there's a guy on bimmer forums who says the address is right next door to him and he'd go check it out if I wanted.

Now for the differences:

as most of you guessed the ben franklin is off, its actually supposed to be a watermark. As in not visible unless held up to a light source.

second the perforations should be on the side, not the top.
                Third the color is a bit off (shouldnt have gotten that one) its supposed to be more green than yellow.
                flip it to the back and the routing numbers can be clearly seen, not visible on a "real" check, also oddly the numbers on a "real"check can be felt. On a fake...not so much.

The last one is rather nit picky but I think its necessary to mention, the stripe on the bottom is a different size on each check.

Comment

Rather nit picky? You think the real deal would have varying sizes?

Meet up with him and shoot him

Comment

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
                    Rather nit picky? You think the real deal would have varying sizes?

Meet up with him and shoot him
                    Omfg... I am drunk atm, but when I read that, I Almost, Almost wet my pants... I think a little may have escaped.. Im going to go check now...

Originally posted by anth
                    Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Genuine

Bad Fake

There are many places in the fakes, I can see from here the micro printing is missing that is used as a border between different elements, as well the security strip is made like the strips in US currency not foil printed on the surface. That's kinda sad as far as counterfitting goes. I was printing fake ones (bad idea when much younger) that vending machines would take back in HS. They weren't amazing as the Secret Service agents pointed out all of our flaws as well, but they were much closer than that BS. Also you can hit them with IR or UV light and the flaws will jump out compared to a real money order.

Comment

^^ What'd the secret service agents end up doing with you hoodlums?

Comment

Step 1: Defecate in a box.
                          Step 2: Write that guy's address on box.
                          Step 3: Ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
                            Omfg... I am drunk atm, but when I read that, I Almost, Almost wet my pants... I think a little may have escaped.. Im going to go check now...

This.

Originally posted by Zack01GC View Post
                            Step 1: Defecate in a box.
                            Step 2: Write that guy's address on box.
                            Step 3: Ship.
                            And this.

Comment

Originally posted by crxgames View Post
                              ^^ What'd the secret service agents end up doing with you hoodlums?
                              Computers confiscated, hard drives kept as evidence, printing press confiscated, Holographic tape confiscated, ID printer confiscated, took over the house we printed at for 8 weeks while they investigated (friends parents loved that!). None of us got terribly harsh sentences from the feds since we were underage,(mostly community service) but while investigating they found a small business we had changing grades and printing fake Tennessee DLs. they turned that over to the local police and I ended up not being allowed to touch a county owned computer for the rest of my term in school there. (meaning I had to drag a laptop my parent's bought me everywhere while other student's just used the school's computers) They wanted to change the grades back but they couldn't b/c there was no record of who's grades I had changed or by how much. I spent several weeks in "in-school suspension" while they tried to figure out what I had done. I was also forced to drop all of my computer classes and ended up having to get a court order to take "computer typing" the final semester of my senior year as it was required by the state to graduate. The Police attempted to charge me with several crimes moost of which the lawer got either dropped or expunged when I turned 18. I had to move back to my parent's house until I graduated (had been living in an appartment nearby since I was 16) and had to pay the appartment complex the rest of my lease(even after moving out) due to the fraud on my part in signing the lease.

THAT SAID.

I would not advise anyone try anything even remotely close to what I did when I was younger. It cost my family a great deal of money, lots of pain, and suffering. I was lucky to escape my parent's house and get into college.

Comment

Working...
                              X