No announcement yet.

My Lowly Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm here for the people that are minded like me, that like a well fitted car no matter of the brand. And i will still be coming here day after day after day to watch all of the awesome build threads and new fresh photos. To get inspiration and a smile on my face.
    Well said and x2 on the highlighted

Comment

• I have been a frequent visitor to this site and forums for over a year now, and my opinion probably won't mean much, but these are my thoughts about the site, forums, and some of the members.

The blog section of S/W is absolutely beautiful at times. Showcasing some really unique and awesome cars with ingenuity and workmanship that is rarely seen anymore: from highly detailed chrome work of lowriders to rusted VW's. From my love of everything cars, StanceWorks showed me a whole new world of customization. I was never into the import “race” scene, but loved everything small, fast ,Japanese, turbocharged cars, I was also into hot rods, and in a strange world both of these can exist together.

At the very beginning of exploring the world of stance, the forums spoke to me first. People tearing down their cars in their drive-ways and actually building their cars to their own taste. StanceWorks set the framework, but attention to detail belonged to the builder.

The community and members were informative and helpful from their own experiences and even their failures. Without being active in the conversations I learned a lot, the information that given was priceless and doing the right thing was in.

Now, lately the blog seems to be a catalyst for the unrelatable. Some posts seem to address new heights for the unobtainable and apparel offerings for those in a different class. To be specific, the new featured event, Avila Motoring Invitational, seems to be very unapproachable for most, and seems its tailored for a specific group of people and their cars.

The forums now belong to elitists and a place for hostility. The growth and innovation that forums have inspired now has grown stagnant and breathes elitism all over it. StanceWorks seemed to be a place for a more mature setting with a light-hearted approach that other sites just didn’t have or couldn’t produce, now I don‘t know. It has developed this elitist attitude on one half and a upscale “restaurant” for those in a dinner jacket and pipe on the other.

I do enjoy StanceWorks and offers the best in the scene, I just hope some fundamental changes are made to make it more accessible to those that want to build original, unique, and beautiful works of art.

Side note: this is something that everyone should be responsible for. An approach to car building that puts safety>form>function, one not being more important than the others except for safety. Most people can identify with it, some cannot, I think these should be preached in every build or suggestion. There is a disconnect present that sets a very dangerous precedent for all of us and we are all responsible in curtailing. I am witnessing more and more hazards in the builds section than before for the sake of form>function theology.

Comment

• SW will be a home of mine for the rest of my life, even if I stop being active online. Nothing has changed to me. Not a single thing. Every picture and every word on the main page is exactly what SW is about. Community. Passion. Variety. The articles put shivers down my spine, butterflies in my stomach, teach me something, or, at the absolute least, put a big smile on my face.

I know I've been distant to my SW homies, and some have been distant to me. But I know how crazy busy I am right now in my life and I see the things happening on here to know that other people are just as busy. Life happens, especially for those that are driven. To say Mike, Ben, and Andrew are driven is a huge understatement. I'll be chatting at a meet or drinking a beer with my SW boys soon enough, and I'll remember how nothing at all has changed.

That's all I really have to say. I'll spare you guys another novel.

IG: @_olliee

Comment

• Originally posted by StateOfTheArtMS3 View Post
          To be specific, the new featured event, Avila Motoring Invitational, seems to be very unapproachable for most, and seems its tailored for a specific group of people and their cars.
          I just want to reiterate that the somewhat swanky golf course location is not indicative of any sort of unapproachable or exclusive nature for the event. It's simply meant to be a beautiful scenery for the same cars and people who have ALWAYS been a part of the SW community. I mean, who wouldn't want to park their low cars on a well manicured patch of grass on a sunny day next to the beach? I know I would.

The entrance fees will be like any other car event, we'll offer affordable hotels and dining for your stay, it's located further north in the state to make it more accessible for a greater number of people, and all sorts of makes and models will be allowed to join in from hot-rods to imports. Literally, the ONLY thing that will make it unapproachable is if the location is too far away (or in the wrong country) for our members to drive and attend.

