Spring CL-eaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring CL-eaning

Today’s title is about as apt as it gets. The CL500, fresh out of the paint booth, will be going through a bit of cleaning-related maintenance.

When we last left the CL500, it was prepped for the final layers of paint and clearcoat. Well, shortly thereafter, Vern finished laying down both the silver and the clearcoat, and it was brought out to be buffed to a sparkling finish.

After a little more TLC, she’s clean enough to eat off. Well, actually, we don’t ever recommend eating off a freshly painted surface, or any vehicular surface for that matter. But the point stands — it’s looking way, way better than how it looked when it rolled into the shop. Between the front end and the refreshed wheels, it looks nearly brand new.

Now that we have it looking new, it’s time to have it running like new, as well. The second we removed the valve covers, we knew we’d be in for a bit of spring cleaning on this CL.

Engine sludge is not a fun little guy to deal with. If left unchecked for long enough, it can cause issues up to and including engine failure. Thankfully, we caught it early enough, but the valvetrain was still covered in a fair bit of sludge. There are two main factors that can cause buildup of this nature: first, putting off oil changes beyond a certain mileage can cause the contaminants within the old oil to start collecting in the head; second, excessive idling can cause some fuel to sneak past the piston rings (which don’t seat fully, compared to when the motor is under load) and mix with the oil. Both of those situations in tandem can create a rather nasty mess. Thankfully, this isn’t our first sludge rodeo, so after some deep cleaning we were able to see the valvetrain a bit more clearly.

The engine is much better now, and we’re recommending shorter oil changes for a while to help it, but it took a fair bit of sludge removal to get it to that point. As you can see from the two rags below, we had to remove a fair deal of buildup. Anybody here a fan of extra-chunky peanut butter?

Finally, on a non-Mercedes note, we had a Jaguar in the shop yesterday for a heater box replacement. Much like the oft-feared heater core, it required a massive disassembly of the dashboard. While it may seem a bit scary, it’s no different than the other parts of the car — screws, clips and bolts. There’s just a lot of them.

Thanks for reading, and we’ll see you back here tomorrow for some showcasing of our favorite pastime - exhaust fabrication!

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Its so cool to see that a professional shop uses the foot well as a bolt tray to 'organize' the bolts from the job just like me :P
    Originally posted by JC.
    'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by soab View Post
      Its so cool to see that a professional shop uses the foot well as a bolt tray to 'organize' the bolts from the job just like me :P
      We always clean the interiors when we're done, so if we're working in the interior, we'll keep necessary bolts in the footwell so that everything is close and accounted for.

It's not much fun when you end up in a Lego situation -- everything's back together, yet you find yourself missing two important bolts and you have no idea where they went.

From the majority of shop pictures I've seen from others, it's more or less par for the course with interior bolts/screws, since they don't accrue much dirt sitting in the dashboard.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
      www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Eww. I've disassembled cleaner engines on 60 year old americans.
        sigpic

BMW M5 V8 1993
        Slowtoys CC

Comment

Originally posted by herrakani View Post
          Eww. I've disassembled cleaner engines on 60 year old americans.
          Yeah, it wasn't good. The car sat for a while. Thankfully it's doing much better after the cleaning.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
          www.stanceworks.com

Comment

What did you guys use to clean all that crud out? just rags or some form of spray cleaner?

Follow Me On Instagram! @jvc8790 #jvcphotography

Comment

Originally posted by JVC View Post
              What did you guys use to clean all that crud out? just rags or some form of spray cleaner?
              The tech was nice enough to arrange all the gunk on a single rag (well, 1 per bank) for me to shoot. I'm not quite sure what he used to clean out the heads, but suffice to say it's a pretty nasty job either way.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
              www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Ive used diesel to clean the sludge out of heads and oil pans before. Diesel is actually a pretty serious solvent so it breaks down the sludge in no time. Not sure i would use it on anything with rubber gaskets though...
                Word

Comment

Working...
                X