The Beer Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beer Appreciation Thread

Seeing as several members here have a vested interested in good beer (IE not piss water; Budweiser, Miller, etc) I thought it would be cool to post up good beers you've had in the past weeks,months, and have a place to talk about them.

I'll start out...

The beer on the left is a great Belgian. Somewhat sweet, high alcohol - but hides it well. Unfortunately it's almost $10 so I don't buy it often, but it's up there with Chimay for me. The one on the right was good, but not memorable enough to take a mental tasting note.

(pardon the borrowed photo but both shots I have of this beer below were at night and came out a bit blury)

Brooklyn Monster Ale happens to be my favorite beer ever. If you like Barley wine, or havent tried this particular style before - I highly recommend it. It's sweet, with a lot of flavors going on at once. It's 10.80% ABV, and you will feel it after two. I've went from sober to drunk after three. It's one of those beers that is so delicious that despite the alcohol content you can drink it easily. It's also not too hoppy if that is something you look for in beer. I've had two other Barley Wines from Real Ale and Sam Adams that were quite hoppy and bitter; but this one almost tastes like dried fruit mixed with caramel. What sucks about it though, is its only available during Winter.
    Last edited by kaidotech; 01-25-2012, 06:55 PM.
    | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Some beers I remembered to takes pics of before they were gone

In case you haven't noticed, I like my beers darker than the back of Forest Whitaker's neck.
    Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

appreciate thread

Comment

Originally posted by Dudermagee View Post
        Some beers I remembered to takes pics of before they were gone...

In case you haven't noticed, I like my beers darker than the back of Forest Whitaker's neck.
        Damn! I'm so jealous. That is the exact style of beer I prefer as well, and I've never seen or heard of half of those beers. The Youngs is a pretty good beer to sip on and is easily available down here. Never tried the banana one though - was a little freaked out by the idea. The only Mekeller I've ever had was a Barley Wine and was the most horrific beer I've ever had... It was just straight bitter. No hop flavor... no flavor at all really. Almost like what alka seltzer tastes like. Havent tried the one you pictured either.

Have you had Convict Oatmeal Stout?
        Last edited by kaidotech; 01-25-2012, 06:57 PM.
        | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

Originally posted by Lukey View Post
          appreciate thread
          *Fixed. Thanks for spotting that lol. I havent even appreciated any beers yet!

Comment

Everyone knows Natty Ice is where it's at
            I dislike Byron.

Comment

Originally posted by kaidotech View Post
              *Fixed. Thanks for spotting that lol. I havent even appreciated any beers yet!
              wut.

shouldnt it be appreciation thread, thats what i was trying to get at

Comment

wut.

shouldnt it be appreciation thread, thats what i was trying to get at
                Yes... which is why I changed it to "appreciation thread" instead of "appreciate thread" and thanked you...? *confused*

Comment

Originally posted by got splits? View Post
                  Everyone knows Natty Ice is where it's at
                  Bro, dont even get me started.

Comment

Damn! I'm so jealous. That is the exact style of beer I prefer as well, and I've never seen or heard of half of those beers. The Youngs is a pretty good beer to sip on and is easily available down here. Never tried the banana one though - was a little freaked out by the idea. The only Mekeller I've ever had was a Barley Wine and was the most horrific beer I've ever had... It was just straight bitter. No hop flavor... no flavor at all really. Almost like what alka seltzer tastes like. Havent tried the one you pictured either.

Have you had Convict Oatmeal Stout?

We have a couple dope beer re sellers around here. I drink Youngs when I'm being cheap and nothing better is around, if not that then Guinness. The Banana one is good with Youngs, not really that good by itself. The Mekeller is my favorite but its also the most expensive at about 15-18 bucks a pint or so IIRC so I only drink it every now and then. Another awesome one is the Imperial storm trooper stout, but its local and they don't sell it out of state too much. Founders makes great beer if you can find em, but they are rare as fuck in my area. Rogue is always good, and I love the meantime porters and stouts.

There are alot of others I've had but didn't take pics of.
                    Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

Imperial Storm Trooper Stout...? I must find this beer. I've got like 50 pictures of random beers... my friends all think I'm nuts because I'll open a beer, pour it into a glass then set them aside to take a cool picture. Theyre always like "Yep... he's taking a picture of his beer again" haha

Comment

Yes... which is why I changed it to "appreciation thread" instead of "appreciate thread" and thanked you...? *confused*
                        it still says appreciate on the forum index

Comment

it still says appreciate on the forum index
                          Does a mod have to change that? I went back and changed it in my first post under "Title".

Comment

did you go to advanced?

Comment

Ive had nearly all those beers the banana bread beer is amazing! Im more of a porter fan myself Breckinridge Vanilla Porter is really good and there is a new company called Scuttlebutt who makes a great porter.
                              Follow on IG
                              amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
                              Vintage AME Wheels
                              RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
                              W115 & W123

Comment

Working...
                              X