Anyone and any car is welcome to join in. This event will be as inviting as any other you've attended...the only difference is that it will be held at a beautiful venue by the shore. With our events, we have always offered unique and interesting venues that change each year. The golf course is just a continuation of this practice.
          Last edited by Rally; 03-05-2012, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• BUSTER!
            Low Standards
            Seffer on the Stanceworks
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
              I have to agree with Andrew (rally) 100%. The lambo alone doesn't warrant a "shift" to the unattainable. Nic's car, my car, John Zuberek's cars, Mikes shop truck, the y33, the mr2, and many more are all built by the owners and the community with whatever blood and sweat they take from them, to make them just how the owner envisioned, and no one else.

If that's not what Stanceworks is about, I don't know what is.
              This right here is why I am on SW. I have not seen any other site showcase the people behind the cars like SW does. I told Ben this quite sometime ago, that's what brings me here. I enjoy reading about the people just as much as I do about the cars.
              @slowprogress

Comment

• I stopped reading a few pages ago and my english might not be perfect but here is what i think is going wrong or at least is a little misunderstood:

This forum started as a alternative for all the forums where people can ask how to change their oil,like someone already mentioned. Also, like Paul already mentioned as well, there are mainly males between 16 and lets say 35 on here.
                It all started with sticker bombing, maybe cheap wheels, many things may have been improvised on our cars. But i guess that it's time for the scene to step up. Most of the members on here over the years developed a much more mature style of modifying cars. S|W is the site where you hardly find people bitching at each other. And that is something all of us should appreciate. It's like a family: we might not get along with all of the members, but at least we are mature enough to deal with them in a "normal" way.
                In my opinion, this is what Ben, Mike and Andrew are trying to step up. To get away from all the shitty cars out there and the all the owners who think they are better people. Just to get some class in here because most of us are capable to have it.
                And that is the point: Doing so with featuring a very expensive car with a very expensive suspension and very expensive wheels maybe is not the right way to do it. Most of the cars here look good, have modifications worth of 10k's of dollars. But these modifications were not made at the same. It took several years to complete these cars. And this is what i would not forget.
                Step up, grow up, take this site with its people full of ideas to a next level, but never forget the people's roots.

I hope you understood what i wanted to say and please, don't take some remarks all too serious.

Edit: What i really appreciate is the fact, Ben, Mike and Andrew found sponsors, who are there to support most of our ideas. Wheels, suspension and different bespoke modifications - something everyone on here is looking for at least once.
                Last edited by K.rischan; 03-07-2012, 05:19 AM.
                Originally posted by Oxer
                I dont know why, but I love your car.. Its OEM cleanness makes me happy in the genitals.

Comment

• My Two Pennies or Three....

Not that I am a big contributor to the forums or have posted builds of my own for that matter, I do frequent this website everyday and find it one of the most refreshing takes on our automotive culture. When I first discovered StanceWorks I was very excited to see, hear and read about all the builds happening across this world, people in their garages working on everyday vehicles making them something special, great feature articles and so on. And that has never changed in my opinion. We live in a progressive society. Nothing we do is to remain in the same place or be regressive. We go to school in hopes of a better educational and financial future. We learn new skills, trades, ideals to better ourselves and help others. We work to move forward and attain new heights. To reach goals once viewed as unobtainable. History has shown this progression from the first Space Shuttle launch all the way back to when Henry Ford started a revolution of mass produced vehicles and waged workers. To stand still is to be left behind.

