hand-shaking etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrUcKeR View Post
    If a woman is introducing herself to me, I wait until she offers her hand.

If I am introducing myself to woman, I offer my hand.

A woman needs to know how to offer/reciprocate a handshake, based on the type of meeting it is. If it is a business or professional meeting, a standard handshake is proper. But the man must let the woman set the firmness of the shake, and then respond to her 'grip'.

If it is a casual or romantic meeting, she should be offering her hand in the 'kiss my hand' style, at which point a man should know how to respond to that style, and can even go as far as placing his other hand gently over the top of hers in addition to the shake, in lieu of kissing her hand.

If being introduced, the person whose name is spoken first should initiate the handshake, as the person doing the introduction should be introducing the person they know least, to the person they know most. and as the newcomer, it is their responsibility to demonstrate manners as a way to leave a good first impression.

Of course, neither parents nor schools teach proper manners any more, so few know how to handle these situations. I find that it's just easier to fist-bump everyone in a social setting, and if a person has their hands full, I will offer an elbow-bump instead (too be funny/break the awkwardness of people wanting to shake but can't).

And I can't stand anything more than a simple handshake. Nothing makes you a d-bag more than knowing you expect me to do a 3-5 position shake (a'la gangsta), and expect me to know the order in which you will proceed. And overly strong handshakes are taboo as well, even between guys. If I feel you are about to break a bone, I will drop you with a left hook, regardless of the situation. An overly firm handshake is a sign of ignorance/aggression/dominance that I find extremely offensive, and in my case, will be met with a higher level of such. Don't be a dick.

As a non-nonsense tough guy, my approach is this:

If you are a woman, and you want to shake hands, grow some pubes and stick your damn hand out. It's isn't the 1950's any more, and this isn't Iran.
    I was going to write something, but this is exactly what I would have said, except I pretty much never fist bump, and never ever do it to girls. And I wouldn't have put the nice pictures. Only other thing I can add is that if I'm introducing myself to a girl I'm not interested in then it's a basic hand shake but with alot less grip as a handshake with another man. If it's a girl I find attractive, and might want to take home then they get a special sensual hand shake from me.

Comment

i usually dont meet and greet my comrades in the kitchen.

i kid. or do i?
      Originally posted by Kielan
      I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

I was always told a man is supposed to have a firm handshake and a good judge the type of person they are to note if they make eye contact and hold it for the length of the handshake.

I'm pretty outgoing so i always shake hands with people unless i dont like them or they seem to be a tool from the start. The "gangsta" hand slap stuff went out the window long ago.
        chUD..........Asphalt-sux

"Success causes envy , jealousy & hatred from the un-successful !!!! "Gregg Valentino

Comment

I never shake hands, but that's just because everyone is beneath me...

Maybe no one dared shake your hand in fear of getting beat up by Mike for making a pass at you?

But seriously, not shaking your hand while shaking everyone elses is kinda weird if you ask me.
          I find shaking hands with women just as ordinary as shaking a mans hand.
          In fact I prefer it, since if I have to touch someone else I prefer it to be someone of the opposite sex.
          |Proper stance and stretch = An acquired taste|

Comment

I actually shook some female hands today... Met some new people in my classes.
            I personally don't have any problem shaking a woman's hand...

Don't really understand why other men would have such a problem...

Comment

I'll shake your hand.

Comment

^^

Comment

i wish we had a puking smiley

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

hey now. if mike was willing to shakeyour hand wouldn't you let him??

Comment

^^^damn it i messed up the itallics. i need to be schooled in the ways of the interwebz

Comment

Mike has shaked my hand

But on the realz, I usually refrain from meeting a girl who is in a large group of people because she is most likely with one of those dudes. I'm not a person who believes that girls belong to guys, but, where I live there are a shit ton of Douche bags, and I don't like getting punched in the face. So If they are introduced to me I'll shake hands, I do nice and gentle though, let um know I can take care of them, treat um right and to a dinner by the candle light. Then it comes as no surprise, what they need is an older guy, with a little bit of life experience, the right cloths and the right apearance, oo girl wouldn't that feel nice.

Comment

DuWerk: It seems you offer bonafied lovin'...

Comment

Originally posted by E36Bimmer93 View Post
                            they get a special sensual hand shake from me.
                            Like a normal handshake with a fondle in the velvet underground...creep.

Realz tho, I only shake a hand if its put in front of me for the specific task of shaking...then I own that shit.

Comment

Originally posted by 6erWebb View Post
                              Like a normal handshake with a fondle in the velvet underground...creep.

Realz tho, I only shake a hand if its put in front of me for the specific task of shaking...then I own that shit.
                              Exactly

No, it's hard to describe. It's a soft grasp of the hand, normally with my thumb on top of their fingers (like I'm about to raise their hand to kiss it) then I let my fingers slowly slide off their hand after the introduction instead of just releasing like a normal handshake. I donno, hard to describe i guess.
                              Last edited by E36Bimmer93; 10-22-2009, 11:12 PM.

Comment

^^Playa right here

Comment

Working...
                                X