E34 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E34 question

I know there a bit on the rare side so im sure not many here have owned one, but i am kind of shopping around for a very pristine e34 m5. My question is on the e34 chasis itself is there anything besides the obvious (rust,accidents) i should look for? Certain type of recalls or regular maintenance issues? If i cant find a m5 version that i want what is the next one down worth getting. The car will sit nice but nowhere to "stancworks" standards. Im old and want the car to handle lol. Power is important to me thats why im looking at the m5 first. Has anyone had the chance to drive the 540 version?

I have made a serious offer on a m5 on ebay but the guy is wanting godly money for it. I can buy a nice early 90s 911 for the same money. Just some advice would be great. I truely only want advice from people that A. has owned this chasis or B. knows them inside and out. Im not looking for what your brothers cousins third uncle said about them because his best friend worked at a bmw dealership. Thank you in advance.

If anyone wants to know my budget im looking at the 15-20k range. Im not looking to buy another chasis of bmw at the moment. If i cant find what i want by christmas i am sticking with my love for japanese cars and either A. getting a NSX..i know its more then my budget but its tons sexier then a e34..lol or a FD chasis rx7.Regardless all three chasis of cars has to be as close to stock as possible for me even considering them.
    I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Ive considered this one but its a auto and not a m5...im going to hold out to see if i can find my first choice.

Comment

wow not one opinion?

Comment

Only thing I know of with my old E34 was that the door handles had rubber gaskets. Over time those gaskets would become dry and brittle and crack. Water would seep in and collect at the seam at the bottom of the door and the doors would rust there REALLY badly. On mine all 4 doors were rusting that way. It's where BMW pinches and rolls the shell around the bottom of the door.

Comment

e34's are great cars, I've had a few of them. One of them was a 540i auto that I converted to 6 speed because of a dead transmission, which is pretty common. If I were you I would hold out for a manual transmission 540i or m5. My 540i was stock with a chip and dynoed at 255/270 to the wheels, the guy that bought it from me topped it out at 167 mph on GPS during the ride home. The 540i is going to be a lot more enjoyable to drive around town too, m5's are a little bit peaky with the power delivery. They also get a solid ~28mpg on the higway

One thing to watch out for with the 540i is the nikasil recall. Most of the blocks were replaced in e34 540's because the nikasil cylinder linings deteriorated and caused a loss of compression. It was mostly a problem because of high sulfur content in lower quality gas shouldn't be an issue today, regardless, but you can call BMW with the VIN to check if the recall was performed, or check the passenger side of the block for the casting number. Alusil is the coating used in the replacement blocks

M60B40:
          · 1 725 963 - Nikasil
          · 1 742 998 - Nikasil
          · 1 745 872 - Alusil

As far as general e34 issues. Steering and front suspension are the most common things, a lot of e34's exhibit the famous 55 mph shimmy. Usually a product of bad upper control arms and steering parts. Whatever you do, buy the good stuff the first time because they'll eat cheap bushings. Problem rust areas are generally under the lower door trims, it the car has any rust it'll definitely have it there. They also have a few interior issues that often occur such as de-laminating door panels and twisting seat backs.

Comment

Oh yea, every BMW I have ever owned had one or more of the fabric on the headliner and/or pillars peel off due to the crappy adhesive used. Also, every BMW I have ever owned, the rear parcel shelf was purple. Something about UV light changing the color of the dye. I had the twisting seats, it's an easy fix. The M5's are considerably more expensive too!

Comment

Good stuff im glad u guys chimed in. I can definately get a m5 in my range. The 540 seems to be the better deal though. I can buy a very nice one under ten and still have money for maintenance/performance mods. I will do a drop on it but like i said i like comfort..im old and dont want my kidneys to jar loose..lol. Ill probaly keep my eyes open for a west coast model and i will hold out for a manual..im 41 and have never owned a auto..just not my style. I would like to do poly bushings because i do like back road thrashing so the car will be more setup up for auto-x, track days then pure style. Again thanks for all the good info

Comment

Working...
              X