Of course, as we progress and as StanceWorks progresses as an automotive outlet you may come across bumps, hiccups or maybe certain ideals to others not seeming as brightly lit as before. I say seeming, because we don't know the full scope on what the creators behind this forum and website are trying to undertake. What I do know, is that the people I have read about on these pages building amazing machines are still here and pushing forward this community. There are still plenty of people contributing worthwhile pieces of information along with new relationships being built each day. Of course, when the numbers grow as for your fan base you'll find more people that might take away from the original core groups strong ideas and good attitude. Its a numbers game you play. As Biggie said, "mo' money mo' problems" or "mo' people mo' issues" or something of that sort. The point being is this, never once have I noticed StanceWorks dwindling into the overly-hyped, elitist, this-way-or-the-highway, way of thinking. Their core values are shining brighter than ever. The driving gloves, the attire, t-shirts all are of exceptional quality. And quality is what this community has been lacking for years. I am sick of cheaply made printed shirts with advertisements, thrown at me from a stage with a wet t-shirt contest happening, with contestants that I wouldn't want to call my girlfriend if paid. Why do we have to succumb to meeting up at a local McDonalds or abandoned warehouse/parking lot (even though the quick get-togethers are a welcome change of pace during weeks/months) and not have the opportunity to showcase what we have built at venues normally reserved for a higher class? Why can't I park my car on some nicely maintained fairways while gazing at vistas and not at the same time be real to my ideals of this community? Must I be behind the local supermarket in order to feel accepted or in place? That's ridiculous. The Avila Motoring Invitational is exactly what I have been waiting for. A venue of beauty, class, like-minded enthusiasts and the cars we love and the style we have adopted. I remember hearing people complain about our "scene' from the outset not being taken seriously and Import shows getting a certain type-cast. Watching a company or forum for that matter step up to the plate and only offer quality merchandise, photos, journalism, and craftsmanship is a breath of fresh air.

Quality doesn't mean you need $10K wheels or a supercar, but a passion for what your building, a willingness to learn, to do it right, to gain from it, is what I mean by "quality'. And it is widely still apparent in these forums and on the pages of StaneWorks. When I saw the article for the Lambo I immediately said, "...this is crazy!" Why? Because if ever I reach the goal of owning a Lambo I will most definitely be calling up HRE for some Vintage Series dishes and Liberty Walk. To see it featured is an amazing opportunity for all of us to witness what it would be like for a supercar to take on OUR way of building cars as opposed to the masses. How often does that opportunity show itself on the internet? The mere fact anyone would want to lower a Lambo is a testament to the way of thinking of styling cars has progressed from years ago. Was quality involved in how it was built? Absolutely. Was it wrenched on by hand? I don't know. But, why does it matter. I have wrenched on my fair share of vehicles and can say that if I owned a car costing $250k I'd be a little skeptical about taking a phone book or baseball bat to its fenders, if I wasn't a professional in that area. Not to focus on just one mentioned article, I'm glad to be apart of a community that is progressively moving towards higher reaches. Along the way being able to witness all variety of cars (isn't that what being a car "enthusiasts" means...?), ideas coming into fruition, owners work being showcased and partnerships being developed, is clearly an indication that we have just begun.

Keep up all the hard work.
                  Last edited by 00Negro; 03-08-2012, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ratmog View Post
                    i joined s|w for the community and the fact that nobody really gave a shit that my car wasn't what they wanted - and even though my build has been on hold since the 1800s i've had nothing but good feedback and ideas from the members here. (rt you don't count you heartless souls ; i really enjoy the blog and browsing the many many posts that are up on the forums every day. I enjoy the quick responses and discussions and how not every thread is an argument vw vs bmw or hondabois jdmming it up, yo. Every member does what he or she wants to do, and has fun with it. I like that.

Sure the blog has deviated a bit and delved occasionally into a lifestyle only some of us dare dream of, but does that really matter? S|w is successful and is run by people with excellent networking - that is going to happen. Brush it off, get on with it and continue making the forum the best it can be.

Having run a website or two in the past i can only imagine what it takes to keep this place going. Makes my head hurt thinking of it!
                    Originally posted by alexander View Post
                    no matter how this forum & community grows or changes i will always come here. Nothing else offers such a wide selection of featured cars, build threads and useful info while still focusing on the community aspect. I spend time everyday to make sure i am up to date with my favourite builds or just seeing what's new.

All of this is why i first joined and why i love sw.
                    Threads like this is why I love this forum truely and sincerly. While we all have different opinions this is the only place I have seen where people can voice them and things stay positive.

I joined fairly early while the awesome builds brought me here the community is what really kept me coming back. Just as someothers have already stated. No where else has the epic content, a real sense of family, and such a positive vibe like this place does. I have looked and lost count of how many forums I'm joined to.

