Australian Car Law?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Car Law?

Me and my family are currently in the UK but are looking at moving to Australia
    Brisbane specifically.
    Weve tried before but the company went bust so lost all our money etc, bad times
    The oportunity has come again so we are giving it another go

What im curious at is whats the 'car scene' like down-under? Not only that but what 'laws' are in place to say what you can and cannot do? Ive heard its pretty limited, along with no engine conversions or changed of the induction (i.e you cant turbo a N/A engine if its not turbo from factory etc) but ive not been able to find much on it.

In the UK pretty much anything goes , aslong as its recoreded, and you pay your insurance for it, then you can have WHATEVER you want. The only things we cant really touch is numberplates etc and other small things. Want a twin-engine, tiwn turbo charged, 1500bhp smart car, go for it

not exactly sure on what the laws are like in Queensland butas far as i know they are not much different across Australia, in Western Australia your car has to be the same as when it left the dealership with no mods.

In saying that it doesnt stop you from modifying your car just dont get caught or you can get permits to drive a modified vehicle but to get those you have to get engineers reports which is a long process and costs a ton of money.

But not to put you off, i drive a modified vehicle and most of the time the police leave you alone as long as your not being stupid on the road or your car doesnt look dodgy ie: massive amounts of camber or there's sparks flying from how low you are LOL!!

hope this helps
    Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2011, 09:51 PM.

Comment

main ones are:

not lower than 100mm
      nearly all modifications must be signed off by a certified engineer. If they dont like it, too bad.

You can change engines, add a turbo or supercharger etc, as long as you get it certified to be legal.

Comment

A friend of mine in Brisbane got a ticket a while back for driving with his fog lights on. Pain to have a modded car down under, but it is what it is I guess.
        1996 Saab 9000 Aero

Comment

I live in Brisbane.
          They can be a pain in the ass. But as was said before, if you get everything engineered (I know a few engineers that will certify seats, suspension etc for a case of beer) You won't have trouble.

Obviously things will draw attention, you will get pulled up a fair bit in a modified car, almost to the point where you need to budget for it in your travel time, BUT If everything is certified they cannot touch you.

I have a PDF Document - Modification of a Motor vehicle 2, from the Queensland Government. If you're interested it outlines basically everything. PM Me your email address and Ill send it through.

1987 BMW e28 535i
          "Respect your elders"

Comment

they can still defect you for something you have engineered, but you just show that its engineered when you clear it and its all good.

Comment

The amount of times police tried to defect me for driving with my roof and doors off, with my windscreen folded down in my 1977 Landcruiser was ridiculous. In the end I just held up the piece of paper from the manufacturer before they got to the window.

Doors and roofs were optional extras. > Police.
              Notepad comes out, notepad goes back in.

Most police dont understand the ins and outs of cars, unless there official defect officers.
              (and then in alot of cases they still dont understand)

1987 BMW e28 535i
              "Respect your elders"

Comment

Cops anywhere in australia can defect you for anything.

You cant legally modifiy anything, even if its legal, its illegal to the police and the can and will fine you.
                Originally posted by anth
                Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

if your going to queensland your already one step ahead of everywhere else

they seem to be the most lenient and easiest state to get away with modifications, and have a pretty big scene, alot of sex spec though, probably not as big 'stance' scenes as sydney or melbourne though
                  yeh tumblr indie hipster shit...

http://saltsandsnowrubber.tumblr.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X