Now I understand what Paul is saying in its core. This place has changed, some for the better other not so much. I love how many more features we are getting on the blog and not just photoshoots they are real content with wonderfully written words that tell their story (great job guys). The content released by StanceWorks has always been above par, exeeding expetations and ground breaking. I also love the diverisity in content and while I am not always a fan of some mods, I can always appreciate the work and care that goes into all of them.

Now was I suprised by the cost of some of the items released by lowly gentlemen? Yes. Did I understand why? Mostly. Was I suprised to see so many new vendors and who they are join the site? Slightly. Was I happy about this? No, I was ESTATIC to see it grow! When I shocked when I realized how much the HRE vintage wheels cost? Fuck yeah, but thats cuz I'm a cheap ass with no money who wants everything for nothing. lol Does that make me wish it didnt happen or think what was the point? Fuck No, I was still happy. Pretty much the same thing happened when the StanceWorks Coilovers came out just a little more down scale. But lets think does any of this really effect the reason that brings me to this site? NO, I'm happy that StanceWorks is finding a way to support the business side of things and continue to grow. What really has me coming back is the forum and the feeling of community it has here.

Have we seen many more new screen names in the growing forum? Yes. Has life changed for some of the "old dogs" and we not see them as much? Yes. Should that matter to how our community feels? NO. While both things can both effect the feel of a forum it is the job of the remaing OGs and other members to shape and influence the growth of the community. If you dont like the way things are going state it, change it, make a difference even if only one at a time. Call on the other to do the same. This will can have more influence that some leaving and others coming in. If you feel over burden call on your old friends and remind them why they were here in the first place. Hope they comeback and join us but dont be upset if life has moved them on.

In closing I would like to say THANK YOU to the founders and old dogs. Continue to grow the site the way you have. Always remember your roots and dont be strangers we do miss you. To the new blood and remaining old, pick up the reins. Learn what this site is about and steer it so that its core remains true to its path.

PS: To the lowly gentlemen, I love all your stuff but remember alot of us are still broke (or cheap) make us some inexpensive items too please.

For Sale - e24 Build thread

Add me on Facebook
                    Instagram @Dared_Turtle

Comment

• Originally posted by K.rischan View Post
                      I stopped reading a few pages ago and my english might not be perfect but here is what i think is going wrong or at least is a little misunderstood:

This forum started as a alternative for all the forums where people can ask how to change their oil,like someone already mentioned. Also, like Paul already mentioned as well, there are mainly males between 16 and lets say 35 on here.
                      It all started with sticker bombing, maybe cheap wheels, many things may have been improvised on our cars. But i guess that it's time for the scene to step up. Most of the members on here over the years developed a much more mature style of modifying cars. S|W is the site where you hardly find people bitching at each other. And that is something all of us should appreciate. It's like a family: we might not get along with all of the members, but at least we are mature enough to deal with them in a "normal" way.
                      In my opinion, this is what Ben, Mike and Andrew are trying to step up. To get away from all the shitty cars out there and the all the owners who think they are better people. Just to get some class in here because most of us are capable to have it.
                      And that is the point: Doing so with featuring a very expensive car with a very expensive suspension and very expensive wheels maybe is not the right way to do it. Most of the cars here look good, have modifications worth of 10k's of dollars. But these modifications were not made at the same. It took several years to complete these cars. And this is what i would not forget.
                      Step up, grow up, take this site with its people full of ideas to a next level, but never forget the people's roots.

I hope you understood what i wanted to say and please, don't take some remarks all too serious.

Edit: What i really appreciate is the fact, Ben, Mike and Andrew found sponsors, who are there to support most of our ideas. Wheels, suspension and different bespoke modifications - something everyone on here is looking for at least once.
                      Not to bash you, but the i think the highlighted part is so wrong. It did not start with sticker bombing and maybe cheap wheels. S|W started with purist over at bimmerforums bashing all of the cars, because they *edit thought the cars were ruined by the lowness and stretched tires. In my opinion the owners always had class. Doing simple modest mods, with the exception of aggressive wheels and drop.
                      Last edited by Zic; 03-17-2012, 04:05 PM.
                      -Instagram@jdjurhuus
                      Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Working...
                      X